• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
[....]
The part-time worker was arrested Thursday for stealing credit card details to buy $2,600 (270,000 Japanese yen) worth of bags from online shopping sites last March, according to the Tokyo Metropolitan Police.

A police source familiar with the investigation told CNN that the man, who worked at a shopping mall in Koto ward, had allegedly memorized customers' credit card information while processing their orders -- then recalled the credit card details later to shop online.

The suspect has a photographic memory and police have found a notebook with card details listed in it, said the source working on the investigation.

He has been in police custody for six days, police say. Japanese investigators can hold any arrested suspect for up to 20 days before they are charged. It is unclear if he has hired an attorney.

A crime committed only with the help of a photographic memory would be one of Japan's more unique cases of credit card theft -- but certainly not the biggest. In 2016, a group of thieves used about 1,600 forged cards to withdraw money from 1,400 cash machines across Japan. In just over two hours, they stole $13 million.

When I was a teenager working for 7-Eleven, I had a customer come in and buy a soda and a jerky stick everyday before work. The magnetic strip on his card went out, and after a month or so of suggesting he get the card fixed (As I was having to manually enter the # every time) he just shrugged; He came in one day and while filling up his soda, i had no one in line so i just put in his order, and from muscle memory entered his card # and by the time he got to the counter i had his receipt waiting for him. He was stunned when he wanted assurance I didn't need his card, I told him I had put that # in so many times, I didn't need it anymore ;)

needless I didn't see him for a couple weeks, when he finally started returning he had a new card!

needless I didn't see him for a couple weeks, when he finally started returning he had a new card!
I’ve been divorced over 10 years and I still remember my ex’s social security # plus other important info. He demanded that I ‘forget’ it. :rolleyes: I told him as long as he paid child support regularly, there wouldn’t be a problem.

He’s always been prompt.

I remember the most useless information. My wife's roommate in college always insisted she was just a number to the school. Back in the dark ages of the late 80's-early 90's your social security was more often than not used as your student ID. 30 years later I still remember her SSN and have her date of birth. Unfortunately for me, her first husband screwed up her credit so bad (getting student loans in her name and taking the money among other things) that she's still working her way out of it. To make matters worse, she's responsible for those student loans, and we know how easily those go away....

"...stealing credit card details to buy $2,600 (270,000 Japanese yen) worth of bags from online shopping sites..."

Bags? What kind of bags? That's handbags, right? Not colostomy bags, douche bags, paper bags, plastic bags, vomit bags, etc? Ok, I'm leaving now...

Back