• You must be logged in to see or use the chatbox

A Colorado runner was attacked Monday by a mountain lion during a trail run in the northern part of the state that resulted in puncture wounds to his face, arms, legs and back and the death of the animal.

Rebecca Ferrell, a spokeswoman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife, tells The Coloradoan the man was running alone at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space near Fort Collins when he was attacked from behind.

The runner, whose name has not been released, fought off the cougar-- killing it in the process-- and hiked out of the area and drove himself to a hospital. The Denver Post reported that the runner suffered serious injuries that included facial bite wounds and lacerations to his body. He is expected to recover.

Wildlife officers searching the trail found the juvenile mountain lion's body near several of the runner's possessions. They estimated that the animal weighed about 80 pounds.

“The runner did everything he could to save his life. In the event of a lion attack you need to do anything in your power to fight back just as this gentleman did,” Mark Leslie, Colorado Parks and Wildlife Northeast Region manager, told KKTV.

The last mountain lion attack in Colorado was reported in June 2016 in Pitkin County.

“Mountain lion attacks are not common in Colorado and it is unfortunate that the lion’s hunting instincts were triggered by the runner,” Ty Petersburg, area wildlife manager for CPW, said. “This could have had a very different outcome.”

Comments

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!

everjaded

ಠ_ಠ
Bold Member!
Shit. Have to wonder if the animal was sick or elderly and that's why it was going after a human in the first place.

Regardless, fighting off an 80 lb mountain lion with your bare hands is definitely impressive and I find myself really wanting to know what kind of shape this victim was in to be able to accomplish this. Or what kind of skill sets he already had. :wideyed:

ChaosKitty

Queen Bitch From Hell
Bold Member!
I would love to hear how he killed it.
this reminds me of the daniel boone killed a bear cartoon that shows him with a dead new born cub
yep, while I am sure he had a knife and this wouldn't have been easy, it could've been done with the right knife,I carry one all the time, it was a cub and probably less weight than they gave it, something probably happened to it's mom and this could have been dumb chase reaction: "Wildlife officers searching the trail found the juvenile mountain lion's body near several of the runner's possessions. They estimated that the animal weighed about 80 pounds."

Last edited:

Metalchic14

Shit. Have to wonder if the animal was sick or elderly and that's why it was going after a human in the first place.

Regardless, fighting off an 80 lb mountain lion with your bare hands is definitely impressive and I find myself really wanting to know what kind of shape this victim was in to be able to accomplish this. Or what kind of skill sets he already had. :wideyed:
No- it was a juvenile- young, likely not much experience, probably hungry, winter- not as much to eat and desperate. I'm sorry for the animal. Runners can carry a stun gun- the animals should still be allowed to live their lives w/o lethal alternatives. Humans are destroying the planet, themselves, and the rest of it's inhabitants

SimplySpaztastic

Trusted Member
Staff member
Soooo using a stun gun let's the lion stay alive so when he recovers he can chase down the next jogger and finish his lunch?

That makes no sense.

There is a mountain lion near me. The sheriffs department keeps issuing warnings about it.. a stun gun never crossed my mind. My Smith and Wesson did though. Just saying. If he runs at me he's getting dropped. I'm not taking the "animals should still be able to live their lives" route. Nope.

Um no. If he runs at me with intent of pouncing me to make us his lunch, I'm shooting the fuck out of him, and not getting my (or my childs) face sewn back on. Just saying...

No- it was a juvenile- young, likely not much experience, probably hungry, winter- not as much to eat and desperate. I'm sorry for the animal. Runners can carry a stun gun- the animals should still be allowed to live their lives w/o lethal alternatives. Humans are destroying the planet, themselves, and the rest of it's inhabitants
I appreciate the sentiment, and agree that killing should always be a last resort... But there's a big difference between "oh that animal/person of color looked threatening so I shot it" and "that animal/person literally tried to kill me and I have puncture wounds all over my body so I shot it."

Keepalowprofile

She believed she could so she did.
Bold Member!
No way! Once a wild animal has attacked a human it needs to be put down.

Staff online