• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
The man accused in the rape and murder of a three-year-old Exeter girl was involved in a fight before his court date.
20-year-old Chris Cheary is facing charges of murder, sexual assault, and torture for the death of his girlfriend's daughter, Sophia Acosta, last month.

The Tulare County Sheriff's office says Cheary and three other inmates got into some sort of physical altercation Thursday morning.

They were being transported from the Visalia main jail to the courthouse at the time. Two deputies were injured in the scuffle, but not seriously. The inmates declined medical attention.

Thursday's court date was postponed after the disturbance. Cheary faces a possible death sentence if convicted. He's pleaded "not guilty".

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=8195904&hpt=ju_bn6

What a beautiful little girl! My heart aches when I think about the viciousness with which she was treated and the terror she must have lived in. Damn her mother for not loving her enough to make her and her little sister safe.

Good glad he got jumped by the other inmates hope he is terrified and is someone's bitch in jail. In America are inmates put in general population until sentenced? This guy will prob be protected no doubt I hope his ass gets raped everyday for the rest of his sad life. Same for the bitch mother, why has she not been arrested? These two are animals.

Just heard that his case has been rescheduled again to the 14th of july at 8.30 as he has no defense! People are saying that no wants to represent him!!! You know your f*%$d when a lawyer wont represent you!

I'm actually surprised that doesn't happen more often. Then again, maybe it does and the court has to mandate someone to defend these pubic-crawling insects.

I'm actually surprised that doesn't happen more often. Then again, maybe it does and the court has to mandate someone to defend these pubic-crawling insects.

Yeah thats what they are saying, they are going to have to make someone defend him! The poor person who gets made to defend him will be living a nightmare!

http://www.kmph-kfre.com/story/14850937/sophia-acostas-former-babysitter-explains-what-she-saw

Sophia Acosta's Former Babysitter Explains What She Saw
Posted: Jun 07, 2011 3:01 AM EDT

By Monty Torres

Carly Vega is carrying a heavy burden.

"I should have done something," she sobbed. "I should have told Nana more. I should have."

The former babysitter for Sophia Acosta is wracked with remorse over what happened to Sophia and what she says she did not say soon enough. She's also tormented by what she says she saw happen to Sophia's baby sister Alexis as well.

"She (Sophia's mother, Erika Smith), says there's blood in the baby's diaper and I said that's not right they don't bleed on their own."

It's a terrible description of unusual injuries to a one year-old girl.

"Erika was checking her out and, [asked], is this supposed to look like this?"

Blood, and bruising in private areas, and broken bones, injuries Carly Vega attributes to Chris Cheary.

"I told her he's spanking her way too hard," Vega remembered.

For five months Vega was babysitter to both Sophia and Alexis. Several times a week, week after week she spent with the two little girls, even staying over night at the family's house.

She was also in a position to see what few others could, even becoming at one point, she says, the target of Cheary's angry, violent outbursts, herself.

"He put his hands on me. He started pushing on me. I started trying to run out the door and he tried to kick my legs out from under me and then he blocked the door and wouldn't let me out."

She also remembers Sophia's pleas.

"She's all, please don't tell my daddy she's always please don't tell my daddy. Erika had her call him [Chris Cheary], daddy."

On the day of Cheary's arraignment for sexual abuse, torture and murder in Sophia's death, those pleas haunt her still.

"I was crying and Sophia's, all don't cry Carly. I love you."

She's told her story before, Vega says, but not powerfully enough, not detailed enough, not clearly enough and not in time to save Sophia. Now, for Sophia, and Alexis, Vega says she won't make that mistake again.

Carly Vega says she plans to share more details about what she saw and heard with Exeter police Tuesday.

Last edited:
I have very little pity for you, dear. You're right. You should have done something much sooner. Ignoring that child's pleas, the babies injuries, your own abuse at Cheary's hands -- there's really no good excuse. Make this work at court. Redeem yourself.

