• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Muriel Schwenck

Beloved Curmudgeon
April 9 2019

Detectives are investigating the death of a retired Spokane anesthesiologist whose body was found dismembered and burned in the backyard of his Dishman Hills area home.
The victim, Dr. Rex C. Porter, 61,... was the caretaker of his son, Derek C. Porter, 29, who is autistic and nonverbal, according to court documents.
[...]
On Saturday, a neighbor called 911 to report that Porter’s car had been sitting in the driveway for two days with a door open. A garage door had been left open, too.
Spokane County Sheriff’s deputies responded Sunday to the house for a welfare check, according to a search warrant filed Tuesday in Spokane County Superior Court.
Deputies reported seeing the house in disarray as they looked through the windows, including broken glass on the floor. Attempts to call Rex Porter were unsuccessful, prompting deputies to enter the house. They smelled a strong odor they believed to be animal feces, according to court documents.
Deputies continued their search downstairs to the basement and found more glass, along with blood and damaged items. They opened a door and “suddenly an adult male was standing in front of them with only shorts and a T-shirt,” according to court documents.
Deputies detained the individual, believing he was squatting in the house, according to court records.
In the bathroom, the toilet was full of feces and the sink held what deputies thought was the remains of a dead animal, court records stated.
Deputies then determined the man they detained was Derek Porter, Rex Porter’s son who was living in the downstairs bedroom. Derek Porter was taken by medics to Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center, according to court documents.
[...]
Deputies walked the 11 acres of the property and found a fire pit with a human leg partially burned lying near it. When they looked inside the pit, they found a burned head with eyeglasses on it and a torso, according to court documents. The body parts were badly burned, according to court records.
[...]
The cause and manner of Rex’s death is pending, according to the Spokane County Medical Examiner. Deputies said they have not named a suspect.
One family member said Derek “can be violent and has attacked Rex in the past,” court documents stated. The family member also said Derek’s mother had died years ago and Rex was taking care of him alone.
Detectives are analyzing home-surveillance footage from cameras around the house, according to court documents.
[...]

Attachments

• Dr._Rex_C._Porter.jpg
    Dr._Rex_C._Porter.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,775
Dude may be nonverbal and autistic, but that doesn't mean he can't flush the damn toilet, right? Gross.

Also, what a nightmare.
No doubt shit like that was why things went south between Pops and Special Sunny D there.

ETA: Yeah, pun intended.
Post automatically merged:

Promoted, complete with insensitive, assholish title.

Last edited:
I'm thinking:
No doubt the son did it and placed the glasses back on dad's face as if to make him watch himself burn.

If I'm caring for a relative and they attack me, no matter what they are diagnosed with; they are down the road complete with a restraining order.
No. Autism just leads to a very black and white way of thinking. I've worked with many aggressive kids with autism and they do not like when my glasses are off. I wear glasses, the glasses belong on my face, end of story.

That being said, I do not necessarily think the son is the killer. Murdering him in a moment of rage sounds plausible, but trying to cover up the crime in such a manner does not. He couldn't even flush a toilet. I'm thinking the killer was someone else, but the son did end up replacing the glasses because reasons.

Yeah... After looking at the pictures of this guy's nice ass house, I'm thinking it was a botched robbery.

Last edited:
No. Autism just leads to a very black and white way of thinking. I've worked with many aggressive kids with autism and they do not like when my glasses are off. I wear glasses, the glasses belong on my face, end of story.

That being said, I do not necessarily think the son is the killer. Murdering him in a moment of rage sounds plausible, but trying to cover up the crime in such a manner does not. He couldn't even flush a toilet. I'm thinking the killer was someone else, but the son did end up replacing the glasses because reasons.

Yeah... After looking at the pictures of this guy's nice ass house, I'm thinking it was a botched robbery.
That's true, they are OCD to the max. Remember Rain Man? KMart sucks and all that. I had a friend who worked at a behavioral institute for autistic kids and he used to tell me some bizarre stories. He once brought a van load of the kids to our neighborhood 4th July party, for whatever reason. One kid got off the bus, took one look at me from across the street and came running straight toward me screeching and waving his arms. I about shit myself, scared me out of my wits. Well, ok, I just got super stoned but still, it was freaky!

May 21, 2019
Spokane County Sheriff’s detectives are awaiting toxicology results as they investigate the death of a Spokane doctor whose body was found dismembered and burned outside his Dishman Hills-area home in early April.
[...]
Investigators have searched the Porter property to gather evidence as they attempt to piece together what happened to the 61-year-old anesthesiologist.

Search warrants on file with Spokane Superior Court indicate investigators have seized video surveillance equipment from the home, and have taken swabs of Porter’s son, Derek.

[Sheriff’s Deputy Mark] Gregory noted that Derek Porter is not an official suspect, even though investigators labeled Porter’s death a homicide case on their search warrant request to a judge and described the son in the investigative procedure as a suspect.

Investigators have declined to discuss whether the surveillance footage showed Porter’s death.

Gregory said he didn’t know the whereabouts of Derek Porter, who according to court documents is an autistic man who lived in the family home and was under the care of Dr. Porter.
[...]

July 30, 2019

A Spokane anesthesiologist who was found dismembered and burned in his backyard in the Dishman Hills area in April died as a result of an accident, according to the Spokane County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Dr. Rex Porter’s cause of death was ruled probable from cardiac dysrhythmia due to a combined drug toxicity caused by a simultaneous use of alcohol and prescription medication including sertraline, trazadone and ziprasidone, according to the medical examiner.

Sertraline, also known as Zoloft, treats depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder and other mental issues. Trazadone is a drug that treats depression, and ziprasidone treats schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
[...]
The Spokane County Sheriff’s Office closed the investigation into Porter’s death following the results, said spokesman Cpl. Mark Gregory.

“We found no evidence of any criminal acts leading up to his death,” said Gregory.
[...]
Gregory did not disclose why or how Porter’s limbs had been separated and his body burned.
[...]
Detectives seized camera footage from around the house, but police have released no information about what the footage showed and have not reported finding any weapons or tools related to the dismemberment.

"Strange" is totally not a big enough word for this.

So this poor guy dies, of whatever, and only then does he dismember himself and set himself on fire. I'm right ready to believe that a violent autistic grown son could have killed him, just not the part about the dismemberment and fire. Sounds to me like some sort of cover up, but of what, if it was just a botched robbery or some other random violence?

What's his son's medication doing in his system?

With what I've read here combined with my extremely limited imagination, I could make bank writing/selling a script for a Lifetime Original Movie.

Back