• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!

The reason for her ouster is far more stimulating than any sermon this pastor could have delivered.

The Rev. Dr. Amy Butler, the first woman to lead Manhattan’s famed Riverside Church, lost her lofty post amid complaints that she brought ministers and a congregant on a sex toy shopping spree and then gave one of them an unwanted vibrator as a birthday gift, The Post has learned.

On May 15, Butler allegedly took two Riverside assistant ministers and a female congregant to a sex shop in Minneapolis called the Smitten Kitten, during a religious conference, according to sources familiar with the out-of-town shopping excursion.

At the store, the pastor bought a $200 bunny-shaped blue vibrator called a Beaded Rabbit for one minister — a single mom of two who was celebrating her 40th birthday — as well as more pleasure gadgets for the congregant and herself, sources said.

Full Story:
https://nypost.com/2019/07/11/pastor-out-at-famed-riverside-church-after-sex-toy-harassment-accusations/

Technically any form of sexual activity, including masturbation and even fantasy, is forbidden in literal interpretations of the Bible outside of marriage between a man and a woman so a pastor of such a well known church was flirting with trouble doing this. I mean, I'm sure most Christians probably don't stick to that but it sounds like she picked someone who got on their high horse and blew her in.
Post automatically merged:

Also, church politics:

Dr. Butler’s supporters said she lost her job because she had spoken out about sexual harassment and she had complained in particular about an incident in which a former member of the church’s governing council left a bottle of wine and a T-shirt on her desk, both with labels that read “Sweet Bitch.”
They said she had pursued better treatment for women and minorities, with the aim of fixing a difficult environment that had led some church employees to complain and even quit. Her persistence strained an increasingly fractured relationship between her and the church’s lay leaders, her supporters said.
[...]
But her opponents said her dismissal was being misconstrued, and pointed to the governing council’s significant misgivings about changes she made to the church staff and programming and spending priorities. Her philosophy and leadership style, they said, collided with a church whose culture remained deeply traditional, despite its politics.

We left/were edged out of our last church because of the politics and stance on LGBT. Church politics is bullshit.

Last edited:
What gets me is these assistant pastors are probably people who could help church members who may ask for advice about inappropriate job behavior in their own lives. Apparently the answer is "If you are uncomfortable just protest weakly and go along with it. Accept unwelcome gifts. Then go behind the aggressors back and report them in a group, because standing up for yourself immediately on the spot is hard."

If I was at a work conference and my boss said "let's go to the sex toy shop, expand your horizons". I would say, "Not on work time." Any time spent with coworkers, especially bosses, on a business trip is still work time. (I've been on a lot of business trips. ) And if the boss gave me a sex toy gift, I would hand it back in front of my coworkers.

Laughing at so much detail:
the pastor bought a $200 bunny-shaped blue vibrator called a
Beaded Rabbit for one minister — a single mom of two who was celebrating her 40th birthday

Any kind of $200 personal gift from boss to employee is inappropriate.

Last edited:
Her persistence strained an increasingly fractured relationship between her and the church’s lay leaders, her supporters said.
Yeah, persistence. Seems she chose an all out assault on prudery by compelling her weaklings to visit a sex shop and embrace the Masturbation Community even if they didn't want to go there during a business trip with their boss.
If it was a male pastor, the response would be all about the patriarchy forcing opinions. But when a woman does the same thing, people make excuses. Double standard!

I'm all about being an iconoclast and pushing prudes with a sense of humor without pummeling or intimidating wussy people .... Let them deal with that shit on their own terms.
I'm an accountant, not a minister type. These people are all about their church hierarchy and drama. Let them shoe-horn it into political correctness, I don't care. They can settle that bullshit on their own.

Last edited:
That church isn't so famous.
I never heard of it until now.

As for the sex toy purchases.
They were just in really poor taste.
If she wanted to make a statement, give them bottles of lube and crowbar. Then tell them to get the sticks out of their asses.

Result would be the same...fired but funny as hell.

Last edited:
Back