• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I haven't read a book in so long ... i have plans this summer though. Right now I'm reading popular science. the Artificial intelligence issue.

I was bored and this book Serial Killers: 101 Interesting Facts and Trivia About Serial Killers was a free kindle download, so I went for it. WORSE BOOK EVER!!! It made a piece of my true crime heart die.

However, M. Louisa Locke writes a great crime mystery trilogy, starting off Maids of Misfortune. Those books I recommend fully.

A Game of Thrones, Fire and Ice book one, by George R. R. Martin (love the show, figured I should start reading them. The books are better).

Also: A Court of Mist and Fury, by Sara J Maas. Almost done, trying to keep it going until May 4th when the newest one, A Court of Wings and Ruin, comes out. Hence why I'm also reading Game of Thrones. The wait is painful, lol

I was bored and this book Serial Killers: 101 Interesting Facts and Trivia About Serial Killers was a free kindle download, so I went for it. WORSE BOOK EVER!!! It made a piece of my true crime heart die.
LOL! Some of the free kindle publications read like bad college papers, hastily collected trivia, or just plain amateur mish mash. There is a reason it is free.
I stick to free public domain classics from Amazon, various Project Gutenberg sites. University of Adelaide is especially nice. https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/
Public Domain Review has just uploaded "The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner" which is perfect for the Dreamin' Demon.

Last edited:
LOL! Some of the free kindle publications read like bad college papers, hastily collected trivia, or just plain amateur mish mash. There is a reason it is free.
I stick to public domain classics from Amazon, various Project Gutenberg sites. University of Adelaide is especially nice. https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/
Public Domain Review has just uploaded "The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner" which is perfect for the Dreamin' Demon.
They aren't always so bad. I got into the Maids of Misfortune because the book after in the series was free. I read it, loved it, went to find the first one and then the third. Sometimes you can get some real winners. Other times...not so much. I'm just glad I didn't pay for it, as last I check the Serial Killer one was $2.99. Total ripoff.

I think everyone should have been forced to read the books before watching the series, lol, or at least read them all after the first season. am not impressed with how many years it has been since the last book

I think everyone should have been forced to read the books before watching the series, lol, or at least read them all after the first season. am not impressed with how many years it has been since the last book

I totally agree with you! And we've been waiting how long for The Winds of War? And he's STILL writing the damn thing!!!!

So I took the recommendation and read Unwind. Y'all don't read that when you have to sleep or have something to do!! I couldn't make myself put it down until 3am this morning, and when I woke up I didn't even eat until I had finished it. Damn good book.

Reading "The Bad Seed" by William Marsh. Yes, the same as the old movie but not with the Moral Hollywood ending... heh heh heh
17941646.jpg

Also reading, The Book of Geese, By Dave Holderread. Not an obscure scandinavian mystery romance, but a practical guide to raising geese. I'm expecting a shipment of goslings and want everything to go smoothly. Squeeeee!
canada-gosling.jpg

Last edited:
Been reading comics. Low is beautiful and lush visually, in stark contrast to the severity of the story...

Set thousands of years into the future, so far that the sun is expanding (would that be hundreds of thousands of years? Thousands of thousands of years? Don't judge) ...mankind sorted out how to get away from the heat by packing it up and moving it to under the sea.

The story picks up where those underground sea cities are running out of air. One woman has been tracking the progress of a space pod sent out 10 years prior to find a habitable planet. Success! But she has a hell of a time communicating that to the governor, who is living up the last of days in a big Roman-type orgy.

But I've said too much already.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/low

The graphic novel series Fables is awesome. I am almost finished with it, and if you don't like incomplete series, don't worry, this one is completely finished (though has some offshoots).

I don't have it, @Alf

Is Ibid good? I was pretty disappointed Herbert West–Reanimator wasn't in this since I really like those movies
it has to have the people herds kept in the dungeon basement story, that one still freaks me out when I think of it and I read it as a kids decades ago!

I can
Is it about a painter, @PsychoKitty? I just read Pickman's Model
t remember why the guy went into the house but it was an old wealthy family that had had it like forever. Keep in mind literally I read this when I was about 12 yrs old but never forgot it or Lovecraft afterwards. They were people/cattle that they bred and ate that is all I remember

Quiet Flows the Don by M. Sholokhov. All 4 novels in one cinderblock of a book volume. 1300 pages.
I watched the 6+ hour Soviet movie version, so decided to take on the novel.
[doublepost=1496790874,1493755005][/doublepost]John Buchan, the Presbyterian Cavalier. By Andrew Lownie. Biography. Excellent

thanks to the lovely Countess, i am reading The Fireman by Joe Hill.
[doublepost=1498572907,1498143444][/doublepost]ok so, The Fireman was extremely long. it kept me reading for the most part, but sometimes it put me to sleep. it's overly descriptive. i like to be able to picture things but this would go on for 2 pages describing a house. other than that, i have nothing bad to say. 6/10 would fall asleep to it again.

thanks to the lovely Countess, i am reading The Fireman by Joe Hill.
[doublepost=1498572907,1498143444][/doublepost]ok so, The Fireman was extremely long. it kept me reading for the most part, but sometimes it put me to sleep. it's overly descriptive. i like to be able to picture things but this would go on for 2 pages describing a house. other than that, i have nothing bad to say. 6/10 would fall asleep to it again.

Yes, holy shit such a boring book. I haven't finished it. And I'm a whore for nineteenth-century literature, so I'm definitely interested in boring crap. But Jesus H Christ, The Fireman is brutal. I'd rather read the dozens of pages on agrarian business in Anna Karenina than continue reading The Fireman.

I am currently reading A Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe. It's decent.

I just started reading The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker. Barker's style is kinda pretentious but I like Hellraiser; so far it's worth reading for the Cenobites
I read The Damnation Game. I love his style. Hellraiser was a childhood fav of mine. The Cenobites kick ass, when the lights dim and they show up, i was amazed at the hooks when I was a kid

I read The Damnation Game. I love his style. Hellraiser was a childhood fav of mine. The Cenobites kick ass, when the lights dim and they show up, i was amazed at the hooks when I was a kid

Maybe I'm still upset about Candyman. Candyman is one of my favorite horror movies but I hated the short story it was based on. I don't know why. I think it's because the movie's set in America. My family's from Chicago so it's easier to relate to Cabrini-Green than council estates

Last edited:
Back