[MENTION=3446]Tundratot[/MENTION], I agree with you too. What she witnessed was not a spanking, it was not discipline, it was torture. hope it does haunt her, it should. So why now after Sofia's death, after she was raped & beaten to death, is she coming out now and telling? So we will feel sympathy for her? I have compassion for the children, not stupid adults that sit and wait until a wee one has lost their fight, and died.

I think I found Carly's FB. If so, it says she just graduated. It also says that she did say something, but didn't push the issue. Maybe she figured that if no one was listening, it was pointless.

Yep, it's her. She is sporting a PicBadge of Sophia.

Last edited:
Only one witness was called to the stand during the April 5 preliminary hearing of Christopher Rey Cheary, the man accused of raping and killing his live-in girlfriend’s 3-year-old daughter. The witness, Dr. Phillip Hyden of Children’s Hospital Central California, shared the police department’s sentiment during redirect with Deputy District Attorney David Alavezos.

. . .

Hyden said he spoke to Sophia’s mother, Erica Smith, who told him that Sophia had fallen down a stairway “two days agoâ€￾ and fell onto a plastic toy shopping cart “today,â€￾ referring to the day she was taken to the hospital. Hyden said Sophia was supposedly injured around 4 p.m. on May 7 and he examined her between midnight and 2 a.m. on May 8.

Hyden said after her arrival at Children’s Hospital, Sophia was completely unresponsive and “being kept alive by the ventilatorâ€￾ when he examined her. She was bleeding from her mouth and private regions from “not an accidental trauma.â€￾

“That means that these injuries weren’t self-inflicted by the child or caused by any type of normal childhood accident,â€￾ Hyden explained.

In addition to the bleeding, Hyden said Sophia’s brain showed a lack of oxygen and blood flow consistent with “shaking plus impactâ€￾ and had bruises on her scalp and underneath her scalp and abdomen. Hyden said a urine test showed signs of marijuana in her system.

Hyden said, “I believe this child was sexually assaulted. I believe this child was struck in the abdomen. I can’t tell you if it was one or two times because the injuries are in different places but it probably was two times. And also was subjected to severe accelerated forces and an impact and maybe multiple impacts because of the different planes of injury on the head from someone exerted a tremendous violent force on this child and in a repetitive manner ultimately causing her death.â€￾

During cross examination, Deputy Public Defender Bill Meuting pointed out there were no signs of DNA enzymes found during the rape kit conducted by Dr. Hyden. However, Hyden said that would not rule out sexual abuse for various reasons. Meuting also asked Hyden if the bruising on her abdomen could have been caused by an untrained person attempting CPR.

“This is a blunt impact,â€￾ Hyden said. “It’s not due to compression.â€￾

During Alavezos’ recross examination, he asked Hyden if there was anything to indicate a history of violence. Hyden said during his conversation with Sophia’s mother at Children’s Hospital, Smith admitted there was a history of domestic violence but said Cheary had never harmed Sophia. However, we asked about their sexual relationship, Hyden said Smith revealed that she thought Cheary “could have done this to the child.â€￾

“She also said that if he did do this, she never wanted him to be around the kid again and never wanted to see him again,â€￾ Hyden continued.

. . .
http://www.thesungazette.com/articles/2012/04/18/news/news01.txt

As of last night.

Jurors in the South Valley are now deliberating the fate of a man they already convicted of murdering and raping a toddler five years ago.

Defense attorney Tim Rote told jurors on Tuesday that the only real question they now face is if it's necessary to kill his client, Christopher Cheary. He said death is never a mandatory punishment. He also told jurors they must make an independent and moral decision about how Cheary will eventually die.

"He's a lost and flawed person but he's not beyond redemption and I think that's the message that we're trying to portray," Rote said.

It's been two weeks since the same jurors found Cheary guilty of murdering, raping, and torturing three-year-old Sophia Acosta, his girlfriend's daughter. Since then, both sides have laid out their arguments as part of the penalty phase of the trial.

