• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

SoUncool

With my all by myself...
Housing Official's Bumper Sticker Draws Ire

264lyzb.jpg

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/16726158/detail.html

CECIL COUNTY, Md. -- A Maryland housing official is coming under fire for a bumper sticker that takes a derogatory shot at poor families.

Dave Mahanney, who runs Cecil County's Housing Authority, has a bumper sticker on his car that reads "Can't Feed 'Em? Don't Breed 'Em."

"He's the director, driving around with this bumper sticker saying if you can't feed them, don't breed them?" said Niakkia Battle, a mother of five. "Am I supposed to be sorry that I had my children? I love my children."

Battle told 11 News she will be evicted from Housing and Urban Development's Section 8 program. She has a friend babysit her kids when she's in her nursing class.

"Because of an assumption that I had an unauthorized person living with me they, Section 8, terminated my assistance," she told 11 News reporter John Sherman.

Confronted about the bumper sticker, Mahanney said he would not comment.

Sherman: "Your bumper sticker says, 'Can't feed 'em, Don't breed 'em. A lot of the people you deal with did just that. Naikkia Battle said she was offended by that. Could you understand why?"

Mahanney: "I don't do interviews."

The Disability Law Center has asked in five different ways for an expanation of Mahanney's actions, Sherman reported, and hasn't had a call returned. When Sherman asked Mahanney about that, Mahanney again replied that he doesn't do interviews.

What the fuck ever happened to freedom of speech.

"You have the right to do what we tell you, you have the right to do what we tell you." -Bill Hicks [on the government]

Fuck! I want one!

OMG OMG OMG! I want one,.... okay a little torn, because in all seriousness.

While I can see that perhaps at the time of conception/birth and maybe for a few years things were great... but now in the economy its becoming a problem and people are falling under the poverty level when just a year ago they had a $100,000 a year job... So I can see the problem a little. Things change... and many of us are just a paycheck or so away from being in the Section 8 program ourselves.

I'd say probably due to all that this person has seen, it has made him take this stance. Knowingly, having a child you can't feed, it just is not fair for the child. I don't think his position is trying to make someone who already has children feel bad, but to make someone think first before they bring another child into this world into poverty. Would it be better if his sticker said "Make tons of babies, don't worry about their food the state will pay for it."?
He has a right to put whatever he wants on his car.

I'd say probably due to all that this person has seen, it has made him take this stance. Knowingly, having a child you can't feed, it just is not fair for the child. I don't think his position is trying to make someone who already has children feel bad, but to make someone think first before they bring another child into this world into poverty. Would it be better if his sticker said "Make tons of babies, don't worry about their food the state will pay for it."?
He has a right to put whatever he wants on his car.

I agree with that, just didn't want people judging poorer people who didn't start off in that situation in life ya know? I see it a lot at work, people who were well off, not renting and living off state aid.

I agree with that, just didn't want people judging poorer people who didn't start off in that situation in life ya know? I see it a lot at work, people who were well off, not renting and living off state aid.

I see a lot of it too...and I used to be on aid, btw. I wasn't working, and daughter's father refused to pay child support, so I had to get help from some where. As soon as I found a job, I went off aid. The twatwaffle living in the same apartment building as me, had a child, was using her friend's section 8 (had her apartment rented in her friend's name) so she wouldn't have to pay for rent, and SHE worked for the state. She also whored herself out to any old guy that could get it up for her for five minutes, then demand they pay her. I saw some of the guys she brought home.. made my skin crawl up my back. When I moved out she stole my support check out of MY mailbox (the mailboxes were in one area grouped together by apartments (she broke the lock on the mailbox) ) and sent it to my caseworker, trying to get me into trouble. My caseworker called me and let me know she had the check and I could come pick it up. She asked me why this woman thought it was any of her business.. and I told her, I didn't know.. she needs to mind her own backyard before minding mine. I told her about the section 8 housing fraud and her bringing all these strange guys home.

Needless to say, I got a phone call from the apartment manager inquiring as to my involvement in the visit from CPS and subsequent removal of the child from the home. *shrugs* I didn't call CPS..I should've, but I didn't. Oh, and she lost her apartment, and I heard later, she also lost her job.

Anyway, I'd see people roll up into social services in new digs, new car, sportin' top of the line gear.. hair and nails all done to the nines, new cellphone, new gameboy or what have you..and they'd yell at the social worker if their check was five minutes late.. wtf?

