• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

A Missouri woman was arrested Tuesday morning for allegedly firing a gun in the parking lot of a Kansas City DMV after witnesses say she became impatient due to the long lines.

Officers with the Platte County Sheriff’s Office and the Kansa City Police Department responded to the Parkville Department of Motor Vehicles on Cosby Rd. at around 11:30 a.m. after receiving reports of multiple shots fired.

Once on the scene, deputies arrested Vanessa Richey, 34, after discovering that she allegedly fired two shots from a handgun inside the facility’s parking lot.

While police did not name a motive in Tuesday’s shooting, one witness told The Kansas City Star that Richey was seen acting erratically moments before reportedly opening fire.

“Something was wrong, I don’t know what it is — drugs, mental or whatever — but she just insisted on getting taken care of immediately,” Patricia Zick said.

Zick told the newspaper Richey became belligerent and started using foul language, adding at one point “the president’s security was in danger.”

Ha ha, that's definitely not a battle I'd pick. In Dallas County they have eliminated the small satellite renewal offices, so now you have to go to this enormous facility that is everything driving related. However, there are no visible lines. You walk in and take a ticket from a dispenser according to what you're there for and then have a seat. The seating is arranged so that you can't tell how many folks might be ahead of you. Every few minutes there's a call for such and such ticket numbers. When they called my number, I headed into this vast pool of cubicles with desks and was directed to an actual line but it was only as long as the number of tickets they had called up which was maybe 10 or 12. When it's your turn you're called to one of those cubical desks where your photo is taken and you get your provisional license while you wait on the actual one to arrive in the mail.

This experience was actually way better than what I endured at the little satellite office that used to be just a couple of blocks from work. It was too small, not enough parking, and just crammed with people. The clerks at the counter were unpleasant as well. In contrast, the super center was excellent and very professional.

The DMV can push people in special ways. Where I use to live a hour south of KC the DMV was only open 2 days a week because the satellite offices have traveling staff, who sucked, and the wait was always horrible because people came down from Kansas City if they sucked at driving in the metro to take their driving test in a small town.

It was so bad most people who lived in that town would go to a DMV 45 minutes to the south to avoid the bullshit.

I know exactly how she feels.

Even when you have an appointment, it still takes 4 hours. Biggest bunch of bullshit.
Stand over here, stand over there, get in this line, one person looks at your papers and sends over there, wait in line someone else looks at your papers and sends you to another line.

So I'm not sure if this is true in every state, but I now have Triple A insurance and they have a DMV office right inside the Lobby. No more shuffle games. In and out in 15 minutes.

I had to go into the center instead of renewing on line, because it had been too long and my photo was outdated. I think it's every 10 years, but I can't remember. With luck, I'll be dead by the time it comes up again.

My local DMV is run very well, using the numbers system and it's pretty quick. The main DMV facility is a nightmare, with evil, nasty ass people who graduated from the Darth Vader school of customer service. Lots of people with high blood pressure standing in line, looking as miserable as the jerks behind the counters. I avoid going there at all costs!

Wait a second. You mean her firing off a gun didn't immediately impress the DMV people so much that she was moved to the front of the line and served immediately? Well I for one am totally shocked. It sounded like the perfect way to get faster service!

Seriously though, what kind of a demented jackass thinks this is the right response? First of all she shouldn't have any kind of access to a firearm whatsoever. Secondly, with that kind of temperament putting her behind the wheel of a motor vehicle is probably a pretty bad idea. 3rd, this happens in America and there aren't a bunch of good people with guns around her ready to take her out permanently? Disappointed.

She allegedly walked up to the counter and said it was a matter of national security that she be helped before everyone else, court documents said.

When told she would have to wait her turn...

Hahahahaha fucking DMV drones, I bet they were completely deadpan, too.

"Ma'am, I said you're going to have to wait. NEXT... NUMBER 42, YOU'RE NEXT."
"But it's the president, and all of Congress, they're going to blow it all up... I have to get this license so I can get to Cincinnati and stop them. The ferrets are off their leashes... DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?"
"... NUMBER 42, YOU'RE NEXT"

Richey is charged with making a terrorist threat with the purpose of frightening 10 or more people. She is also charged with unlawful use of a weapon for exhibiting a gun in an angry and threatening manner. Making a terrorist threat is a felony punishable by up to seven years in prison; the felony of unlawful use of a weapon carries a maximum four-year prison term.

