• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Morbid

Rooster Illusion
Staff member
[GALLERY=media, 322][/GALLERY]

Some of you may be aware of the confusing mess going on with the Child's Play\Chucky series, so this is for those of you who may be a bit confused as to what this new movie by MGM is all about, and how it ties into the current series -- as well as the new television show coming out.

To start, Child's Play was released in 1988 and distributed by MGM. The movie detailed a red-headed doll possessed by the spirit of a serial killer who continues his killing spree in his new form. The story and characters were conceived by Don Mancini (with some script changes made for the movie) and was a hit with audiences -- turning Chucky into a cultural icon. The movie made $44 million (and only cost $9 million to make) so sequels were inevitable.

So along came Child’s Play 2 (1990), Child’s Play 3 (1991), Bride of Chucky (1998), Seed of Chucky (2004), Curse of Chucky (2013) and Cult of Chucky (2017) - the latter two not getting a theatrical release but certified fresh on Rottentomatoes if you can believe it.

All of these films were written by Mancini who never stopped continuing the Chucky saga, even directing the last three himself. It was then recently announced that Chucky was getting his own television show on Syfy called Child's Play: The TV Series. Aside from a raised eyebrow at reading the news, I wasn't even slightly interested... until I learned one of the executive producers of this new show is the creator of the recently canceled series, Channel Zero. A series I liked. A lot.

So that leads us to the recent trailer for the Child's Play reboot and how it ties into everything. Turns out MGM holds the rights to the first movie's story, and only the first movie. This means they are free to reboot it in the re-imagined fashion they seem to be going, with Chucky (or Buddi) not being possessed by a serial killer, but rather being the victim of some kind of rogue A.I. - some kind of red-headed, mini-Terminator or something.

If the movie is a hit, then MGM will likely make their own sequels off their reboot and we will have two alternative storyline involving the same doll - MGM's and Mancini's. So there ya' go. All the info about this crap you never wanted to know.

If you are wondering what Mancini thinks about all this, well he isn't too happy.

MGM retained the rights to the first movie, so they’re rebooting that. They asked producer David Kirschner and I if we wanted to be executive producers. We said no thank you, because we have our ongoing thriving business with Chucky. Obviously my feelings were hurt. Ya know, I had just done two movies… forgive me if I sound defensive, they were both at 83 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Even though they didn’t get theatrical releases, they were well regarded. And I did create the character and nurture the franchise for three fucking decades.”

He's not the only one voicing their displeasure with the reboot. Jennifer Tilly, who played Tiffany Valentine in four of the films, tweeted: “New “Chucky” movie? Ummm…no. Tiffany and I are gonna sit this one out. #NotmyChucky

Personally, I have no dog in this fight, although I can understand Mancini's frustration with MGM rebooting a series he's still actively working on. If the reboot is a hit, it could cause some confusion with your average movie-goer, which is obvious by some of the comments on the trailer by people who didn't even realize there have been two new Chucky movies made in recent years.

Any of you watch these movies? While they aren't on my list of favorite horror, Tilly at least makes Bride and Seed entertaining, and the last two were just overall good horror movies. Oh yeah, here's the new trailer:

Attachments

• Chucki.jpg
    Chucki.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
With as much stuff being made already that is barely original and sometimes blatantly ripped off, couldn't they have just created a totally new character to apply this concept to?

I like the idea of a rogue/malfunctioning AI that creates a homicidal doll... but it really didn't have to be Chucky.

Movies gotta be pitched to some corporate drones to get made. Drones will tell you that "reboots" are the "in thing" that "everybody wants". Then they'll see dollar signs and go "play with their spreadsheet" for a couple of minutes
So let's say you want to make a movie about a killer AI. What's more likely to be approved:
Creating an original film about a murderous AI
-or-
Rebooting an extremely famous horror film and making the villain an AI

I think this is kinda beyond the usual Hollyweird bullshit. It was sleazy on their part to over ride the guy that actually created Chucky in the first place and at best will immediately flop. I wondered why that one woman was saying that with a pic of her and Bride doll. I never watched these, didn't want to, not my type of horror but the people I know that like the slash and hack flicks are up in arms. It will be interesting to see if this reaches the point of actually even making it out as already Chunky has created chaos beyond imagination and once again a vein of HW individuals have proven they have no souls and don't deserve your money
Post automatically merged:

Love Child’s Play. This new reboot looks... weird. And if I was Mancini I’d be pissed, but not surprised.
he has a right to be beyond pissed that is his stolen and bastardized baby, other people are pissed for him, hell, hate those kind flicks but I am pissed for him

Last edited:
Childs Play has always been tedious, dull trash. Perhaps the worst "popular" horror franchise in existence. So fucking dumb.

