• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Keepalowprofile

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/zoo-accused-of-painting-donkeys-to-look-like-zebras/

An Egyptian zoo is insisting it did not paint a pair of donkeys to look like zebras.

Cairo's International Garden municipal park became a target of ridicule after an Egyptian student, Mahmoud Sarhan, posted images on Facebook of the suspicious beast. Sarhan said that the zoo's two zebras were obviously painted donkeys, a view that has since been embraced by online animal experts.

However, zoo director Mohamed Sultan told a local radio station that his zebras are real, dismissing claims that they are just painted donkeys, according to the BBC.

This is not the first time that a zoo has painted donkeys to look like zebras. In 2009, a zoo in Gaza did the same thing, saying that it could not procure real zebras due to an Israeli blockade.

"The first time we used paint but it didn't look good," the zoo's proprietor told Reuters at the time. "The children don't know, so they call them zebras and they are happy to see something new."

In 2013, a Chinese zoo was criticized for trying to pass off a large dog as a lion. "The zoo is absolutely trying to cheat us," one visitor told Chinese media. "They are trying to disguise dogs as lions."

Zebras and donkeys, despite both bearing a resemblance to horses, are different species. Donkeys are popular beasts of burden in developing countries and were domesticated millennia ago. Zebras, meanwhile, are primarily known for their black-and-white stripes.

Zebras also have black snouts, according to one expert. They are also larger and less donkey-like than the animal in the viral photo, and do not have smudged stripes.
What a bunch of asses.

Last edited:
Another reason to hate zoos. These are fellow creatures, you idiots, not something to exploit and dress up to suit your warped agenda.

It would have worked too if that pesky donkey hadn't rubbed on the fence and smeared the paint!
Next time, use black hair dye and stencils.
That's actually a lucky donkey. It could be hauling loads on dusty roads.

It would have worked too if that pesky donkey hadn't rubbed on the fence and smeared the paint!
Next time, use black hair dye and stencils.
That's actually a lucky donkey. It could be hauling loads on dusty roads.
Agree, and if that is the enclosure they were intending to put a zebra in, seems to be a blessing all around.

In my youthful ignorance growing up in a small lumber town with no exposure to African Americans I once asked my mom what would happen if a black person and a white person had a kid together. Would they be spotted black and white or would they have stripes.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/l...al-zonkey-living-in-north-texas/287-578849427
ARGYLE — After a post poking fun at a possibly fake donkey overseas went viral, we learned that actual Zonkeys do exist, and they're here in North Texas.

Something about their strength and beauty drew Shishana Rourke to horses. It’s usually food that draws them to her when she's working at her stable in Argyle. She has years of experience in equine training, so we wanted to get Rourke's take on this post that flew all over the internet this weekend. A man at a roadside zoo in Egypt, posted the Zebra that didn’t look quite right. It's stripes looked smudged. More like a donkey…with a paint job.

"I thought it was hilarious," said Rourke. "I mean, at least get livestock paint or something that’s not going to go anywhere...but I promise he’s not painted!

The he she is speaking of is an actual Zonkey. Yes, they actually exist! Rourke is in her first week of ownership of Codee, son of a zebra stallion and donkey jenny.

"Codee is short for barcode," she laughed.

Zonkey's are rare, since they can’t reproduce, and when Rourke saw Codee for sale she jumped at the challenge.

"His personality is extremely strong," she said, blaming it on the Zebra influence. "You know if he doesn’t want to do something he’s going to let you know right away.
[....]
Codee's just three months old, and he's already popular. For now, fans can visit him on his Facebook page. Rourke promises with time, she'll get him trained to meet other curious animal lovers.

"My goal with him is to eventually teach him to ride," she said.

At that point, you'll be able to see in person proof that his stripes don't rub off.

Couldn't post the video of Codee, but did find a photo.

DjZbu-kUUAAyIei.jpg

Last edited:
Zonkeys, zorses, zebrules, zonies, etc are completely distinguishable from either parent.
It's nothing new, they've bred them for decades to study genetics, more importantly to try to develop an African work animal that was immune to the tsetse fly. The offspring inherits the stripes and the wild nature of the zebra.
They have the hardiness and intelligence of a mule and the wild instincts of a zebra. Not a good work animal. It takes a real expert to train zebra hybrids, let alone ride one.

Yeah, this woman in Argyle plans to train hers to ride and then make money off of it, probably. Why else would she open up to the public? Anyway, I'm not going to hold my breath but am curious how long it will take her to train him if she can do it at all. Only 3 months old and willful as fuck already, so I see a long road ahead of her.

Yeah, this woman in Argyle plans to train hers to ride and then make money off of it, probably. Why else would she open up to the public? Anyway, I'm not going to hold my breath but am curious how long it will take her to train him if she can do it at all. Only 3 months old and willful as fuck already, so I see a long road ahead of her.
I predict before it's a yearling, she'll get kicked or bitten, be too scared of it, and sell it to a circus, or give to an animal rescue.

When I moved from MN I had to place all my equine.
My dear sweet mini donkey Blossom went to a home to be married to a zebra.
She was too mild mannered and didn't fit in with the other donkey sister wives. So she now lives with a family that has a slew of kids. She's much happier there.

I was disappointed she didn't have a zonkey.
When I had her she mated with my pony and had a (hinny) mini mule. Cutest ever little mule.

Back