• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
1565746724599.png

Between this and the baby ducks...it's a shit day to be a bird :(
A California man has been arrested on suspicion of deliberately running over and killing two wild peacocks in northwest Los Angeles last month, police said.

Floyd Belton, 61, turned himself in on Tuesday and is facing two counts of animal cruelty, KABC-TV reported, citing the L.A. County sheriff’s Lost Hills station as its source.

Police began looking for the suspect after surveillance footage surfaced. The incident wasn’t caught a camera, but a witness told police she saw the driver hit the birds moments later, according to the station.

Residents of the Chatsworth Lake Manor community – about 45 miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles – alleged that the driver of a silver pickup truck intentionally hit the birds on a road.

I always wanted a few peacocks. Love their call. I don't think the neighbors would like it though. Peacock calls are like bagpipes or accordions: people either love it or hate it.
When I was 12 and we first moved into this house, the farm across the road had peacocks. Every night as the sun started to set, they would start screaming. To me, it sounded just like a woman yelling for help. I kept begging my dad to go do something.
He drove me over there the next day and showed me the birds.i got to pick up feathers. From that day forward, I loved them.

There are wild peacocks in California?
Peafowl like to have a large territory so will roam and easily become semi feral. . I have two neighbors with lots of acreage who have had them for decades, and they roost high up in trees, are not pets at all, but not afraid of humans. They are as tough and smart as wild turkeys. Peafowl are very good at avoiding predators. They eat anything and poop hugely so it's good they like to roam the acreage.

A 61-year-old man accused of killing two peacocks in Chatsworth by intentionally running them over with his pickup truck will spend one day in jail after pleading no contest to charges in the case, prosecutors said.
Belton received a sentence of three years of summary probation, a DA’s news release stated.

The terms include spending one day in jail, a 10-year ban on owning animals with the exception of his dog and completing 48 sessions of animal abuse counseling. He’s also been ordered to donate $1,000 to the Pasadena Humane Society, and do 45 days of work for Caltrans or make an additional donation of $3,600.

Belton was initially charged with two counts of animal cruelty with a special allegation that he used a vehicle as a deadly and dangerous weapon.

We don't really have any wild peacocks in my section of Georgia, but there is a neighborhood in my town that has or had about 50 of them. Nobody is sure where they come from, tho it's pretty certain that somebody relocated them there at some time in past 50 so years.

I want to say that the neighborhood finally got enough people to agree to have them rehomed. They are loud, noisy, and poop a whole lot, which is not so bad if they are not sitting in a tree above you. They would run at you when you were outside. like a rooster defending his hens, they could hurt a kid if they jumped on them.

The property they were on includes a cemetery, can you imagine a peacock screaming at dusk in a cemetery? Behind the cemetery, a castle, built to look like it's crumbling into ruins. People love to take pictures there, but it is private property, so only by appointment.

Back