• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

An officer with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police was arrested Tuesday and accused of inhumane behavior, including making a mentally ill man "dougie" and "twerk" while video-taping him.
Rachel Sorkow, 29, is facing multiple charges related to videos she allegedly took of four people who were in her control as an officer. In addition to recording citizens in distress and distributing the videos to her friends, police say she also broke the law when she allegedly searched addresses, arrest records and license plate numbers of "potential boyfriends or girlfriends of friends and family," Fox 5 reports.

One video, believed to have been taken by Sorkow, reportedly shows her responding to a call of a mentally ill man wearing two dresses and his hair in pigtails.

"I just want to see you dougie and twerk and then we're good," she allegedly said to the man. "Yea! Get it again, one more time," she said when he started dancing. On another occasion, Sorkow reportedly recorded herself feeding gummy bears to a handcuffed person while making plane noises, like one would do for a child. She also was reportedly seen asking an overweight woman if she'd ever considered being on the television show "My 300-Pound Life."

In academia, the 'Stanford Prison Experiment' has been widely debunked and discounted as a legitimate study. The scientific method was basically thrown in the trash and the results should not be cited.

In the future, if you hear anyone cite this study disregard them, as they are ill-informed.

https://www.livescience.com/62832-stanford-prison-experiment-flawed.html
Thank you for that. This reminds me of the "Kitty Genvoese murder and the Bystander Effect", which also had some serious flaws, both in the initial reporting and studies shortly thereafter. Subsequent investigations showed that few people could have actually been aware of the murder as it was happening and a few of those people actually did attempt to intervene or call the police (one person who did call was an ex-con that refused to give his name because he was afraid of breaking his parole). The "Bystander Effect" has been shown to be a lot more complicated than first thought, and not as bleak, with a ton of cultural and social aspects that dictate expected behavior.

Active Self Protection on YouTube shows many examples of the “Bystander Effect” in his break down videos of surveillance footage. I’ve seen some where the people just continue to go about their business as if nothing is happening. I’ve seen some where they watch, but don’t do anything to help the victim until someone else jumps into the fight. People also always talk about fight or flight, but they always forget that third “F”. FREEZE.

Back