~ceisdsgil

these are my thoughts.. if you don't like 'em.. tough, put on your big girl panties and learn to deal with it.

I wasn't on Section 8, but with my first daughter we went onto WIC. My hubby was a private at the time, and currently going through the re-enlistment when he finished West Point...so naturally, we were getting paid CRAP for at least a year until it all settled itself out. I believe it was around $15,000 a year? It was honestly like living poor...I had to do the whole thrift shop, "how much can a dollar last us" thing until they fixed his paperwork.

I agree with the bumper sticker. I think this applies to people like my neighbor - she has 10 kids, doesn't work...gets child support from multiple men, money from the gov., AND is on WIC. She has openly admitted that she wants even more kids because it brings in a bigger pay check. I think this is disgusting (and when I move out, I'm going to report her to the state). Some people ONLY have kids to get that extra cash.

In my opinion, as I've always thought, if you can't financially support your child (to me being on WIC isn't so bad, cause those people are jerks to deal with around here) - then you need to use protection. If you are as bad as my neighbor, then stop using my tax money.

However, with the economy lately...I do completely understand that a lot of people are having money issues. My main concern isn't the people that have worked hard all their lives etc. My issue is with the people that REFUSE to work and REFUSE to stop taking tax money.

Edit: Ceisdsgil put it extremely well..brand new cars, new clothes, new nails...and they are taking money from the state? I HATE those types of people. If you have enough money to get your nails done every week, then you have enough to get the hell off Section 8/Wic/whatever else.

Last edited:
OMG OMG OMG! I want one,.... okay a little torn, because in all seriousness.

While I can see that perhaps at the time of conception/birth and maybe for a few years things were great... but now in the economy its becoming a problem and people are falling under the poverty level when just a year ago they had a $100,000 a year job... So I can see the problem a little. Things change... and many of us are just a paycheck or so away from being in the Section 8 program ourselves.

LOL, my husband is a Supervisor for the section 8 program here...I guess i get first dibs if we need it in the future! I'll barter a gallon of gas or milk!:biggrin1:

I have never been on Section 8. I always saw it for people less fortunate than me. I can live on $500 a month. I am magical. It comes from always being poor. I do not get my hair or nails done, I sold my car to pay my rent, I go to Goodwill alot. I also want to smack the crap outta girls that take full advantage of the system. I have seen these girls use other peoples kids socials to get more benefits. That is disgraceful. They say it doesn't matter, I mean, it's free right? They are so damn dumb they can't figure out nothing is free. While I can't even afford to go to the dentist. Bitches.

Anyway, the thing I don't like about these bumper stickers is they are mean spirited. They don't say that they only mean the slackers who sit on state aid, knowing they can't afford their kids. I don't like mean spirited vague insults. It is the kind of thing that makes me eat once a day instead of asking for help. Who wants to beg for help from someone who looks down on you?

Anyway, the thing I don't like about these bumper stickers is they are mean spirited. They don't say that they only mean the slackers who sit on state aid, knowing they can't afford their kids. I don't like mean spirited vague insults. It is the kind of thing that makes me eat once a day instead of asking for help. Who wants to beg for help from someone who looks down on you?

I have to agree with you on this. Government social support systems and their workers are really almost as disgusting as the people who abuse the system. I am at the point that I don't even want to call child support when I should be (because the ex is trying to pay 10% of his required child support a month again...). I get an attitude like its my fault my ex doesn't pay. As though i should be able to beat the sense into him or something and bother them. I've even filed complaints about it.

I know what you guys are saying about the abuse though. I was on and off state aid, I had to be and I hated it. I haven't needed it in years, but still (and Section 8's waiting list started at 6 months to 3 years... by then I was back on my feet, so never got that aid). Anyhow I had a girl tell me once that she was going to start drawing dollar signs on her kid because of the money he earned her. It was disgusting to me... even more so that she got the benefits and the child lived with her parents since he was 10 days old! (She had just dropped him off one day... she had never even told her parents she was pregnant... at all.... they never knew about their grandson till that day).

