• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Nell

Unending melancholy
Bold Member!
Darlie Routier is on death row in Texas, convicted of the murder of one of her two sons, who were killed in the early morning of June 6, 1996. The media coverage of the investigation into the murders of Devon and Damon Routier depicted the crime as another heartless mother whose children were getting in the way of her lifestyle, so she killed them.
That is also how the news media, books such as Precious Angels by Barbara Davis, and the prosecutors at her trial portrayed Darlie Routier. Most found it believable in the aftermath of the Susan Smith case two years earlier.

Since her conviction, Darlie and her family have learned a lot more about the legal system. They have presented a far different picture than was originally shown by the press. Even Barbara Davis changed her mind about the case and added a chapter to her book disputing the prosecutor's case.

Read both sides and decide for yourself if this young woman is the she-devil portrayed by the prosecutors and press, or a woman naive of the inner workings of the legal system.

http://crime.about.com/od/current/a/darlieroutier.htm

I do not think that Darlie did this crime at all. For one, she had her throat slit, she almost died. This was not a self inflicted wound. She had EXTENSIVE bruising on her inner arms that had to be the result of a beating. http://www.fordarlieroutier.org/Evidence/Wounds.html

There was a mystery fingerprint that was on the glass coffee table that matched no one. Not Darlie or any others in the family, not the paramedics, not the cops. No one. Their was a bloody sock 100s of yards away. Darlie, with the wound she had had no chance and no time to do that planting of the sock. She had no motive what so ever to murder her children. They were in debt, but the children didn't have life insurance. And she left the youngest child, Drake alive. Why?

Please read the article and look at the pics. Even the lady who wrote a book on her and sat through the whole trial now believes she did not do it. The jurors, some now believe she did not do it. They didn't get to see the bruising pics of her arms, nor did they hear about the fingerprint.

http://www.picsearch.com/pictures/business/top brands/top brands of asia/darlie.html

I remember when this happened. I was still very young but even back then I didn't think she did it.

I only read what you gave me before you started this thread, but I have to agree with you! I don't buy her being guilty either. And after looking at the 2nd link I really don't buy it!

Wow. This woman should have grounds to appeal, or whatever it's called, for a new trial based on the suppressed evidence that might have exonerated her. Sounds to me like she was railroaded.

I really don't get why the Innocence Project, or a similar group hasn't latched onto this one! This is the fucked up side of our system!

I don't understand that either; or she may be on the waiting list. Since the Innocence Project only gets involved in cases where there is DNA evidence, this sounds perfect for them. They do this free of charge, so money for testing and stuff wouldn't be an issue. Do you think that LE still has the evidence or could it have been destroyed after she was convicted. I have no idea how long LE holds evidence.

Please don't take what I state here for fact of any nature, but as I understand it, in cases of this nature, evidence must be held until noone can fight it!

I don't know. I've always thought she was guilty. I don't know how long after the photograph of the cuts on her fingers was taken or if those cuts were stitched but they don't look very deep. Ive seen some pretty gruesome photos of defese cuts on (a usually dead) victim and they looked nothing like hers. I myself suffered some cuts on my fingers after grabbing a knife out of someone's hand, by the blade. That was a long time ago and I don't remember how bad the were cut but the doctor said they could use stitching but opted not to, I think they used tape? Still have a slight scar of two of those fingers(3 cut). I know my fresh cuts looked worse than hers in that photo. And I wasn't even fighting.

I had a friend who would cut herself, and met a girl who did it too, MUCH more serious than my friend(hers were on her stomach, legs, everywhere and there were a lot more scars). But one thing they had in common(besides suicidal urge) is when all the scabbing and redness went away, the scars looked like leaches, white but huge, wide, protruding scars. The scars on my two finger are minimal, you have to look pretty close and even still you might not know what they are unless I told you.

***Just wanted to explain how I ended up grabbing a knife blade...I was aggravating my sister while she was doing dishes. She said something and I tapped her and ran away, sis in hot pursuit(because she was gonna tap me back, we were childish like that). I knew she was behind me and I stopped mid run, turned around and slapped at her hand. Took me a minute to realize I had been cut but sis knew right away,lol

She just happened to have a knife in her hand(washing it) and didn't even think to drop it I guess. She is the sanest person in the family and won't fight let alone try and shank someone, especially me. It was just a little paring knife, 3 inch blade or so. But it was a sharp ass thing. We were young and of course childish, it was dumb, but mom should have been washing the dishes. Just saying. lol

The surgeon who operated on Darlie said that the cut in her neck was 2mm of the carotid sheath but was superficial to the carotid artery. The necklace she was wearing was damaged as a result of the wound but it also blocked the knife from going deeper into her neck. Did the jury get a clear understanding as to the seriousness of her wounds?

I know that her wounds didn't look that bad, but she literally almost died. It wasn't a superficial cut, like the DA said. Also, they never looked into Darin, even though.......

Darin Routier has admitted to trying to arrange an insurance scam, which included someone breaking into their home. He has admitted that he had begun the initial steps to arrange a break-in, but that it was to be done when no one was at home. No jury has heard this admission.

