• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
A Colorado runner was attacked Monday by a mountain lion during a trail run in the northern part of the state that resulted in puncture wounds to his face, arms, legs and back and the death of the animal.

Rebecca Ferrell, a spokeswoman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife, tells The Coloradoan the man was running alone at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space near Fort Collins when he was attacked from behind.

The runner, whose name has not been released, fought off the cougar-- killing it in the process-- and hiked out of the area and drove himself to a hospital. The Denver Post reported that the runner suffered serious injuries that included facial bite wounds and lacerations to his body. He is expected to recover.

Wildlife officers searching the trail found the juvenile mountain lion's body near several of the runner's possessions. They estimated that the animal weighed about 80 pounds.

“The runner did everything he could to save his life. In the event of a lion attack you need to do anything in your power to fight back just as this gentleman did,” Mark Leslie, Colorado Parks and Wildlife Northeast Region manager, told KKTV.

The last mountain lion attack in Colorado was reported in June 2016 in Pitkin County.

“Mountain lion attacks are not common in Colorado and it is unfortunate that the lion’s hunting instincts were triggered by the runner,” Ty Petersburg, area wildlife manager for CPW, said. “This could have had a very different outcome.”

full

Shit. Have to wonder if the animal was sick or elderly and that's why it was going after a human in the first place.

Regardless, fighting off an 80 lb mountain lion with your bare hands is definitely impressive and I find myself really wanting to know what kind of shape this victim was in to be able to accomplish this. Or what kind of skill sets he already had. :wideyed:

I would love to hear how he killed it.
this reminds me of the daniel boone killed a bear cartoon that shows him with a dead new born cub
yep, while I am sure he had a knife and this wouldn't have been easy, it could've been done with the right knife,I carry one all the time, it was a cub and probably less weight than they gave it, something probably happened to it's mom and this could have been dumb chase reaction: "Wildlife officers searching the trail found the juvenile mountain lion's body near several of the runner's possessions. They estimated that the animal weighed about 80 pounds."

Last edited:
Shit. Have to wonder if the animal was sick or elderly and that's why it was going after a human in the first place.

Regardless, fighting off an 80 lb mountain lion with your bare hands is definitely impressive and I find myself really wanting to know what kind of shape this victim was in to be able to accomplish this. Or what kind of skill sets he already had. :wideyed:
No- it was a juvenile- young, likely not much experience, probably hungry, winter- not as much to eat and desperate. I'm sorry for the animal. Runners can carry a stun gun- the animals should still be allowed to live their lives w/o lethal alternatives. Humans are destroying the planet, themselves, and the rest of it's inhabitants

Soooo using a stun gun let's the lion stay alive so when he recovers he can chase down the next jogger and finish his lunch?

That makes no sense.

There is a mountain lion near me. The sheriffs department keeps issuing warnings about it.. a stun gun never crossed my mind. My Smith and Wesson did though. Just saying. If he runs at me he's getting dropped. I'm not taking the "animals should still be able to live their lives" route. Nope.

Um no. If he runs at me with intent of pouncing me to make us his lunch, I'm shooting the fuck out of him, and not getting my (or my childs) face sewn back on. Just saying...

No- it was a juvenile- young, likely not much experience, probably hungry, winter- not as much to eat and desperate. I'm sorry for the animal. Runners can carry a stun gun- the animals should still be allowed to live their lives w/o lethal alternatives. Humans are destroying the planet, themselves, and the rest of it's inhabitants
I appreciate the sentiment, and agree that killing should always be a last resort... But there's a big difference between "oh that animal/person of color looked threatening so I shot it" and "that animal/person literally tried to kill me and I have puncture wounds all over my body so I shot it."

No way! Once a wild animal has attacked a human it needs to be put down.

it was cub, I really think he set this up, the damage to him was minimal of what an attacking cat can do. Even a feral kitten will rip you a new asshole weighing under a pound and this little guy was fighting fr it's life. This finding and attacking small young relatively defenseless predator animals has become a new thing to look manly and getting attention for jerk offs. Mainly bear cubs and wold pups now cats.

well, all the tests came back & were very reluctantly made public; it was probably closer to 2 months old as it weighted in at 20 lbs, they kinda tried to cover for the guy claiming predation but it was picked up immediately. I have cats that big or at least 2 right now. Any thing is gonna fight for it's life & at that age could have been lured to play or just chased like a game. This guy is a loser as there is no way it would have seriously been on the attack imo

it was cub, I really think he set this up, the damage to him was minimal of what an attacking cat can do. Even a feral kitten will rip you a new asshole weighing under a pound and this little guy was fighting fr it's life. This finding and attacking small young relatively defenseless predator animals has become a new thing to look manly and getting attention for jerk offs. Mainly bear cubs and wold pups now cats.

