• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
@Sugar Cookie

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...abbed-taunted-excited-tourists-Indonesia.html
Animal handlers at a zoo in Indonesia have been caught abusing elephants and stabbing them with sharp objects to get them to perform for tourists, a wildlife charity claims.

Photographs show elephants having their tails pulled, and handlers punching them in the trunk while allegedly concealing sharp tools in their fists, at the Taman Safari zoo in Bogor on West Java, Indonesia.

While the shocking abuse takes place on the ground, an excited crowd of tourists are seen cheering on the elephant show from a balcony above.
5318272-6307009-image-m-36_1540298034664.jpg

5318266-6307009-Punch_According_to_the_photographer_the_handler_is_conceiling_a_-a-37_1540298116324.jpg

The alleged abuse has been documented by wildlife charity Born Free, and photojournalist Aaron Gekoski, who claims the injuries to the elephants' trunks seen in his images were caused by handlers stabbing them to control them.

The alleged abuse appears to be taking place despite the zoo being a member of the World Associations of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA), which requires its members to treat all animals in their captivity with the utmost care.

Mr Gekoski said: 'Every day the elephants perform in shows which involve elaborate reconstructions of human and elephant conflict caused by the palm oil industry.

'After a show when we were there, the elephants became boisterous. A handler was seen to punch one on its trunks and pull its tail in order to control it.

'On closer inspection, it appeared the handler was concealing a sharp object in his hand, which caused multiple puncture wounds on the elephant's trunk.
5318270-6307009-image-a-22_1540297917866.jpg

[....]
'Security saw us documenting what was happening and asked us to put our cameras away.

'Elephants are much loved, intelligent and sentient beings that should not be ridden, touched or used in shows, and they most definitely should not be controlled using such violent means.

On the Taman Safari Indonesia (TSI) website, the zoo claims to be a 'pioneer leader in conservation and recreational parks'.

Doug Cress, chief executive officer at WAZA, said: 'The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums believes that the welfare of the animals in our care is of great importance, and we hold our member zoos and aquariums to the highest standards in this regard.

'The WAZA Code of Ethics expressly prohibits activities that cause animals pain or compel them to act in an unnatural manner, and WAZA does not support shows that demean any animal.

'WAZA takes matters of animal welfare seriously and will investigate this situation fully.'
[....]
Dr Chris Draper, Head of Animal Welfare and Captivity at Born Free, said the charity had been concerned about the activities at Taman Safari for some time.

Dr Draper said they had received numerous complaints from tourists and members of the public visiting the zoo.

'The direct abuse of elephants reported is completely unacceptable and must be investigated by the relevant authorities.

'It is shocking that this zoo is listed as a member of WAZA, which claims to represent 'leading', 'high standard' zoos across the world, and apparently requires its members to 'ensure that they 'ensure that all animals in their care are treated with the utmost care and their welfare should be paramount all times'.

'These assurances begin to sound meaningless in light of the reported abuse and exploitation of elephants in shows and rides at one of their members zoo.'

I had a friend who spent years working with tigers and elephants in a circus. He said the elephants were more dangerous than the tigers (even though he was almost killed by a tiger). Tigers will immediately attack if an opportunity presents itself, but that's about it. Elephants, on the other hand, will plan, he said weeks, maybe even months, in advance. He wasn't a cruel trainer, but he said he was always especially kind to the elephants, because when elephants decides to start shit one day (like trying to escape), they remember the assholes trainers and often go out of their way to hurt them on the way out, whereas kind trainers are not targeted.

So, yea, these assholes at the Taman Safari Zoo are on the elephant's short list to get fucked up when the time is right.

Last edited:
My opinion of mahouts was shattered. I hope most of them (not these men, for sure) actually care about the animals. The management of this so-called zoo should receive the same treatment and see how they like it. They may have encouraged this and employees didn't want to lose their jobs. That's often the way abuses continue being ignored and swept under the company rug.

I also would've thought it incredibly stupid to piss off elephants. These elephants seem a bit on the smallish side to me, so maybe they're young. I suppose it's no wonder that they also seem a bit too tame. I hate, hate, hate, this sort of public attraction. I've no doubt watched too many videos, because I wouldn't dare be in the vicinity of that many elephants without barriers.

Sorry, but the only appropriate ending to this story would be "Elephants squish so-called trainers until their brains flow out their ears".

Back