• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Do you think the child being taken for BC was a crime

• yes

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • no

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Police are investigating a complaint from a Beaver County mother that a family friend, without the mother's permission or knowledge, took the mother's 12-year-old daughter to a clinic in Allegheny County where the child was injected with an implantable birth control device.

"My daughter broke down, started crying and said she was sorry. I said, 'What are you sorry for?' She said, 'I'm not allowed to tell you," Misty Evans, of Beaver Falls, told Pittsburgh's Action News 4.

Then it came out. Evans says a family friend for whom Evans' daughter babysat -- a woman at whose home the daughter had slept over -- allegedly took the girl for the medical procedure instead of taking her to school on April 8.

"The family friend forced her. Forced her and told her she had to have it because she was 12 years old," Evans said.

A friend of Evans notified her that she had heard about what happened on May 2 and that's when Evans spoke with her daughter about it. Evans says her daughter felt threatened and didn't admit what happened until last week -- a month after the fact.

In an email, Pennsylvania's Department of Health spokesman Nate Wardle told Pittsburgh's Action News 4, "Clinicians may provide birth control/contraception to minors without informing or obtaining consent of a parent or guardian. Additionally, a clinician working in a facility that receives Title X funding is prohibited by federal law from requiring a minor to get parental consent before providing the minor with contraception."

Evans said she saw paperwork at Adagio Health in Turtle Creek in which the family friend claimed she was the girl's aunt. Evans said her 12-year-old daughter had to sign a privacy release form before she could see her daughter's record at the clinic.

"I just hope the police, they press the charges, and they give justice for my daughter. Let my daughter go in and explain how she felt.that day -- that it was a nightmare to her," Evans said.

Turtle Creek Police Chief Dale Kraeer confirms his department is investigating but hasn't determined yet what the potential charge could be. Pittsburgh's Action News 4 later confirmed that Turtle Creek police had obtained and carried out a warrant to obtain records documenting the 12-year-old's visit to the clinic.

Adagio Health's Statement at link

What do you guys think.

Def disagree with a doc doing any medical procedure in such a scenario without the parent being involved. Fucking crazy that is permitted.

Def disagree with a parent who has no legal rights over a child to be forcing it to undergo any unnecessary medical procedures.

Sounds like kidnapping to me.

I instill it my children's brain that when they are even thinking that they may be at the point of losing virginity to not be embarrassed to tell me. That way I can I can make sure that they get birth control. Yes, another lecture about how to respect themselves and how to treat girls/women is coming, but I'LL handle the birth control thing. My 3 grown kids went ahead and bit the bullet and by 16 they were either on birth control or had access to condoms. Hence, no grandchildren yet. That woman wouldn't be a "family friend" after something like that. She was 12 and I agree with @JackBurton. That shit was kidnapping AND child abuse.

@Kiowaprincess

Remember the story of the woman who brought the young teen to a motel to have sex with her boyfriend.

I question what the motives of that "friend" were.

If any of my friends under age children came to me about getting on BC I would encourage them to talk to their parents.
Like ANY sane person. The fact that the woman said that the girl "needed" it because she was 12 definitely makes me questions her motives.

She could sue her so called friend (now ex-friend) who took her daughter to have this done. It was child abuse. Who the fuck did she think she was to even consider doing this without prior discussion with the mother? Some-thin' aint right here. :(

Anyone else bothered that the mother is named in the article? She has put her family troubles upfront.
It's an important topic worthy of discussion. But I'm cringeing for that young used adolescent girl.
Now we can figure out who her daughter is. Mother's name should be private to protect the child. The "friend" who took the girl for BC is not named - yet. Even that woman/ex friend should not be named to protect the young victim. Even though she is a creepy interfering bitch.

I think we need more info. The girl going along with getting an invasive medical procedure she did not want or need against her wishes and then saying "sorry Mom" first thing when she was discovered seems very odd. A family friend insisting a 12 year old get birth control she does not want or need is also very odd. I think it is also possible the girl was sexually active, told the family friend who agreed to help her, then put all the blame on the friend when she was caught so she wouldn't be in trouble.

In an email, Pennsylvania's Department of Health spokesman Nate Wardle told Pittsburgh's Action News 4, "Clinicians may provide birth control/contraception to minors without informing or obtaining consent of a parent or guardian. Additionally, a clinician working in a facility that receives Title X funding is prohibited by federal law from requiring a minor to get parental consent before providing the minor with contraception."

That is completely fucked. Especially the second sentence. Not surprising, but completely fucked.

It's been a hell of a long time, but typically, before prescribing any birth control, they do a gyno exam. There had to be an intake/interview, similar to what they do at Planned Parenthood, for this kid to get the Title X funding services --- because no way was a 'friend' shelling out of pocket for the B.C. inplant, which runs upward of $1k without insurance. I had to edit because I was just sure this was Planned Parenthood until I re-read the story...

Last edited:
It just baffles me how a 12 year old was given an option for birth control of that magnitude without parental/guardian consent. Im all for kids having access to birth control. Not having it doesn't mean they won't do the deed. But I dont understand how she was given implants vs condoms or even the pill.

