• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The pool, which appeared in a back garden in Susan Gedye's Whakarewarewa home, seems to be growing by the day.
[....]
The Rotorua Lakes Council reaffirmed this, saying there had been more ground collapse since Wednesday and the mud pool was now bigger and had reached to just under the foundations of the property's garage.

There was also steam venting from the bank moving towards the house.

Power had been cut off and gas bottles on the property had been removed.
[....]
GNS volcanologist Brad Scott told media at a briefing at the site this morning that he had seen two people throwing stones into the mudpool.

"That's human nature, you put fences up and people will climb over it to have a look."

"It's one of the things we've noticed over the years with geothermal features, if there's a spare stone around someone will pick it up and throw it in," he said.

The council was warning people not to do this.

Its geothermal inspector Peter Brownbridge said people should stay away from the house on Meade Street because it was too dangerous.

"If you want to come and and have a look, come down on to Tryon Street and don't cross the barriers, it's just too dangerous up the top."

"We have a bit of undermining and that hot mud is getting thrown further and further on to the property," he said.
[....]

Why, what will the stones do?

My friends in southern MN own a dairy farm. It's been in their family 150 years. It has a giant sink hole. When I say giant, it's about 400ft across.
It's slow sinking. If you park a car on it, it takes about 3 months for it to get sucked in.
My friend said there is countless cars, trucks, refrigerators farm machinery etc that has been put there over the years. If they can put all that junk down in there, what could a few rocks do?

I think they are saying that they don't want anyone close enough to throw a rock into it. Because you know every male, and some females, in the general area will want to throw a rock or whatever they can lift into it just to see if they can hear it hit the bottom of the bottomless pit. But mainly guys.

Latest posts

Back