• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Jaded

Staff member
2po33ev.jpg

The 18-year-old man charged with shooting his 14-year-old girlfriend in the basement of his mother's rowhouse earlier this week told police that the killing was "a mistake," police charging documents say.

Charles Jakes, of the 1900 block of N. Patterson Park Ave., was charged yesterday with first-degree murder, assault and handgun violations in connection with the slaying of Shawndreta Griffin, a police spokeswoman said. Police charging documents said the girl was shot in the head and found lying in bed.

Jakes was also shot in his right thumb and, after police and paramedics arrived, he was transported by ambulance to Union Memorial Hospital.

While at the hospital, the charging documents say he told a police officer: "It was a mistake. I didn't mean to kill Shorty."

At the time of the shooting, Jakes' mother and another woman were in the house. Three small children were also sleeping on the third floor, charging documents say.

Earlier this month, Jakes was placed on three years' supervised probation as part of his conviction in other crimes. On April 2, he pleaded guilty to charges of burglary and second-degree assault, and other charges -- including possession of a knife on school grounds -- were dropped as part of his plea, court records show.

A judge sentenced him to five years in prison, suspended the entire sentence, and then placed him on probation.

Two weeks later, he was arrested and charged in Shawndreta's death.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_city/bal-griffin0416,0,2783907.story

well thank god he got a suspended sentence....without that he may have had no future....oh wait, nevermind

"Shorty" is a nickname i've run across on Myspace a lot for smallish girls who are hanging out with bad boys. Go to Myspace and enter "Shorty" as a display name search, and seriously, 500 pages, which is the maximum their searches will post. Not even kidding.

So, it competes with "Baby Girl" (and spelling variations)?

I guess. I just noticed it was one of the nicknames that I always seem to run across when I'm researching.

According to urbandictionary, shorty is:

"affectionate term for a girlfriend, attractive female or concubine."

Apparently I need to get out more.

I don't ever remember being in the running to be someone's concubine. Girls today have so many options.

A 19-year-old East Baltimore man was sentenced yesterday to 25 years in prison for executing his 14-year-old girlfriend, whom he had known for only a few weeks, by shooting her in her right temple at close range.
During the emotional hearing, in which Charles Jakes pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and a gun charge, the victim's mother pounded her fists on a bench and screamed at the defendant: "Nothing you say will bring my child back. ... Read the Bible. You reap what you sow."
Baltimore parking garage reopens after vehicle exploded with acetylene tanks and other chemicals inside, injuring 2

Jakes apologized to Shaundretta Griffin's family but his face conveyed no emotion. "It was a mistake from the beginning," he said, craning his neck around to speak directly to the victim's family. "I didn't know she was 14 or anything like that."
Jakes had just gotten out of jail less than three weeks earlier and met Griffin, a seventh-grader at Booker T. Washington Middle School, through a mutual friend, her father, Thomas Streams, said. His daughter, he said, quickly fell in love with Jakes.
The night before the April 2008 murder, Griffin sneaked out of her house and spent the night in his bed in the basement of his mother's home, according to an April 2008 Sun article.

After his mother heard a single gunshot from the basement, Jakes told her, "I think I killed her," according to prosecutor Charles Blomquist.

Jakes was on probation for burglary and second-degree assault at the time of the murder.
Upon Jakes' release from prison, he will be on probation for five years. If he violates probation, he could serve up to 50 years in prison for the crime.
1659209005809.png
1659209054764.png

Back