• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
Judge refuses to reduce Parnell’s bond
Mother accused of suffocating newborn infant remains jailed
293a9le.jpg

Casey Parnell is led in to the Jackson County Courthouse for a hearing on Friday, Jan. 4, in Murphysboro​
Jan 5 2013
MURPHYSBORO — Jackson County Circuit Judge W. Charles Grace denied a motion Friday to reduce bond for a 25-year-old Du Quoin woman accused of suffocating her newborn infant in a trash bag after giving birth to him Jan. 22, 2011, in a bathroom somewhere in Carbondale.

Casey M. Parnell is charged with involuntary manslaughter, concealment of a homicidal death and concealment of a death.

She is being held in Jackson County jail on in lieu of $750,000 bond. Public defender Peggy Degan requested during a Friday court hearing to reduce bond to $2,000 stating Parnell’s family could only raise about $200 for her release.

“I don’t think she’s a flight risk,â€￾ Degan told Grace who replied that he had to take into account the circumstances of an infant in-volved in the case.

Jackson County state’s attorney Michael Carr argued Parnell has a criminal history with charges indicating she has a severe crack cocaine addiction.

A driving under the influence charge reduced to reckless driving resulted in a one-year probation sentence. While meeting with her probation officer in July 2011, the defendant fainted, was taken to the hospital where tests indicated she was pregnant, Carr told the court.

A few months later, she was arrested on possession of a controlled substance charge that was later reduced to possession of drug paraphernalia.

Degan argued her client got outpatient drug counseling at a Perry County treatment center in Du Quoin.

Other information surfaced in exchanges between Degan, Carr and Grace such as Degan saying her client had notified the police department initially. That was countered by Carr saying Parnell waited six hours after suffocating her newborn to notify law au-thorities and only after her roommate said she would do so unless Parnell took action.

Degan said alleged witness testimony that was surfacing during the exchanges was fraught with lies that discern much of witness testimony in criminal cases, prompting her to say out loud, “We are going to have mini-trial right now.â€￾

Grace replied there would be no mini-trial and his decision was to deny the bond reduction request. Grace ordered a 1 p.m. Feb. 25 status hearing.

[....]
Count 1 of the indictment, involuntary manslaughter of a newborn child, states Parnell acted recklessly in unintentionally killing the newborn when she gave birth to him into a toilet, picked him up and wrapped him in towels and then placed him into a trash bag which resulted in asphyxiation.

Count 2 alleges Parnell concealed the newborn’s death with knowledge he had died by homicidal means. Count 3 alleges she knowingly moved the body of a dead person from the place of death with intent to conceal information regarding the place and manner of his death.
Illinois woman who gave birth in toilet during party pleads guilty
March 27, 2013
Murphysboro, Ill. -- A Du Quoin woman faces up to five years in prison in the January 2011 death of her infant child, according to a press release from the office of Jackson County State’s Attorney Michael Carr.State’s Attorney Carr says Casey Parnell, 26, admitted giving birth to the the baby, which she thought was deceased, into a toilet while at a party in the 700 block of Sycamore Street in Carbondale, The party took place Jan. 20, 2011, Carr said.

Parnell did not attempt life-saving measures or seek medical treatment, said Carr. The baby died of hypoxia, which is a lack of oxygen, according to a forensic pathologist’s report. Parnell was arrested Dec. 6, 2012, after a Jackson County grand jury handed down an indictment. She was charged with involuntary manslaughter, concealing a homicidal death and concealing the death of a person.

Parnell entered her plea at a pre-trail hearing at the courthouse.
[...]
http://www.duquoin.com/article/20130327/NEWS/130329172

I was watching The Baby Story earlier, cried when the baby being born (shhh, I'm sensitive...) then I came upon to this. Like Tundratot says, BITCH.

Involuntary manslaughter? I accidentally threw out a perfectly good slice of pizza before to my great dismay, but never a baby. Or is it that she thought the baby would thrive in a trash can?

Back