• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

everjaded

ಠ_ಠ
Bold Member!
caitlin powell_1525904683582.jpg_42161167_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Take a lil morphine, do several shots, drive your kids home, proceed to pass out in an unsecured home with a death trap in the back yard. No big deal. :bored:

The mother of a toddler who drowned in a pool in March was jailed in connection with her death on Tuesday.
Online records show Caitlin Powell, 30, of Lutz was arrested and charged with aggravated manslaughter. She was booked into the Orient Road Jail and released on a $15,000 bond.
According to an arrest report, Powell was asleep when her 3-year-old daughter Jasmine slipped through an unlocked sliding door and fell into an algae-filled pool where she later died.
Around 9:45 p.m. on March 10, Powell, who is a bartender, arrived at her place of employment and took one 15 milligram pill of morphine, prescribed by her doctor. Two hours later she took another half pill. She also drank four to five shots of Bailey’s Irish Cream and butterscotch liqueur.
Around 2:40 a.m., she picked her two children up from a friend's house and drove to her home in the 17500 block of Willow Pond Drive and put the children to sleep. Powell woke up twice to use the restroom and change Jasmine's diapers.
Around 12:15 p.m., Powell was awoken by one of her children who informed her Jasmine was in the pool. An hour later, the child was pronounced dead at Florida Hospital Tampa.
According to the report, the pool was heavily ridden with green algae and it was hard to see past the first step.
Investigators suspect Powell was aware the sliding doors that led to the pool did not lock properly and that a safety pin that binds the doors together had been missing for a couple of weeks, the report claims. The bar she had used to secure the door was later found in the backyard under a shovel.
The front of the pool was fenced in, but investigators found a gap in the fence that was blocked by a lightweight metal cage and a plastic pet cage.
The other child told detectives the toddler had pushed through the metal cage and carrier, then walked around the pool and fell into the water.
"By the defendant’s own statement, the children were unsupervised for four and a half hours," the report says.

Link

Parents have to sleep sometime! It was night, she checked the children twice, she should have been safe to sleep :(

Why on earth was a doctor prescribing morphine to her?

She could have had a legit reason for it. It's a very cheap pain reliever, and doesn't seem to be as popular to abuse as some of the other pain pills out there.

The bigger question for me is why on earth she was drinking while taking them, and then driving around/being responsible for child care afterwards.

Parents have to sleep sometime! It was night, she checked the children twice, she should have been safe to sleep :(
Umm no. No no no.
She should have never closed her eyes because of this.
According to the report, the pool was heavily ridden with green algae and it was hard to see past the first step.
Investigators suspect Powell was aware the sliding doors that led to the pool did not lock properly and that a safety pin that binds the doors together had been missing for a couple of weeks, the report claims. The bar she had used to secure the door was later found in the backyard under a shovel.
The front of the pool was fenced in, but investigators found a gap in the fence that was blocked by a lightweight metal cage and a plastic pet cage.
Let me guess, you're a friend or relative if this druggie. Yes, I call her a druggie because she mixed alcohol with her medication.
Don't come in here and tard defend this loser.
It's 100% her fault that baby is dead and her other child is now traumatized.

So fuck off.

It's absolutely true that parents have to sleep sometime. Generally that sleep is grabbed when the child is sleeping all tucked up in their bed, doors locked and any other child precautions needed in place.

Another absolute truth is that this 3 year old angels tragic death was entirely avoidable if even a modicum of safety and care had been applied.

Umm no. No no no.
She should have never closed her eyes because of this.

Let me guess, you're a friend or relative if this druggie. Yes, I call her a druggie because she mixed alcohol with her medication.
Don't come in here and tard defend this loser.
It's 100% her fault that baby is dead and her other child is now traumatized.

So fuck off.

