• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Exchange student starved on Egypt trip
By JERRY HARKAVY, Associated Press Writer
Wed Feb 27, 5:15 PM ET

HALLOWELL, Maine - Jonathan McCullum was in perfect health at 155 pounds when he left last summer to spend the school year as an exchange student in Egypt.

But when he returned home to Maine just four months later, the 5-foot-9 teenager weighed a mere 97 pounds and was so weak that he struggled to carry his baggage or climb a flight of stairs. Doctors said he was at risk for a heart attack.

McCullum says he was denied sufficient food while staying with a family of Coptic Christians, who fast for more than 200 days a year, a regimen unmatched by other Christians.

To read more... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20080227/ap_tr_ge/travel_brief_starving_student

Well he wanted a dose of another country's culture.........

Then again I thought Egypt was fairly modernized. My dad ate at Pizza Hut when he was there.

You've got to love how Egypt's most abused minority creates good will by mistreating a visiting student who would probably otherwise end up sympathetic to them.

Back