• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I just think it's pretty fucked up when a person gets on here and defends someone they know killed a baby. A grown person can defend them self - could that baby? Hell no or that newborn would have made it out of that plastic bag placed under the sink and beat the shit out of this bitch. Put a live baby in a plastic bag so the baby could not breath and would die. She killed his own flesh and blood but alright Morbid start playing the Titanic song for this loving couple and we will all sing along.... "And I ....... Will Always Love YOU....." blah blah blah.
My daughter was diagnosed with learning disabilities but by God she has it all figured out how to take a fucking birth control pill every night of her life because she is not ready to have a child at this time. That is a stupid excuse. If she had been pregnant before then she sure as fuck knew how it felt and knew the whole story called "LABOR".
Defense attorneys never cease to amaze me at their creativity.

Michigan mom, 30, convicted of murdering newborn
PLYMOUTH TWP. — A jury has convicted a suburban Detroit woman of second-degree murder and child abuse in the October 2008 death of her newborn daughter.
Thirty-year-old Emily Portellos faces up to life in prison at her Oct. 27 sentencing after being found guilty Wednesday in Wayne County Circuit Court. Jury deliberations followed a two-week trial.
Police found the newborn in a trash bag in her Plymouth Township home, about 20 miles west of Detroit.
[...]
Defense attorneys said the child most likely did not survive the unassisted breach birth or the uncontrolled bleeding of a severed umbilical cord. Attorneys declined comment following the verdict.
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20101006/NEWS01/310060055/1252/williamston

She was in high school and already given up 1 baby for adoption. Mom and dad didn't approve of the boyfriend, and the boyfriend didn't want the baby I'm guessing.

This is sick and tragic in that perhaps she has problems, but she knew better with the first one why not with the second.

-dd-1486.jpg
Emily Portellos, 30, received a sentence of 10-20 years in the death of her newborn daughter.

Judge Daniel Ryan pointed out the sentence was half of what the prosecution asked for, noting that the father of the child, Robert Murphy, and his mother Marilyn Murphy, both disagreed with the prosecution’s request for a longer sentence.

The Murphys spoke on Emily’s behalf and sat with members of Emily’s family, and hugged and embraced after the sentencing.

Demetra Christos, one of Portellos' lawyers, and a lifelong family friend, said she was bothered by what she considered the prosecution’s attempt to “hijack” her faith and culture, and portray it as “some freakish cult.”

During the trial, the prosecutor, Lora Weingarden, alleged Portellos killed the child out of fear of her mother’s disapproval and shame in the eyes of a conservative Greek Orthodox community.
[...]

Christos said Portellos is not mentally retarded, but does have a learning disability and testimony showed she had difficulty making decisions under pressure, a point Ryan seconded in his verdict.

Weingarden urged a lengthy sentence, saying the jury had considered manslaughter and rejected it, and said this case, “is all about selfishness,” saying Portellos selfishly killed the child rather than face her mother’s disapproval.

Defense attorney Juan Mateo and Gerald Evelyn had submitted a 1-inch-thick sentencing memorandum Tuesday arguing for a significantly shorter prison term.
[...]

Weingarden said she was speaking on behalf of the dead child. Weingarden had argued for the longer sentence that would keep Portellos behind bars almost through her childbearing years, and would send a strong message not to kill babies.

“Most of all we ask you to do justice for this baby,” Weingarden said.

Outside court, Weingarden said she is disappointed by Ryan’s decision: “The sentence doesn’t reflect the seriousness of the crime.”

“I hope young women don’t take this as a license” to emulate Portellos’ actions, believing they will face a potentially lenient sentence, she said.
[...]
http://www.freep.com/article/20101027/NEWS02/101027018/Woman-gets-10-20-in-baby-s-death
Assistant Prosecutor Lora Weingarden argued for a stronger sentence to "send a message to the community that murder is not an option" for unwanted children, and that the law allows abortion, adoption and even legal abandonment in circumstances where the health of the child can be assured.

Robert Murphy, father of the slain infant, told the judge, "What happened that night claimed the life of my daughter. This is not something that I feel was intentional. If you look at Emily's life, this is not the history of a criminal. She was all about compassion and caring. To claim she is a murderer is absurd."
http://www.detnews.com/article/2010...Plymouth-Twp.-mom-gets-prison-in-infant-death

OMG, the family making excuses for her, do they realize she killed a newborn baby? You have to be a cold heartless bitch to look at a baby that just came out of you and kill her, no fear in the world can make a normal person do that... Our babysitter was obsessed with WWII and how the nazis abused the jewish people, she would tell us stories that terrified us worse than any Michael Myers or Chainsaw Massacre, mothers smothering their babies when they were hiding killing their own kids so the nazis didnt, when I was a kid my scariest monster was a nazi... Im the type that would take my chances and not kill the baby and whatever happens happens...

Robert Murphy, father of the slain infant, told the judge, "What happened that night claimed the life of my daughter. This is not something that I feel was intentional. If you look at Emily's life, this is not the history of a criminal. She was all about compassion and caring. To claim she is a murderer is absurd."
Since this guy obviously can't understand it in English, someone needs to find out what language he does understand - MotherFucker(Robert Murphy) she SMOTHERED THE BABY !!! I might be from the south, and I might be from Alabama, but where I come from that is still MURDER AND THAT MAKES THAT BITCH EMILY A MURDERER.
And when you smother someone to the point of killing them, IT'S INTENTIONAL - ESPECIALLY IF YOU PUT THE BABY IN A PLASTIC GARBAGE BAG !!.

I WISH TO HELL THEY WOULD MAKE IT ILLEGAL TO BE STUPID AND MAKE AN EXAMPLE OUT OF THIS GUY, HIS MOTHER, AND ALL OF HER FAMILY.

Back