• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!

Authorities in Indiana were able to identify a dead body found 20 years ago with the help of DNA technology and are hoping to solve the murder case.

The woman — Tina L. Cabanaw of Detroit — was IDed by the Steuben County Sheriff’s Department who used an FBI lab in Virginia, the National Missing Persons DNA Database, and a genetic genealogy database.

They finally confirmed Cabanaw’s identity after using a DNA test of her daughter, Jessica Gallegos of Colorado.

“I was starting to lose the hope. It was 20 years later when I got the call,” Gallegos told The Herald-Republican. “It was over.”

Story:
https://nypost.com/2019/07/21/dead-body-identified-20-years-later-through-daughters-dna/

Hopefully they were able to find and preserve DNA of the murderer upon discovering the body. It was 1999, so that's hopeful, but it's a rural area so budget and resources might not have provided means to do so. Or the usual caveats for storage, proper chain of custody, etc.

Back