Last edited:
I have never been on Section 8. I always saw it for people less fortunate than me. I can live on $500 a month. I am magical. It comes from always being poor. I do not get my hair or nails done, I sold my car to pay my rent, I go to Goodwill alot. I also want to smack the crap outta girls that take full advantage of the system. I have seen these girls use other peoples kids socials to get more benefits. That is disgraceful. They say it doesn't matter, I mean, it's free right? They are so damn dumb they can't figure out nothing is free. While I can't even afford to go to the dentist. Bitches.

You are so cute and proud Nell...I internet lurve you! Oh, and TrashCat too...

Yeah but this ain't England Euroman!

So, IS HE foreign, or not? I posted a profile comment on his page to that end, but, apparently, we're not on speaking terms any longer.

As for the bumper sticker - I think most reasonable people will differentiate between the parent who fell on bad times and was forced to accept temporary assistance and the parent who was never financially stable and breeds out of irresponsibility and carelessness.

So, IS HE foreign, or not? I posted a profile comment on his page to that end, but, apparently, we're not on speaking terms any longer.

As for the bumper sticker - I think most reasonable people will differentiate between the parent who fell on bad times and was forced to accept temporary assistance and the parent who was never financially stable and breeds out of irresponsibility and carelessness.

Sadly that isn't true. I have heard some of the most hateful things, even when I was married and we had plenty of money. I have had people tell me to get my tubes tied without knowing a thing about me. Just that my first daughter wasn't blond haired and blue eyed like her brothers so I must be breeding outta control. And I hear more stories like that then stories of understanding and giving benefit of the doubt. But maybe most just aren't as reasonable as you Athena.

edit- I really mean that last line. It reads kinda snotty, but I am very sincere.

And did you check Petes page? He replies on his own page instead of yours. I think he did answer you kinda. In the weird way he has of answering anything.:bounce:

The problem is when some parents have kids, they have the money to feed them, then they lose jobs because of the company shutting down then you end up with no way to feed the kids. I know because I have been here before and it isn't a very good feeling knowing that you can't feed your own kids. I had two kids at the time with one on the way and no one would hire me in my condition after the company that I worked for shut down. I then found some families that needed child care and started watching kids to make money to pay my bills and feed my kids. I was just lucky that some families paid me first.

I agree, especially considering what the guy does for a living. Sheesh, I am all for free speech but come on, show a little tact. And it also lumps all individuals into the same category. I mean, what do you do if the kids are already here and then you end up poor?

Imagine this:

"Well, your Honor, after I lost my job and couldn't afford to feed my kids, I offed 'em. Seemed like the logical thing to do."

It's one thing to go on public assistance in a crisis. It's quite another to continue to have children after getting on the rolls. I think there should be no payments made for children born after a person begins to get public assistance money. Three kids -- payments for three kids only-- no money for the next ones. Contraception is not hard to get, isn't all that expensive, and there's always keeping your legs crossed, which is free.

It's one thing to go on public assistance in a crisis. It's quite another to continue to have children after getting on the rolls. I think there should be no payments made for children born after a person begins to get public assistance money. Three kids -- payments for three kids only-- no money for the next ones. Contraception is not hard to get, isn't all that expensive, and there's always keeping your legs crossed, which is free.

See, this is kinda what I meant. I know you Wrybread, and I know you didn't mean that to sound hateful, but it kinda did. No birth control is 100% and you will never know someones whole story unless you ask them. I asked my Doctor to tie my tubes after my 4th baby. I signed the paperwork. Then I was transfered to a Catholic hospital and had a catholic doctor. In the middle of my c-section he told me he would not be tying my tubes, that i was too young to make that decision (fyi, I was 27) and that I could have it done later. He just refused. So my husband got a vasectomy. See how responsible we are? I got divorced. I hooked up with my boyfriend. He had been told since high school he had such a low sperm count he couldn't have kids. I talked to his mom, I saw the papers from the Dr. Guess what? I am due with his child in 4 weeks. I did not want to have another baby right now, if ever. I cannott afford it. I am too old in my opinion. I have been doing this for years now, and I am tired! But it did happen. What was I supposed to do? Have an abortion? Give up the only child he will probably have to adoption? You can never know what someones unique circumstances are. You just can't...

I do know that all the mean comments do is make me suck it up a little bit more. To refuse help that is offered. To not ever go into welfare. To eat once a day(yes, I do that)instead of taking handouts. To cry by myself. It is not helpful to shame people that are trying, and unless you ask you will not know.

Back