I believe that Darlie took pills. I think she was passed the fuck out when someone entered the house to rob it, on Darins instructions. Darlie was sleeping in the front room with the boys. Darin and Drake were upstairs, safe. (By the way, Darin has admitted he favored Drake the most because of Darlies depression, he took care of him alot)

Someone comes in the house and wakes one or both of the boys. They start to make noise of some kind and dude panics and kills them. All without her waking because she is drugged to the gills. Then he decides to climb on her and slit her throat. She wakes up from the weight and the pain and struggles and SCREAMS DARIN! At the top of her lungs. He decides to GTFO, cause Darin most likely knows him. And there you go. Darin can't say it is his idea and the kids accidentally get killed. He would go to jail. So he....

he attorney that represented Darlie Routier at trial had an apparent conflict of interest, because he reportedly had a pre-arrangement with Darin Routier and other family members not to pursue any defense that could implicate Darin. This attorney allegedly stopped key experts for the defense from completing forensic examinations.

And if Darin was in the house giving mouth to mouth to the boys who was this....

When the paramedics arrived at the scene they said that Darin Routier was outside, but Darin was inside trying to save his children. Who was the man outside?

Paramedics testified they saw a man that resembled Darin on the lawn, but when they got in the house he was in there with the boys and Darlie. Who was that man? Why was he chillin there at 3am?

To many damn questions. And the bruises on the inside of her arms. How would you self inflict that?

I don't know. I've always thought she was guilty. I don't know how long after the photograph of the cuts on her fingers was taken or if those cuts were stitched but they don't look very deep. Ive seen some pretty gruesome photos of defese cuts on (a usually dead) victim and they looked nothing like hers. I myself suffered some cuts on my fingers after grabbing a knife out of someone's hand, by the blade. That was a long time ago and I don't remember how bad the were cut but the doctor said they could use stitching but opted not to, I think they used tape? Still have a slight scar of two of those fingers(3 cut). I know my fresh cuts looked worse than hers in that photo. And I wasn't even fighting.

I had a friend who would cut herself, and met a girl who did it too, MUCH more serious than my friend(hers were on her stomach, legs, everywhere and there were a lot more scars). But one thing they had in common(besides suicidal urge) is when all the scabbing and redness went away, the scars looked like leaches, white but huge, wide, protruding scars. The scars on my two finger are minimal, you have to look pretty close and even still you might not know what they are unless I told you.

***Just wanted to explain how I ended up grabbing a knife blade...I was aggravating my sister while she was doing dishes. She said something and I tapped her and ran away, sis in hot pursuit(because she was gonna tap me back, we were childish like that). I knew she was behind me and I stopped mid run, turned around and slapped at her hand. Took me a minute to realize I had been cut but sis knew right away,lol

She just happened to have a knife in her hand(washing it) and didn't even think to drop it I guess. She is the sanest person in the family and won't fight let alone try and shank someone, especially me. It was just a little paring knife, 3 inch blade or so. But it was a sharp ass thing. We were young and of course childish, it was dumb, but mom should have been washing the dishes. Just saying. lol
J&V, I have had many cuts over my years. Somew inflicted by me and some by others, but I cannot say I really noticed any of them right away! The endorphines seem to take over before the realization!

I read a little about this case and my first thought was that she was a bit strange, like when she had the birthday party at the cemetery for the two sons who died or something like that? Is that true that she did that? I just thought it kinda strange, and so did the cops who watched from a distance. And then there were a couple comments that people heard her say that didn't quite sound right, I think. I'll go try and dig up the article I was reading, but there was also something on the TruTV Crime Library site, if I am allowed to mention that. I can add a link, if it's ok, or if you go to the site, just search for her name. The article there has a lot of info. I don't know how true it is but they do use info from the police and reports and such.

***ETA: Now, as to whether she actually did kill her sons, I'm reserving judgement on that. I feel that the husband had something to do with it, whether with Darlie's help and knowledge or not.

I read a little about this case and my first thought was that she was a bit strange, like when she had the birthday party at the cemetery for the two sons who died or something like that? Is that true that she did that? I just thought it kinda strange, and so did the cops who watched from a distance.

The incriminating Birthday Party film that was viewed by the jury showed Darlie dancing on the graves of her son along with other family members, but did not include the filming of the hours previous to that scene when Darlie sobbed and grieved over the graves with her husband Darin. Why was the additional footage not shown to the jury?

The below video shows the silly string video you are talking about, and the earlier video footage. The prosecutor showed very little of the whole 2 hour taped grave side service.

[video=youtube;_E32kWqtu7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E32kWqtu7o[/video]

First part of the 5 parter if you want it.

[video=youtube;WKbOou3wmAs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKbOou3wmAs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

I read a little about this case and my first thought was that she was a bit strange, like when she had the birthday party at the cemetery for the two sons who died or something like that?
If what I am reading is factual, I can identify with this behaviour! You mourn the death, then you celebrate the time that you were priviliged to spend with them!

I think she did it.