Excuse you. I am a long-time DD reader, mostly lurker, who only recently began to comment. I have no connection to any of the people in any of these articles. I am a mother of two, one with exceptional Special Needs. Sometimes my daughter goes as long as 38 hours without sleeping. I simply read the article, from my own point of reference, and made a comment. Parents have to sleep sometime!

Thank you for the warm DD welcome.

Excuse you. I am a long-time DD reader, mostly lurker, who only recently began to comment. I have no connection to any of the people in any of these articles. I am a mother of two, one with exceptional Special Needs. Sometimes my daughter goes as long as 38 hours without sleeping. I simply read the article, from my own point of reference, and made a comment. Parents have to sleep sometime!

Welcome to DD. .

Yes, parents have to sleep.
More so when they mix alcohol and pain killers.

Obviously no one was swimming in the pool. So why leave it full of water to be an attractive death trap.

Welcome.

I agree and I would have felt bad for her, but she knowingly got wasted. Even if the prescription was legit, that’s a lot of alcohol to mix with it. She knew that her actions could have terrible consequences. Every parent makes a bad call, but this was just reckless. Just my opinion, no hostilities

Even if the prescription was legit, that’s a lot of alcohol to mix with it.

That's what gets me. Mixing painkillers and alcohol is not a great idea.. and then she drove to a friends house, at 2:40am, to pick up her kids? What? Why?!

Curious to know if the "friend" was pressuring her to come get them, or if the morphine and candy booze was a half-assed suicide attempt which compelled her to gather her kids in remorse?

There seems to be no reason why she couldn't have slept off her bad decisions and THEN collected her kids.

Or, you know, found a way to drain or cover that dumb pool. Toddlers and open water aren't a good combination.

Nope it don't work that way ..kids comes first .she needs to get up early to feed them etc....you don't just sleep and leave your kids unattended..

Sorry your wrong ..she should change jobs
Get sleep when they are being cared for by another adult ..
This whole shit about parents needing sleep ya they do But first and foremost her job is taking care of the child's needs
This bitch like being a bar fly and druggie
Fuck her ..she can now sleep in prison
Fat cunt to lazy to get up in am yo tend to her children's needs What a cunt of a mother

Jazmine Victoria Neal
January 31, 2015 - March 11, 2018

I am Jazzy's mom. My better judgement tells me not to reply to this article, but my heart tells me to do so. I see many people are criticizing me for being a mom whose little girl accidentally drown in the family pool. I know I am opening myself up for more torment, but I feel that people need to know I am a good person, I love my children with every breath I take. Jazzy was my youngest and I would do anything to have her back. For you all to shame me for being a single mom who was doing her best to provide for my 4 children, I can’t argue only try to share with you my love and my dedication to my children. They are my life. Jazzy is missed every minute of the day.

I am not a druggie nor an alcoholic as someone mentioned. I ONLY take medication prescribed to me. Twist it anyway you want, your words hurt, they will not bring my baby back. I will live with this everyday of my life. I would trade my life to bring Jazzy back but that isn’t possible. I must live for my other children and try to find the inner strength to be there for them. For those of you who are not condemning me I thank you. Please know that the media does not give ALL the details, nor do they have all the facts. Out of respect and for my protection I will not elaborate on facts of the case.

1675975214066.png

Name:POWELL, CAITLIN J
Current Release Date: 03/22/2028

Current Prison Sentence History:​

Offense DateOffenseSentence DateCountyCase No.Prison Sentence Length
03/10/2018 AGG.MANSL.-CHILD 10/31/2018HILLSBOROUGH180635610Y 0M 0D

Yes, parents have to sleep.
More so when they mix alcohol and pain killers.

Obviously no one was swimming in the pool. So why leave it full of water to be an attractive death trap.

Welcome.
I have an extremely large above ground pool and a small child. I don't drain my pool over the winter. I also like to drink. What I do to negate risk is take the ladder out. The pool is too tall for a child to climb and the ladder is hard for an adult to move. I can't imagine just leaving a potential death trap waiting to snag any ol child curious enough to try.

Back