I wasn't even allowed to have depovera(the shot) until I was almost 17 because they needed to make sure I'd finished puberty so the hormones didn't mess with my system. I went through a pile of check boxes and exams to get it. And that only lasts 3 months. My daughter needed to be put on the pill at 13 for medical reasons and they couldn't even give her the lightest version without both me and her dad giving consent. It took over a month of me, her stepmom, her paternal grandma and the doctor badgering her dad to finally get her on it..even though it was a necessary treatment for a health problem she was suffering from and had nothing to do with sex.

How on earth does a 12 year old who hasn't finished puberty, walk in and get an implant that fucks with your hormones for 5 years..all without a responsible adult verifying consent? I phrase it that way for a reason. I dont think a parent should necessarily be the consent giver. Sometimes kids cant talk to their parents about that stuff for various reasons but there should be systems in place to over ride that. Like here in the netherlands. A parent must sign off or in the case that the kid cant have the parent do it, they apply through their doctor to have it signed off by whats essentially a legal medical guardian approved by the courts.

I think we need more info. The girl going along with getting an invasive medical procedure she did not want or need against her wishes and then saying "sorry Mom" first thing when she was discovered seems very odd. A family friend insisting a 12 year old get birth control she does not want or need is also very odd. I think it is also possible the girl was sexually active, told the family friend who agreed to help her, then put all the blame on the friend when she was caught so she wouldn't be in trouble.
I thought this too. There is something else in the background.. Mom should pursue the course because it was all wrong for another person, and clinicians, to take control of something so important.
But making it so public is also a problem. The subject is so young. I believe the young girl's identity and privacy is too important. Mom has advertised a family crisis. Mom offered up the family problems for public consumption. The girl said she was sorry to break a secret and appears she realizes it all went to far - for whatever private things are happening.
Jeez, I'm cringeing so much for that young girl.

@Muriel Schwenck

Do you think it is the goal of the mom to shame the daughter?

I do not think the woman forced the girl but acting inappropriately by taking the child for BC.

The motive of the friend to undermine the mother's parental role is very troubling.

Is it possible the girl did not feel that she could go to her mother and the friendship between the mother and the woman make the child feel she could confide in this woman.

May 16, 2019
Police have charged a Pennsylvania woman accused of forcing her friend's 12-year-old daughter to get a birth control implant without the mother's permission.

Court documents show Valerie Marie Fullum is charged with two felony counts of endangering the welfare of children and a misdemeanor charge of recklessly endangering another person.

The girl's mother tells WTAE her daughter didn't tell her about the device for a month. She says her daughter felt forced and threatened by the 29-year-old Fullum, of New Brighton.

The device was implanted in the girl's arm in April, and the mother alleges it has harmed her health. It was recently removed.

The mother says Fullum told the clinic she was the girl's aunt.

July 19, 2019
Charges against a woman accused of taking a 12-year-old girl to get a birth control implant have been dropped.

Valerie Fullum, 29, is accused of taking the girl against her will to get the device inserted into her arm.

According to court documents, the charges against Fullum have now been withdraw.

She was facing two felony counts of endangering the welfare of children and a misdemeanor of reckless endangerment.

Fullum spoke to KDKA News on Friday and said she never forced the young girl to get birth control.

“I’ve known her for a very long time and she confided in me,” Fullum told KDKA.

In May, Misty Evans accused Fullum of taking her daughter to Adagio Health in Turtle Creek to get birth control, a plastic rod called Nexplanon, implanted in her arm.

Fullum, a mother of six, said after a confidential conversation with the preteen, she was very concerned for the preteen’s well-being. However, taking her for contraceptives was never mentioned.

“It wasn’t us going there to get birth control, there were other things she was worried about.” Fullum said. “I never once did something without her asking me for something.”

“There are kids out here who are sexually active, and they don’t know what they are getting themselves into at all,” Fullum said. “I was a teenage mom myself and it’s hard.”

Fullum’s attorney, Steve Townsend, said that the district attorney realized that the stories weren’t adding up and asked for Allegheny County Police to investigate.

County police determined based upon multiple interviews that the charges never should have been filed.

Townsend spoke to KDKA on Friday by phone and said nothing his client did was illegal.

Townsend said Fullum was trying to counsel the preteen on abstinence and good life choices, and that the girl asked Fullum to take her to the clinic for medical care when she didn’t know who else to turn to.

“She felt more confident to talk to me and tell me what was going on,” Fullum said.

Fullum lost her job as a LifeTouch photographer and personal care assistant because of these charges.

Fullum said she told the girl’s mom what happened several weeks later and hopes the two parties come together despite not speaking in months.

1588896676524.png

Last edited:

I called it.

Mom needs to figure out why her daughter did not come to her with what ever the initial problem was.

The friend needs to ask herself would she appreciate if someone took one of her children for any medical procedure and did not tell her.

The mother and child could benefit from therapy to address their communication.

Do not rekindle the friendship.

I'm thinking the surge of unfamiliar hormones put her on an emotional roller coaster, leading to the confession to her mother.

ETA: An implant leaves no physical evidence for mom to bust her with.
In the article it says the aunt told the mother several weeks later, hoping it would lead to open communication with her daughter.
So it wasn't the daughter tearfully confessing

Back