• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The parents of a 2-year old girl who died after suffocating between the drawers of a toppled dresser have filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against Walmart.

Destiny Russell says she found daughter Lorelei Lyons “pinned between the drawers of the subject dresser” when she went to check on her sleeping child in August 15, 2017, according to the new suit filed in Manhattan Supreme Court.

Russel and her husband, Albert Lyons, were gifted the South Shore brand Libra 3-drawer dresser two years prior, which was bought at Walmart.com, the court papers say.

The family claims Walmart knew that the piece of furniture was top-heavy and had a tendency to topple over.

Full Story:
https://nypost.com/2019/08/14/family-sues-walmart-after-dresser-falls-and-suffocates-toddler/

All dressers are top heavy,they all will fall over under the right circumstances, like a child climbing on it. I believe most all instructions will tell you that you need to anchor it to the wall especially if it will be going into a child's room. Also why did it take someone so long to check on a 2 year after the loud noise that had to have occurred when the dresser fell?

Wal-Mart didn't make it, Wal-Mart didn't put it together, and Wal-Mart didn't install it. These folks are reaching on this law suit.

I'll be surprised if the case isn't thrown out. Anything can topple over and, if you don't want that to happen due to your kids or whatever, then anchor it! It's not like Walmart is going to come over and do that for you.

Nonetheless, these were recalled after this child's death.

As a technical writer who's entire career is built upon writing instructions on how to build and SAFELY INSTALL products, in particular heavy furniture, NOTHING frosts my cookies more than people who can't be bothered to actually read them. This is not the fault of Walmart or the furniture maker. This is lazy parenting. And again, why did it take so long to check on the little? And why was she left on her own for so long before the accident?

As a technical writer who's entire career is built upon writing instructions on how to build and SAFELY INSTALL products, in particular heavy furniture, NOTHING frosts my cookies more than people who can't be bothered to actually read them. This is not the fault of Walmart or the furniture maker. This is lazy parenting. And again, why did it take so long to check on the little? And why was she left on her own for so long before the accident?
Not frosts your cookies, imma have to use tht

I confess. I avoid reading instructions.

:bookworm:

Some people don't like to read them and I understand that. Some would rather refer to pictures and graphics per se. I understand that too. And most of the time products can be safely put together using common sense and occasionally referring to instructions. I confess that I used the picture on the box when I put my daughter's baby swing together 18 years ago. But to blame the purchase point for a known problem with a product is ridiculous. Parents have been reminded for years to bolt top heavy equipment to walls to avoid this exact situation. They were negligent not Walmart.

Some people don't like to read them and I understand that. Some would rather refer to pictures and graphics per se. I understand that too. And most of the time products can be safely put together using common sense and occasionally referring to instructions. I confess that I used the picture on the box when I put my daughter's baby swing together 18 years ago. But to blame the purchase point for a known problem with a product is ridiculous. Parents have been reminded for years to bolt top heavy equipment to walls to avoid this exact situation. They were negligent not Walmart.
I always read furniture and appliance instructions and follow them. I think the reason I do that is because most of my life I've had very dangerous jobs that were deadly on there own and was trained not to make them more dangerous by ignoring proper instructions.

America the land of lawsuits, people and courts here are insane when it comes to lawsuits
It’s the courts that allow the BS suits to go through
Thieves fall through skylight robbing you and they win a lawsuit because your skylight wasn’t safe
Idiots spill coffee on themselves and win a lawsuit against you, because coffee is hot
WTF, no one is ever held responsible for themselves and the stupid judges own that one

Last edited:
Sometimes I think parents want to sue everyone when their kid dies because it's something to distract. As soon as they stop being mad the only thing left is being sad. Not saying it's right, it's still dumb.

Latest posts

Back