• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
What a tangled web politics can weave — even when it comes to crafting.

Ravelry — a popular knitting and crocheting online community that boasts millions of users — is banning forum posts, projects, patterns, profiles and all other content that “constitute support” for President Trump or his administration.

“We cannot provide a space that is inclusive of all and also allow support for open white supremacy,” an announcement posted Sunday on the site read. “Support of the Trump administration is undeniably support for white supremacy.”

Some users weren’t happy about the news. They said the change would prompt them to immediately shut down their accounts, while others questioned the claim of being “inclusive while banning or censoring half the country for supporting” Trump.

“I am just guessing that you didn’t ban Obama supporters,” a reply to the post read. “I am removing my account and will be spreading the word that others should do so as well.”

Full Story:
https://nypost.com/2019/06/24/crafting-website-bans-users-from-sharing-support-for-trump/

I don't agree with everyone's politics, hell I don't expect anyone to agree with mine, that's what life is, we have to accept that not everything is going to go the way we want it to go. But this is ridiculous. Just because you don't like the current sitting President (regardless of party), respect the office. Banning membership for support of something that goes against YOUR accepted politics is the start of a slippery slope that leads to exactly what you are worried about happening. Fascism is a scary path

For me needlework is an escape from people. Last thing I want to discuss on ravelry is current events.

Here is an example of how crazy it is getting. It is mostly women forming these internet locust swarms.

Also, when this racism and exclusion in the knitting community kerfuffle started several months ago I was kicked off the Instagram account of designers Arne & Carlos, whose specialty is NORWEGIAN knitting and design..
On Instagram, they jumped on the "racism in knitting" band wagon. (Probably a strategic move so they would not be the next target - there is nothing whiter than Norwegian knitting. Though they are extremely popular in Japan, Korea, China.) I made a sarcastic joke which everyone took completely seriously, so I made an even more sarcastic joke, and was instantly banned. :woot:
Post automatically merged:

How long before America implodes over its politics now?
I genuinely worry for you guys.
I've genuinely worried about Canada suffering under Trudeau. The 4 year travail is almost over!

Last edited:
I am a member of ravelry but I rarely go there, only if I'm looking for a specific pattern that's on my pattern page. The few times I tried to join in with a discussion, I was either totally ignored or was cussed out (without using cuss words, of course),seems like I shared a pattern that was free, sometimes I couldn't even figure out what I'd done. It's like a high school girls' cliche with some people acting just about that mature. So I totally see this kind of thing happening there. Mostly just a snipey bunch of women.

I am a member of ravelry but I rarely go there, only if I'm looking for a specific pattern that's on my pattern page. The few times I tried to join in with a discussion, I was either totally ignored or was cussed out (without using cuss words, of course),seems like I shared a pattern that was free, sometimes I couldn't even figure out what I'd done. It's like a high school girls' cliche with some people acting just about that mature. So I totally see this kind of thing happening there. Mostly just a snipey bunch of women.
LOL. Snipey is right! Ravelry is an amazing database. The bitchy female element is the problem. And they are probably the minority. Most people just use the database and look for patterns.

I am tempted to create a pattern for a tapestry crochet MAGA beanie and post it. Just to be the gadfly.
Here is their home page:
Capture.jpg

“We cannot provide a space that is inclusive of all and also allow support for open white supremacy,”

This is the seriously retarded bit. This is what happens when partisan hacks in the media and in politics continually spout ridiculous lies. Any rational person can see through them, but to morons a lie repeated enough times becomes the truth (and yes that was Goebbels reference). I mean, how many lefty fruit loops still believe the Russia hoax?

My friend called me last night at midnight, no less, to ask me if I'd seen this, she didn't go there regularly but now she not going there at all ever.

No politics on the forums or you will be banned should have been sufficient but they had to go all the way and piss off most likely a third of their subscribers.

Like or not, Trump is President for the time being. If folks want to knit tributes or satire, for that matter, what the fuck is wrong with it? It's going to get very tedious for any site that wants to eliminate personal expression, especially for a sitting President! Instead, they should say nothing submitted by users reflects the views and opinions of the forum owners, blah, blah, blah. Much easier than their current approach.

I have a feeling that this type of thing is exactly how the anti-vax movement got started.

Also, when this racism and exclusion in the knitting community kerfuffle started several months ago I was kicked off the Instagram account of designers Arne & Carlos, whose specialty is NORWEGIAN knitting and design..
Getting banned from a Norwegian knitting account is a pretty interesting trivia fact about yourself!

I have a feeling that this type of thing is exactly how the anti-vax movement got started.

Getting banned from a Norwegian knitting account is a pretty interesting trivia fact about yourself!
LOL, not really. I'm a mediocre knitter anyway. Any member who likes knitting and other needlework, I highly recommend the Arne&Carlos youtube channel. Great knitting tutorials. Their Instagram is not so useful, but pleasant.

And turd, it's not a feeling, that's exactly what anti-vaxxers do: banish anyone who dissents, or even asks questions that hint at skepticism. The internet allowed anti vaxxing to become the monster it is today.

Last edited:
Back