• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

Disturbing video shows a 13-year-old boy's backpack getting caught in the doors of his school bus, then being dragged nearly 175 feet as the bus drove away. Now his mother is suing the Utah school district, saying the bus driver intentionally dragged her child because he's biracial.

Brenda Mayes claims that the Davis School District bus driver has had a history of "racial animus" towards biracial children, and that animus almost led to her child being seriously injured, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday with the U.S District Court Northern Utah Division.

Video given to NBC News by Mayes' attorney shows the incident from February in which Mayes' son was departing the bus at West Point Junior High, roughly 30 miles north of Salt Lake City, when the doors closed on his backpack. The bus then moves, dragging the boy for what Mayes' lawsuit estimated to be 150 to 175 feet.

Mayes claims in her lawsuit that her son was subjected to racial discrimination, harassment, assault and bullying by the bus driver in violation of Title IX and Fourteenth Amendment protections.

The district, the county's transportation director and the bus driver are all named as defendants in the case.

Had the boy's backpack straps broken, he "would have dropped to the pavement and could have been run over and killed by the bus or could have sustained serious injuries by the fall onto the concrete," the lawsuit said.

"He could’ve been crushed," Mayes told NBC News on Thursday. "That wheel would’ve crushed him, one turn could’ve crushed him."

Mayes filed a complaint against the bus driver, John Naisbitt, but says nothing was done when she first brought up the incident with school officials. The transportation director, Dave Roberts, was dismissive of her complaints, Mayes said.

Naisbitt retired while the district was investigating, according to the lawsuit. The school district confirmed in a statement he no longer worked for them.

"All I wanted was them to change some type of policy," Mayes said. "Honestly got blank stares, no response, no anything."

She told NBC News this is not the first such incident involving Naisbitt.

He denied being a racist.

“Not at all. No. Look at my dog. He’s as black as could be,” Naisbitt told Fox13 News.

Def a shit driver and should be fired.

However, there is absolutely nothing in this story that suggests he's racist. What an outrageous, stupidass accusation to make. I like that he answered it the way he did. Ask a stupid fucking disrespectful question, get the same sort of answer in return.

The kid appeared to be perfectly fine afterwards, and was laughing about it. There were kids in the way and the bus driver could not possibly see the door or that a kid was caught. Mom seems like a greedy bitch trying to find a way to win the lottery. Not everything is about race.

Mayes claims in her lawsuit that her son was subjected to racial discrimination, harassment, assault and bullying by the bus driver in violation of Title IX and Fourteenth Amendment protections.

If I was gonna sue over this, it wouldn't be for those reasons at all.

Back