• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/deputy-kills-family-confesses-over-radio-before-turning-gun-on-himself/
serveimage

[....]
Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister said Terry Strawn, a school resource officer at Valrico Elementary School, shot his wife and granddaughter at one home, then went to his daughter's house and shot her. The granddaughter attended the elementary school where the deputy was employed, reports CBS affiliate WTSP.

Strawn then shot himself outside Plant City High School in front of three other deputies who had arrived at the scene. Strawn used his service weapon in the slayings, reports WTSP.

Chronister said during a news conference Strawn came on the department's main radio channel to say he had harmed his family. He also told deputies he was going to kill himself near the high school. Chronister said a supervisor got on the radio and tried to calm Strawn and de-escalate the situation while officers were sent to the scene, according to WTSP.

"Three other deputies located him," said Chronister. "Came into contact with this deputy. Made every attempt possible to try to convince this deputy sheriff that there was a different way, that there was a different solution. Unfortunately, the deputy took his own life on scene in front of the other deputies."

Strawn's final radio transmissions made reference to emotional and financial issues, the sheriff said.

"We're not exactly certain what that means," Chronister said. "That will be part of the investigation."

Chronister said Strawn said in the transmission that he "wanted us to know that depression is real" and that he "wanted to go be with his family."

Chronister identified the victims as 54-year-old Theresa Strawn, the deputy's wife; 32-year-old Courtney Strawn, the deputy's daughter and 6-year-old Londyn Strawn, his granddaughter.

The deputy had ties to the sheriff's office dating back to 1991. He retired from the office and then returned to duty as a school resource officer. Chronister reportedly said they had just told him he was being hired back permanently for the school resource officer position. Chronister said Strawn seemed excited about the news.

The sheriff said Strawn also has other family members employed with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.

Chronister said grief counselors are being made available for the sheriff's office and Valrico Elementary School. The school released a statement saying students and staff are "devastated by this unthinkable tragedy."

"Londyn was a first-grade student at the school," the statement said. "She loved to learn and was excited about reading and math. She had a kind spirit and always helped classmates. The news came as a shock to everyone at the school and they are working through their grief."

This is the second time a Hillsborough County Sheriff's deputy was involved in a murder-suicide. On Sept. 24, a deputy killed his wife and then himself while the couple's four children were home.

So let's see if I've got the logic straight. He was going to kill himself, so he killed his family so he could be with them in the afterlife? Yes, depression is real but keep it to yourself, ffs. Even if you're depressed you realize others aren't, so I don't get these murder-suicides in some cases.

Attachments

• Terry_Strawn.jpg
    Terry_Strawn.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,715
Wonder what his medical problems were. Appeared able bodied.

Curious if some sort of early onset dementia had been suspected or diagnosed. Cant think of anything else that would lead a seemingly normal family man to do something like this. The financial problem stuff seems odd given the fact that he had retired from seemingly a solid gig that youd think would provide solid benefits, and was working again in a similar capacity.

Thanks for posting this, @Satanica! I kept meaning to, but haven't had a chance. This is in my city. I took pottery classes at that high school, and have coworkers whose relatives were there when this happened.

They had to move all the children to the other side of the school. Everything was on lock down and no one knew what was going on at first.

I don't understand the point of killing all the family members OR going to school grounds to off yourself. But I guess logic has no part in any of this.

When people ask me why I am against them having Beliefs, and believing in a sky daddy and second lives. This is a small part of why. Not only do I not want any part of your ignorant text motivating laws and government policy, but things like this happen far to often. He wanted to be with them, but fails to realize the only people suffering, are left behind, and no one went on to any second life, much less any better. This man may not have been particularly religious, but he was influenced by the concept.

Made every attempt possible to try to convince this deputy sheriff that there was a different way, that there was a different solution. Unfortunately, the deputy took his own life on scene in front of the other deputies."
Good, I’m glad he killed himself. I never understood why people try to talk someone from committing suicide after that person murdered of a child, or any other innocent individual. Fuck’em, having them kill themselves solves a lot of problems and saves resources, its the least those pathetic fuckers could do.

I too dont understand why they tried to talk him down.

I suppose perhaps they didnt know the full details. Didnt know the extent of what he had done yet. Pretty weird

When people ask me why I am against them having Beliefs, and believing in a sky daddy and second lives. This is a small part of why. Not only do I not want any part of your ignorant text motivating laws and government policy, but things like this happen far to often. He wanted to be with them, but fails to realize the only people suffering, are left behind, and no one went on to any second life, much less any better. This man may not have been particularly religious, but he was influenced by the concept.
So, you're against people having beliefs if they don't line up with your beliefs? Sounds like a very communistic attitude.

I don’t know where you got the idea that it was a religious reason for this shitbag to kill his family and himself, in the fact this article said:
Strawn's final radio transmissions made reference to emotional and financial issues
Fucknut was a weak and pathetic loser, who rather would kill his family than to appear that he couldn’t provide for them at an acceptable level.

I don’t know where you got the idea that it was a religious reason for this shitbag to kill his family and himself, in the fact this article said:

Fucknut was a weak and pathetic loser, who rather would kill his family than to appear that he couldn’t provide for them at an acceptable level.

It also says that he wanted them to know Depression is real "and that he "wanted to go be with his family." Nothing but religion convinces you that upon death, they are in a better place and that you can be with them again. So, yeah that is where I got that. Yes he was a shit bag, that is not a point of disagreement, but his reasons for their end were ignorant regarding the outcome.
Post automatically merged:

So, you're against people having beliefs if they don't line up with your beliefs? Sounds like a very communistic attitude.

Nope not at all, beliefs are personal and often we don't get to choose what we believe, we either do, or we don't believe. However, I am against ignorance being taught, and people affecting my life, based on their unfounded, unreasonable, and evidence lacking belief. This man murdered and committed suicide with a belief he could be with his family again. He was capable of pulling the trigger of a gun, at a 6 year old, much less his grand daughter, with the intent of ending her life, because he believed there was good in that. How is that beneficial to society? ".....But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. " -Steven Weinberg

Last edited:
Welcome to the twilight zone, where religious zealotry is the flipside of militant atheism.

Back