Only fucking idiots like it or would be interested in this remake.

erhaps the worst "popular" horror franchise in existence.

Not sure if you have seen the last two, but they are good and I would take them over any of the Halloween sequels past the third one. For me, the Halloween and Hellraiser franchises are the worst of the bunch. I'd sit through the Critters or Puppetmaster sequels before I'd watch any of them again. At least with those you can at least enjoy them on a "bad movie" level.

Not sure if you have seen the last two

Couldnt suffer through them in their entirety. THeyre trash.

but they are good and I would take them over any of the Halloween sequels past the third one.

That's like saying you would take herpes over genital warts. It all sucks, and sucks BAD.

And at least Halloween gave us one classic work of greatness. Chucky has NEVER been the least bit good or interesting.

For me, the Halloween and Hellraiser franchises are the worst of the bunch.

I think nowadays they are. I find nothing more tedious than anything Halloween. And Hellraiser not only has been trash since the 3rd, but it continuously spit upon the entire premise of its movies and characters. That said, these franchises, again, did give us some classic brilliance. The first Halloween and 1st 2 Hellraisers are incredible. Childs Play has NEVER given us anything but pure SHIT. As a franchise, it's the bigger loser.

Childs Play has NEVER given us anything but pure SHIT. As a franchise, it's the bigger loser.

Halloween had three good movies (1, 3 and this latest sequel). Friday the 13th fairs a little better, with two legitimately good movies (1 and 4) and two I enjoy just because (3 and X). Texas Chainsaw Massacre (one of my favorite movies of all time) has one, the original, with two scenes from the second that I like -- other than that, pure shit. Nightmare on Elm Street? Two (1 and 3). With Chucky, they have two good movies (the last two), and two I enjoy the same way I enjoy Maximum Overdrive and the aforementioned F13 X (Bride and Seed).

The Hellraiser franchise has none as far as I am concerned, including the first that introduced us to the awesome looking, yet unbelievably feeble Cenobites. The sequels may have had a scene, a line, or creature design that stood out, but otherwise the movies were a boring chore to sit through. I may have included the second one as an ok movie, just for the gore alone. But the Cenobites were even bigger, ineffective pussies in that one than they were in the first.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (one of my favorite movies of all time) has one, the original, with two scenes from the second that I like -- other than that, pure shit.

I have a great deal of respect for TCM 2 for what Tobe Hooper dared to do with it. He knew he couldnt replicate the originals low down dirty, gritty brilliant charm, or perhaps he simply didnt care to. Either way, instead he decided to take his own creation in a completely different direction, into the darkly comedic absurd. It's heavily flawed and of course no where near the classic league of the original, but it's still fun in its own way and no matter how much you hate it, i think you gotta respect what Hooper had the balls to do with his own series.

Nightmare on Elm Street? Two (1 and 3).

I think it has more to offer than just that. And there's certainly some stinkers and mediocre entries, but unlike so many other popular horror franchise sequels, i think character of Freddy and the whole dream-killing schtick make for some fun and entertaining enough sequences for even the duds to have something of value to offer. I dont watch even a lousier Nightmare sequel and struggle to stay awake, which is the biggest sin the likes of Halloween and Friday the 13th and Childs Play commit.

With Chucky, they have two good movies (the last two), and two I enjoy the same way I enjoy Maximum Overdrive and the aforementioned F13 X (Bride and Seed).

All Childs Play movies are boring garbage. Maximum Overdrive IS a fun movie, even if it is dumb as hell. Childs Play movies are just irritatingly bad. Theyre not fun, they just grate on my nerves and patience.

