• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A man suspected of critically injuring a baby was arrested Friday, South Fulton police said.

Investigators went to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Scottish Rite Monday after an 18 days old infant tested positive for the antifreeze chemical ethylene glycol.

The suspect was later identified as the child's father 45-year-old Curtis Jack

According to police, Jack faces several charges including misdemeanor child endangerment, felony criminal attempt to commit murder, and felony 1st-degree cruelty to children.

Jack was booked into the Fulton County jail.

The baby’s condition has not been released.
1603061149856.png

I thought antifreeze was made intentionally bitter so no one would mistake it for koolaide or whatever. I'm glad the doctors that discovered this was thinking outside the box on this one because antifreeze poisoning can be mistaken for other illnesses to start with.

I thought antifreeze was made intentionally bitter so no one would mistake it for koolaide or whatever. I'm glad the doctors that discovered this was thinking outside the box on this one because antifreeze poisoning can be mistaken for other illnesses to start with.
Supposedly it tastes sweet...which is why so many animals go for it.

Nope.

. Ethylene glycol is the ingredient that makes antifreeze tasty. Though colorless and odorless, the syrupy alcohol derivative—which is excellent at lowering the freezing points of vital engine fluids—has a sweet taste that jibes well with soda, juice, and other sugary beverages.

I know antifreeze is sweet like koolaide, that's why I thought that years ago they started adding something to it to make it more bitter and less appetizing, because of the accidental poisonings of kids and animals and to make it harder to use as a murder weapon. But I guess I was wrong.
Post automatically merged:

Okay I found this about it.

Now the manufacturers of those products have determined to do something about all the carnage. They are making antifreeze taste awful — so very bitter that it will be nigh impossible to drink by accident.

Seventeen states already require manufacturers to add so-called bittering agents to ethylene glycol products. The Consumer Specialty Products Association, which represents the key manufacturers, voluntarily has agreed to require members to add these agents to all consumer products containing the compound sold nationwide. The first batches of unpalatable antifreeze started hitting store shelves last year; this year customers can buy only the bitter versions.

The action came about in part because of a surprisingly warm relationship between the Humane Society and the C.S.P.A. Both groups had earlier worked together to propose federal legislation requiring bittering agents in antifreeze. But after repeated failures, they realized that an industry agreement was a more likely resolution.

“Most people survive because they get treatment a lot faster,” said Sara Amundson, executive director of the Humane Society Legislative Fund. “We often don’t catch the problem with animals until it’s too late, partly because they often go away to some quiet place when they feel sick.”

Representatives of the two groups settled on an old-time compound, denatonium benzoate, as the best way to make antifreeze taste terrible. The compound, discovered in the late 1950s, is not considered especially toxic, is obnoxiously bitter, and has been shown not to damage engines. Even at 10 parts per million, studies have found, children in laboratory settings promptly spat out orange juice tainted with denatonium benzoate.
But not everyone is deterred. A 2008 study looking at states where bittering agents are required found that the taste appeared to make no difference to those determined to commit suicide by drinking antifreeze.

Nonetheless, researchers tracking both human and animal health are hoping that the new formulation reduces the number of inadvertent poisonings. “We’re watching it,” said Dr. Ford, who is also director of the poison control center network, which has begun analyzing its 2013 numbers. The Animal Poison Control Center, operated by the A.S.P.C.A., so far reports no change: The number of alarmed calls about antifreeze poisoning remained above 300 a year from 2011 to 2013.

Of course, no one is sure how much sweet antifreeze is still out there. For one thing, the voluntary agreement doesn’t cover professional grades of antifreeze and engine coolant, such as those used in car repair shops. And people hang onto their home supplies for years.

“I’ve got a container of antifreeze in my garage that’s probably more than a year old,” said Dr. Clark Fobian, a Missouri veterinarian and president of the American Veterinary Medical Association.

Last edited:
"Police say a 45-year-old South Fulton man is now a resident of the Fulton County Jail after being arrested in connection to an infant being critically injured.

On October 12 officers were notified of an 18-day-old infant who tested positive for ethylene glycol, an automotive antifreeze chemical, at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta-Scotish Rite.

An investigation uncovered the father, Curtis Jackson, as a suspect. Police immediately obtained warrants for his arrest on criminal attempt to commit murder and cruelty to children in the first degree."

L I N K !!

On Oct. 1, 2020, police said Jack picked up bottles of breastmilk from the mother of his child, who was hospitalized after giving birth to their daughter on Sept. 24, 2020.

After he delivered the breastmilk to the child’s grandmother, who was also caring for the woman’s other daughter, the child became critically ill within 24 hours, suspected of being poisoned.

Jack admitted to adding antifreeze to the breastmilk, according to South Fulton Police Department detectives.
During the trial, the State presented testimonies from the child’s mother, grandmother, law enforcement officers and medical experts, including a demonstration of how easy it was to poison the breastmilk.

The mother and Jack had been together since Jan. 2020. Police said Jack had previously insisted that the woman terminate her pregnancy.

The jury found Jack guilty on all counts, and he was sentenced to 50 years, with 40 years to serve in custody.

A South Fulton father told police he put antifreeze in his newborn daughter’s milk because he didn’t want to pay child support.

Channel 2′s Tyisha Fernandes spoke exclusively with the lead detective on the case, “It hit home because it was an 18-day-old baby,” said South Fulton Police Sergeant Pserda Dickerson.

This all started when Curtis Jack got his coworker pregnant back in 2020.
The mother of the newborn told police, Curtis tried to get her to terminate the pregnancy for the entire nine months. Once she had the baby, she had to stay in the hospital. She asked Curtis to pick up breast milk from her and take it to the baby at the grandmother’s house.

Curtis told police he put antifreeze in the milk because he didn’t want to pay child support.

Detectives told Channel 2 Action News they were so confused by the father’s motive because he had a nice paying job.

Once Curtis was indicted and faced several charges including attempted murder, he took back his confession.

Which made detectives and the District Attorney’s office work even harder to make sure the case was solid.

Last edited:
Back