• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
An Alexandria mother has been charged with a felony in connection to the head injury sustained by her infant.

Brittany Miller, 26, was charged with one count of endangering children.

On July 23, the baby's father, Joshua Metoxen, 24, was charged with one count of second-degree felony child endangering after he allegedly admitted to becoming frustrated with the child's crying and "put the victim down harder than he should (have)."

Court records indicate the Licking County Sheriff's Office was contacted about a possible child abuse case by Nationwide Children's Hospital on July 22. The victim, a 2-month-old boy, presented with a head injury.

According to court records, Metoxen called 911 on July 18, reporting the child wasn't breathing right and he may have "wrapped (the child) too tight." The criminal complaint noted that was likely when the child was injured.

In the 911 call, Metoxen repeatedly says "oh my god" before a dispatcher answers the phone, later begging first responders to hurry. An infant can be heard crying in the background of the call.

"He's alert, but I think he's choking, man," Metoxen tells a dispatcher. "Help me."

Later, he said "I might have wrapped him too tight, man."

The charge filed against Miller was filed after court records say she was aware of the 911 call and waited about four days before taking the child for treatment despite knowledge the child "had not been eating, going to the bathroom, and that the child's eyes were crossed and not focusing."

Cook said the boy suffered a brain bleed and a concussion.

Cook added medical professionals said it's too early to determine if the child will face long-term effects from the injury.
1566691914997.png
1566691967113.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Joshua Metoxen, 34, was sentenced to three to 4.5 years in prison after he admitted to causing injuries to his infant son.

Assistant Licking County Prosecutor Paula Sawyers said the Licking County Sheriff’s Office was called to Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus for an injured 2-month-old. Sawyers said the child was diagnosed with subdural hematoma and retinal hemorrhages, and added doctors reported to law enforcement the child's injuries weren't accidental.

Metoxen, who Sawyers said was the child's sole caregiver during the day, allegedly told police he became frustrated with the baby crying and "he put the child victim down harder than he should have."

According to Sawyers, records show Metoxen called 911 on July 18, reporting the infant wasn't breathing correctly and he may have done something to the child.

Later during the hearing, defense attorney Diane Menashe touched on the 911 call, saying the fact her client called 911 was important supplemental information.

"On the day he called 911, responders came to his house and spent an hour with him and the child, and they left the house saying the child was fine, everything was fine," Menashe said. "So while he clearly did commit the offense in this case, immediately thereafter as indicated by the panic he expressed on the phone, he called 911 - again, not an excuse as to his behavior but potentially mitigating."

During her sentencing recommendation, Sawyers agreed with Menashe that first responders did arrive on July 18 after the 911 call was placed and the child was not taken by EMS to the hospital at that time. She noted EMS probably should've followed up a bit more and that wasn't the parents' fault.
"The child continues to have some issues that are being monitored. They're not going to know the full extent of his injuries until he becomes older and they're able to evaluate (them)," Sawyers said. "There's a potential he may be blind. He's not tracking correctly, but they can not determine that until he becomes more mobile and they can see whether he can find his way around or not and he becomes more verbal."

Sawyers recommended a sentence of four years, and noted if Metoxen does well with prison, he can be evaluated at a later time for judicial release
During his time to address the court, Metoxen said it wasn't his intention to hurt his son.

"'Sorry' doesn't sum up how I feel about this. I love my son very much - beyond words- and I wish for him only the best this life has to offer, and a full and speedy recovery," Metoxen said. "I've had time to think about the decisions that led me here today, and I will never make those mistakes again. Regardless of today's judgement, I'm going to take the steps necessary in order to make myself a better man for myself, my family, and in the hopes I may be a good father."
A single third-degree felony endangering children charge filed in connection to the July incident against the infant's mother, Brittany Miller, was dismissed in August.

Back