Cheary, 25, faces life in prison without the possibility of parole, or the death penalty. Rote said deciding on a death sentence should be hard, and encouraged jurors to choose life instead.

He said life in prison will be a severe punishment for Cheary, who will have to think about what he did for the rest of his life.

"He won't walk on the beach again, he won't order from a restaurant, he won't get to choose what meal he gets," Rote said.

Rote reviewed the harsher circumstances of Cheary's life, including his parent's divorce, an unstable upbringing, and eventually, his drug use, including heroin-which he said changed the trajectory of Cheary's life.

"And that's not an excuse, it's not a justification for what happened," Rote said. "But you wanted to know about his life to make the right choice because you're punishing the person and it's not necessary to kill him."

http://abc30.com/news/jurors-now-deliberating-penalty-in-christopher-cheary-murder-trial-/1631336/

Yippee ... that's what he gets for going to trial ... making all of those jurors here the details

of a sweet little girl trapped with them, and all of the vile things he did to her.

Peanut butter ... fuck this guy.

And fuck her MOM too ... Heroin. I bet she hooked for it.

ATTENTION SINGLE MOMS ... tell your loser boyfriends to get out there and sell their own

asses if they want drugs ... seriously ... being bi -sexual is okay forever ... or sometimes

for rent or drugs. Just stay home with your kids or this shit right here.

From thatsmallgirl link.

Cheary, 25, faces life in prison without the possibility of parole, or the death penalty. Rote said deciding on a death sentence should be hard, and encouraged jurors to choose life instead.

He said life in prison will be a severe punishment for Cheary, who will have to think about what he did for the rest of his life.

"He won't walk on the beach again, he won't order from a restaurant, he won't get to choose what meal he gets," Rote said.

Rote, pffft really?

200.gif

"He's a lost and flawed person but he's not beyond redemption and I think that's the message that we're trying to portray," Rote said.

He raped, tortured and murdered a 3 year old. If that isn't beyond redemption, then what is? And you know what?

If I were on the jury, this shit right here would just make me want to sentence him to death more:

Seriously? Do you know all the things his victim won't get? She won't get to go to kindergarten, have a first kiss, a first damned near anything. He won't get walks on the beach? Are you fucking shitting me?

Last edited:
How does a 16 month old fall hard enough to break a leg? Sophia will be helping her sister get away from these abusing POS. I wish they both could have gotten away.
My 20 month baby constantly falling and bumping into things.. She has yet to break a bone.

Let's hope the botch this dude's execution drugs like they did with that one guy & that this mofo writhers in pain for 30-40minutes. Or more. Preferably more

Emotions are overwhelming on Wednesday for a Valley woman whose 3-year-old great-granddaughter was murdered.

Ruth Williams says Governor Gavin Newsom's executive order to stop death row executions is adding insult to injury to her family - in the worst way.

Governor Newsom cannot repeal the law but said on Wednesday he will grant reprieves to anyone who is sentenced to death while he's in office.

The executive order only suspends executions in the state while he's in office.

Newsom argues capital punishment costs too much and is unequally and unfairly used on the mentally disabled and people of color.

In January 2017, Exeter resident Christopher Cheary was sentenced to death for the murder of 3-year-old Sophia Acosta.

Her great-grandmother Ruth Williams is now speaking out about the governor's decision.

"I remember her sleeping in my bed and holding my hand. She would say, 'Nana, I love you.' Nobody can bring that back but she has the right to have justice."

Williams believes Christopher Cheary does not have the right to live after a jury convicted him of murdering, raping and torturing little Sophia in May of 2011.

"That was the closure we had. To see him die was my closure and I would've walked to San Quentin... I don't care - I would've walked there to watch it," she says.

Upon hearing Wednesday's news, Tulare County's District Attorney Tim Ward released a statement that read in part: "It is abundantly clear that victims and the will of California voters are not a priority for Governor Newsom."

Back