• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
1568231556105.png

At least 17 people were injured after two elephants became restless and stampeded down a street during a religious parade in Sri Lanka.
The incident happened during the perahera of the Kotte Rajamaha Viharaya temple -- the first procession of the Sacred Tooth Relic -- in Kotte, an area near Colombo, Sri Lanka's de facto capital and largest city.
The elephants were part of the procession when one got distressed and began to get restless, according to local news source Adaderana. Then the second elephant began to exhibit signs of restlessness after seeing the first in distress.
Video captured one of the frightened elephants running through the crowd, trampling those in its path. According to the news source, twelve of the seventeen people injured are women.

I'm not being disrespectful, but is there ever not a religious holy day in Sri Lanka? It seems these poor elephants are always in the news, dressed up in their uber fancy finery (which often disguises the brutal condition they're really in) and lights, always for some parade or other. It breaks my heart...

Back