Nice.

My last experience at the DMV was also awful,it was December, cold as a witches tit, and raining cats and dogs, The door closed and locked and folks were lining up outside for when they opened the door, I got soaked, I'm not a great beauty on a good day but that day my hair was plastered to my head and then they made me take off my glasses, so I looked like a freezing and wet nearly blind woman having her picture taken. I gotta go again in 2020, I'm already dreading it.

DMV is so overbooked in CA it is hard to even book an appointment. My daughter had to schedule her driving test in a town 20 miles away just to get an appointment in 8 weeks. They weren't even scheduling driving appointments at our local one (just down the street).

So I drove her to the town where her appointment was scheduled and practiced driving in the area of the DMV so she could be somewhat familiar with the streets there.

If you live in Norcal I suggest you use caution when on the roads, she passed her test on Thursday. :oops:

With or without a gun.
I soldiered through without a weapon. I made the appt 6 weeks ago. Due to spotty bus service, I walked a mile in summer heat and stood in the appointments line for 40 minutes. My appt was for 2:20PM. Finally a clerk summoned me and asked if I had an appointment. "Yes, that's why I was in the appt line." She asked when was the appointment, I told her, and she asked "what happened, were you late?" With barely concealed rage I said, " I've Been Standing In Line for 40 Minutes That's Where I Was!" So she sent me to the kiosk to fill out a renewal form, and said "Hurry up, you have 10 minutes to complete the form or you can't take the test."
Grrrr.
So I filled out the form, and another lady processed me. But I had a tiny revenge! I handed her a Western Union money order as payment. Seems they had never handled a money order from a customer. She called over a manager for advice. Then she failed to check some boxes, said I couldn't have a license, the manager came again and showed her how. Time for a photo: my face was now sunburned, I ran a comb through my hair for a second and popped in my temporary bridge so I could smile for the camera without that odd gap at the side. Of course I stared glumly, so the photo will be a red faced grumpy chubby chick. I just wanted to look civilised.
Good news is the test is super easy, the rest went fast, and I shlepped home with a bottle of wine and some frozen potstickers.

So yeah, typical day at a California DMV.

I soldiered through without a weapon. I made the appt 6 weeks ago. Due to spotty bus service, I walked a mile in summer heat and stood in the appointments line for 40 minutes. My appt was for 2:20PM. Finally a clerk summoned me and asked if I had an appointment. "Yes, that's why I was in the appt line." She asked when was the appointment, I told her, and she asked "what happened, were you late?" With barely concealed rage I said, " I've Been Standing In Line for 40 Minutes That's Where I Was!" So she sent me to the kiosk to fill out a renewal form, and said "Hurry up, you have 10 minutes to complete the form or you can't take the test."
Grrrr.
So I filled out the form, and another lady processed me. But I had a tiny revenge! I handed her a Western Union money order as payment. Seems they had never handled a money order from a customer. She called over a manager for advice. Then she failed to check some boxes, said I couldn't have a license, the manager came again and showed her how. Time for a photo: my face was now sunburned, I ran a comb through my hair for a second and popped in my temporary bridge so I could smile for the camera without that odd gap at the side. Of course I stared glumly, so the photo will be a red faced grumpy chubby chick. I just wanted to look civilised.
Good news is the test is super easy, the rest went fast, and I shlepped home with a bottle of wine and some frozen potstickers.

So yeah, typical day at a California DMV.
It doesn't sound as bad as it could have been. But doesn't sound as smooth as it should have been.

I truly don't understand why the DMV is such a circle jerk.

I truly don't understand why the DMV is such a circle jerk.

And not just random places but everywhere.

Also this last time I had to prove who I was to get the license, at least proof beyond what I usually have to show, Two bills in my name to prove my address, and proof of any name changes that I have had, I brought my birth certificate, two marriage certificates, divorce papers and the last hubby's death certificate. Yep all of that while standing in the freezing fucking rain. He did say the death certificate was unnecessary but I had brought it because, why not, the only thing they hadn't asked for was my ob-gyn paperwork and they might want that next year. Who knows!?

Back