• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Jaded

Staff member
2jdnsci.jpg

Police say it happened in the parking lot of this Hy-Vee in the 3000 block of East 10th Street.

Bruce Babb had brought his 69-year-old mother shopping. She asked him to park closer to the door. She's handicapped and uses a walker. Babb refused and parked farther away from the door. Mom then got out of the car.

Witnesses say this happen and approached Babb, who gave on-lookers this incredulous take on the situation.

"The male subject stated 'it's okay, it's my mother' and then left the scene at a high rate of speed," said Kooistra.

Police caught up with him later in the day and didn't have to go far to find him. He was in the Minnehaha County Jail on a DUI charge, his 4th DUI charge.

Babb's rap sheet contains arrests for drugs, alcohol and assault.

http://www.ksfy.com/news/18501394.html

Trying to find a better pic....he's covering his face in the ones I can find. What a shithead.....

And he HIT HER WITH THE CAR before leaving! from the same article:

Sioux Falls Police Officer Sean Kooistra said, "The son then drove forward in the vehicle and struck the woman on her hip and knocked her to the ground."

A Sioux Falls man who drove his car into his elderly mother in a grocery store parking lot was sentenced to five years in prison.

Bruce Leroy Babb, 45, pleaded guilty in July to his fourth drunken driving offense in the past 10 years.

A prosecutor said he was forced to drop an aggravated assault charge because Babb's mother killed herself three weeks after the May 1 incident, in which Babb hit his mother after she complained that he parked too far away from the east-side Hy-Vee store.

Deputy Minnehaha County State's Attorney Paul Bengford said the 69-year-old woman's suicide note read, in part, "I can't understand why he hit me with a car except that he was drinking."

Defense lawyer Mike Miller said Babb lived with and cared for his mother. He asked for a sentence to the local jail rather than prison.

"In some ways, he's already been punished some by losing her," Miller said.

Babb began his statement to the court by admitting he is an alcoholic. He said he wants to use his time behind bars to get treatment and hopes to be a good father once he gets out.

Bengford said Babb's history, which includes at least eight drunken driving arrests and five convictions, warrants a penitentiary sentence.

Circuit Judge Brad Zell agreed.

"I really have little choice but to impose a penitentiary sentence," Zell said.

The judge revoked Babb's driver's license for life and urged him to get healthy.

"Not only for yourself, but if you can maintain sobriety, do it for your mother as well," he said.

Having already served three months in jail, Babb will be parole eligible in 21 months.

Reach reporter Josh Verges at 331-2335.

Back