The Hellraiser franchise has none as far as I am concerned, including the first that introduced us to the awesome looking, yet unbelievably feeble Cenobites. The sequels may have had a scene, a line, or creature design that stood out, but otherwise the movies were a boring chore to sit through. I may have included the second one as an ok movie, just for the gore alone. But the Cenobites were even bigger, ineffective pussies in that one than they were in the first.

phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh bullshit.

The first is one of the creepiest, most unique, darkest horror movies in existence. That entire mythos they create is tremendous. And both movies, certainly the first, have some of the coolest gore/effects in movie history.

If anything, the fact that the cenobites end up not being the actual villains is a strongpoint. These are about as far from your generic horror movie monster/antagonist as you can get. They dont exist to prey upon innocents or manipulate anybody or anything like that. Theyre used merely as a tool to explore just how fucked scumbags can be and the depths theyre willing to sink to to satisfy their lust for evil. And there wasnt anything particulaly "feeble" about em in the first. It's the 2nd that they get whooped on, and in glorious fashion. This element adds to the movies, rather than detract.

What about Phantasm, the most underrated horror franchise?

Last edited:
It's heavily flawed and of course no where near the classic league of the original, but it's still fun in its own way and no matter how much you hate it, i think you gotta respect what Hooper had the balls to do with his own series.

I don't hate the sequel, as I can still watch it for what it is. But aside from the radio station scene, the skinning of L.G., and the acting of the great Jim Siedow, I can skip the rest. I love Denis Hopper, but his scenery chewing (along with Bill Mosley's as Chop-Top) just grate my nerves. They did then, and they do now. I understand what he was doing and why, I just don't think it worked and hated seeing these great, complicated characters turned into cartoon characters. The first being one of my favorite movies may play a big part on why I am so critical of it.

I think the character of Freddy and the whole dream-killing shtick make for some fun and entertaining enough sequences for even the duds to have something of value to offer.

I liked Freddy in the first, the third and even a good chunk of New Nightmare. But his character went from being something to be scared of to a standup comic. Not counting that the sequels were just absolutely forgettable - much like a large chunk of the F13 and Halloween series. Just not enough quality stuff in all those movies. I don't blame the character, just the scripts and directors chosen. I'm all for another attempt at a reboot, however, seeing just how bad that last attempt was.

Childs Play movies are just irritatingly bad. Theyre not fun, they just grate on my nerves and patience.

Fair enough. We totally disagree, though. They are not favorites by any stretch of the imagination and I had largely forgotten about them until the last two films came out and was surprised by how much I enjoyed them.

What about Phantasm, the most underrated horror franchise?

One of my favorite series, despite its flaws. A true labor of love that has a lot of parallels with the Child's Play movies in regards to their creators and their efforts to keep the stories going with no major studio backing or theatrical releases. Just watched a marathon of the movies on Shudder recently, hosted by Joe Bob Briggs. It was a blast. The only one they couldn't show was the sequel, but I've seen it enough times it wasn't that big of a letdown.

on Shudder recently, hosted by Joe Bob Briggs

They essentially are doing a new Monstervision correct? Saw an interview with him recently and that's what it sounded like he was doing with Shudder. Was it comparable?

The first Phantasm is the best. Kinda downhill from there, which is to be expected, although i thought even the sphere effects are lacking as nothing to me is quite as intense or memorable as that lengthy skull blooddraining from the very first film. The spheres themselves get cooler, but the actual death and destruction displayed never again matches that. No clue what the fuck they were thinking with the black karate broad or the wide clashing of style from straight horror to more lightheartedness if not outright cheesy comedic moments, atmosphere is all over the fucking place with many of the sequels. Still, when it shines, it shines bright.

Prob THE best movie series when it comes to recreating/capturing that feeling you get when you wake up from a really fucked up, just bizarre as can be, surreal nightmare.

hey essentially are doing a new Monstervision correct? Saw an interview with him recently and that's what it sounded like he was doing with Shudder. Was it comparable?

It's practically identical. He's just a lot older.

Back