• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
I watched a showing of all the shorts that were nominated for the 91 Academy Awards (I'll warn you if you're going to watch, they are ALL depressing). This one kind of stood out. The basis for this movie is the detainment/interrogation of Robert Thompson and James Venables (both aged 10) for the kidnapping and murder of James Bulger (aged 2) in 1993 in a case that shocked the UK, where it happened, as well as the rest of the world. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Bulger)

Now whenever the Bulger case comes up most would focus on the brutal killing, trial, legal precedents, etc. This short took the interesting approach of looking at the time period when Robert and James were arrested and what ended up being their confessions. The police knew they had done it. They were caught on CC video leaving the mall with James, but they needed to get the boys to confess to what happened. Obviously neither boy was going to just come out and say what had happened. This entire short is based on the actual interrogation tapes from the two police stations. The acting of boys was done very well. This was not an easy movie to watch and it is uncomfortable to watch, but it examines the tough question of how do you deal with young offenders that have committed such a heinous crime.

Back