The blood drops on the back of her night gown showed that it was her son's & came from a knife held over her head that she brought up and down while she was stabbing them. There was evidence of a clean-up (blood) in the sink. The knife that cut the screen (from the inside, by the way) was found back inside the correct kitchen drawers w/ the metal from the cut screen still on it. The bruising on her arms came from one her sons thrashing to get away from her while she was stabbing him. She was on diet pills and drinking. She was "suicidal" and depressed shortly before this happened. She had spent everything they had, their business was going under and she was getting ready to loose everything. And many, many more reasons.

During one of the hearings, it was reported to the judge that a hair was found in the screen that looked like Darlie's. Later testing showed that this hair actually belonged to a female police officer who was not at the scene.

Patterson claims that screen residue was found on a kitchen knife. This is a bad assumption by Linch and Patterson because during trial it was determined that the residue was consistent with the fingerprint brush which was used on that knife. Patterson's affidavit confirms that the screen was cut from the outside. It is not known for sure what knife was used.

http://www.fordarlieroutier.org/HerProof/CourtTV.html

I was hoping not to get crucified for saying I thought there were some strange things, but anyway....

The main thing I wanted to get out there was that I don't know whether she did it or not, but I really think the husband had more to do with it, either with her help and knowledge or without it.

Just offering my opinion, is all.

Patterson claims that screen residue was found on a kitchen knife. This is a bad assumption by Linch and Patterson because during trial it was determined that the residue was consistent with the fingerprint brush which was used on that knife. Patterson's affidavit confirms that the screen was cut from the outside. It is not known for sure what knife was used.

Supporters claim the fiber that was found on it was from the brush used testing it. However, there was also the rubber coating that is found on the screen fibers.

For years she and her family have denied that they had any marital problems or argued that night. Suddenly they both admit they spoke of a separation that night. Why did they feel a need to lie about that?

Darlie told 15 or 16 different storyies.

Her alibi for sleeping on the couch was that she was a light sleeper and the baby kept her awake all night, so saying she was in a "deep sleep" doesn't wash.

Her DNA was found in the toe end of the sock.

This was no burglary gone wrong. For one thing burglars usually don't pass up a handfull of gold and diamond rings laying on a counter,

Where did you read that?

I've been reading about this case a long time. I read the court transcripts. I'm trying to find something now, that was said by one of their employees. That she tried to suffocate the baby earlier (I think that day) but it may take me awhile.

Here's some one the things you can find in the transcripts, but it takes a long time to read them,

Darlie was unstable, sick of her life, depressed, and clearly a psychopath (no empathy,
no conscious - seeing objects not people). She is also a histrionic, craving attention.
The marital and finacial problems had been mounting.
She was acting super strange (more than normal) in the months leading up to the murders and
the day of the murders she was even more deranged (note Basia's testimony about her neglect and near
suffocation of Drake earlier that day). She had been thinking about killing those boys for weeks and
that night she snapped. The throat cutting? You wouldn't believe the things people like Darlie do to
themselves for attention

If I'm not mistaken, I think I read the transcripts from this site,

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNGde6jiQPg5esmR6hct_YPp6-tz3w&cad=rja

They might pass up jewels and valuables if shit gets crazy and out of control. Blood, screaming, stabbing little kids, mother attacking you, you'd panic, cause this is not what was to be goin down.

I will never understand how a prosecutor can hide evidence, really, wouldnt he want to know who really commited the crime? This can happen to any of us, we give the wrong reaction, phooom we are gone...

They might pass up jewels and valuables if shit gets crazy and out of control. Blood, screaming, stabbing little kids, mother attacking you, you'd panic, cause this is not what was to be goin down.

This is true. But why would they break in? No robbery, no rape. Just to kill 2 little boys? Bring no murder weapon, use the knives inside the home, then replace one back where it belonged? Left without leaving 1 clue that they had been there?

The finger print that was found was determined to be that of a small female. Why did she stay on the phone with 911 and not rush to the aid of her dying children? Why did she change her story so many times??

Darli is guilty of this, I formed that opinion a long time ago. She is a deceptive person and a skilled liar.
It's kinda like OJ, If she didn't do it, who did? Bah,....Every inmate on Death row has a ongoing appeal till death. You guys are reading too much into this.

Why did she stay on the phone with 911 and not rush to the aid of her dying children?

She was bleeding to death, and Darin was already helping the boys. She was probably in shock.

This is true. But why would they break in? No robbery, no rape. Just to kill 2 little boys? Bring no murder weapon, use the knives inside the home,

The theory is that they came to fake a robbery on Darin's invitation. So they wouldn't bring any murder weapons. So if the boys woke up and said "hey, aren't you dad's friend Joe. WTF?" and they decided to kill witnesses, they would use a weapon from the kitchen, IE; a knife. They didn't take anything because it was supposed to be a fake robbery.

Darli is guilty of this, I formed that opinion a long time ago. She is a deceptive person and a skilled liar.
It's kinda like OJ, If she didn't do it, who did? Bah,....Every inmate on Death row has a ongoing appeal till death. You guys are reading too much into this.

Either innumerate your reasons nicely like Groovy is doing so we can debate or piss off.

*luvs u!*

Back