• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/debt-collector-reaches-settlement-with-41-states-121318.html
[....]
Encore Capital Group, Inc. and its subsidiaries Midland Credit Management, Inc. and Midland Funding, LLC, one of the nation’s largest debt buyers, resolved a probe that alleged the companies collected money without verifying the money was actually owed.

“This multistate, multi-million dollar settlement establishes further safeguards to protect future borrowers from bad collection practices, in addition to providing judgment relief to existing debtors,” said Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi.

Investigators claimed that Midland’s collection effort involved a high volume of lawsuits against consumers whose debt Midland had purchased. In that process, the states charged the company of sighing and filing affidavits that the defendants owed money without verifying the information, including how much was owed. That process is called “robo-signing,” which was used repeatedly during the financial crisis to foreclose on homes.

“The practice of robo-signing hurts consumers, especially our lower-income consumers who may not have the means to fight a debt collector in court,” said Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood. “Midland illegally attempted to collect debts it had not verified through robo-signing and other illegal practices.”

According to Missouri Attorney General Josh Hawley, debt-buying companies purchase unpaid and overdue debts from creditors, such as credit card companies, usually for pennies on the dollar. When they can collect the full amount, the profit margin is huge.

“Debt buyers, including Midland, also take consumers to court to collect the debts they purchase,” Hawley said. “However, people are often unable to afford attorneys to defend the allegations and cases result in default judgments, hurting credit and putting people in jeopardy of having their wages garnished.”

But when debt buyers take consumers to court, they are required to verify that the consumer owes the money and state the exact amount of the debt. Investigators for the states charge this did not always happen.

Under the terms of the settlement, Midland will pay or forgive a number of debts in all 41 states, totalling several million dollars. The company is also required to change its affidavit signing and litigation process to ensure it is collecting the right amount from the correct debtor.

According to legal advice website Nolo.com, cases of consumers being sued for repurchased debt have risen dramatically in recent years. In some cases, the debtor is no longer required to repay because the statute of limitations has expired.

In some cases, Nolo.com says the consumer doesn’t owe the debt because the debtor is someone with the same or similar name.

If contacted by a company that says it has purchased your old debt, Nolo.com advises not to talk to the debt collector on the phone; hang up. If contacted by mail, write a letter requesting validation of the debt.

If you are sued, don’t ignore it. If you fail to respond, the court will award the debt collector a default judgment against you.

I turned in a resume to a debt collection/debt buyer and little did I know they had an old hospital bill of mine. A $1238 bill turned into a $4430 wage garnishment for me. DON'T IGNORE THEM!

You don't owe these evil fuckers a dime unless you admit you're who they're asking for and, then, it's on..

Back