Uhhhhh I disagree.
full

Post automatically merged:

Kauffman ended up receiving 19 stitches along his left cheek, another six stitches on the bridge of his nose and three stitches on his wrist (where the lion's mouth was). Kauffman said he had several puncture wounds from the cat's teeth and claws but otherwise felt "great" as he recovered from the attack.

Last edited:
Uhhhhh I disagree.
that is unwashed blood and scratches, he was pummeling it and it was trying to defend itself, a raccoon could have done more damage than this look ar how fast and easily he was cleared up, 20 stitches is nothing, I will try to find a picture of him at podum interview as he was released immediately afterwards. Serious, your dog could have done more dame if being beat to death

can't add to the last post but hadve had some experiences with big cats in the wild in US they are usually hy and se them going opposite direction or heard them at night. Someone just brought this nightmare up from 81 that was rereleased in 2015, keep in mind Melanies mom Tippi raised her with big cats in the house [stupid] read what playing did on set:
That kitten was fighting fo it's life, i don't think it attacked at all now, he would have had wounds on his legs

Starting to consider he tried to pick it up and things went south. In true demon fashion though, where was mom?
r it was injured and he thought an easy kill/story. I wish ppl hadn't made me remember that movie on twitter the other night but was appropriate for damage a big cat can do: one sanctuary carer in Wash they were videoing with a teenage male in his cage [teenage males are assholes] and it playfully slapped/grabbed him on the ass which was good for at least 25 stitches[they use triple the amount per inch on faces] I am thinking with these two stories that there is a serious poaching/ trapping issue going on up there for these cats to not be with their mothers especially this one & the pack of juveniles is really weird too because they aren't pack animals. Cougars usually stay with their mom for over a year they usually have two to four cubs and moms stay relatively close for the first 6 months. To size gauge and because they are cute this is of a pair of leopards which are close to size with cougar babies, they weigh in at 10/12lbs a piece

sick orphaned starving kitten whose litter mates were captured afterwards and now in a facility, I lunge would have had head claw marks imo
https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article227053504.html
A Colorado man who was forced to kill a mountain lion with his bare hands recounts his terrifying ordeal in this video, released by Colorado Parks and Wildlife on February 14. BY COLORADO PARKS AND WILDLIFE VIA STORYFUL
The mountain lion that attacked and bit a Colorado trail runner’s face last month was a young kitten who was likely without its mother, a wildlife official said, according to NBC News.

That 3-to-4-month-old mountain lion was also “hungry, but not starving,” NBC reported.

“The lion lunged at the runner, biting his face and wrist,” Colorado wildlife officials wrote on Feb. 4, the same day as the attack.

In self-defense, the Horsetooth Mountain Open Space jogger fought back and killed the cougar without any weapons, McClatchy previously reported. The runner has since been identified by Colorado Parks and Wildlife as Travis Kauffman, the Fort Collins Coloradoan reported.
Colorado Parks and Wildlife released the final necropsy report for the dead mountain lion last week, KDVR reported. The Colorado TV station published the necropsy report online.

In the report, a wildlife official wrote that the necropsy findings confirm Kauffman’s story — he killed the mountain lion by strangling the kitten and with blunt force trauma. The runner said he strangled the cat by stepping on its throat, the report says.

“Kauffman said he used a large rock and pummeled the lion in the back of the head,” KDVR reported. “He then choked the animal to death with his hands, arms and feet after it bit and clawed him in the face and on his body.”

The mountain lion carcass weighed 24 pounds at the time of the autopsy, but it was “not fully intact due to scavenging,” the report says. Part of its rib cage was missing, and other body parts and organ parts had been eaten.

Veterinarians believe the mountain lion weighed about 35 to 40 pounds when it pounced on Kauffman, the Coloradoan reported.

Jason Clay, a spokesman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife, told NBC that the strangled kitten was most likely eaten by its two orphaned siblings.

“We had no signs of an adult female being anywhere near the scene that day, or in the following days, which is one reason why we think these kittens were orphaned,” he said, according to NBC.

Bite marks in the carcass were from teeth about the same size as the cougar, the necropsy report published by KDVR says.

It’s “lion behavior” for lions to eat their siblings’ carcass, according to the Coloradoan.

Those two siblings — both hungry, but in good condition — have since been trapped by wildlife officials and taken to a rehabilitation facility, the newspaper reported. They won’t be released back into the wild “until the animals have a strong chance of survival.”
there has to be alot of poaching fr the baby and young cougars to be being foud like this:

Last edited:
Back