• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

staysblazed_xo

♥ ⁴²⁰ queen ♥
https://au.news.yahoo.com/brother-shielded-sister-father-shot-dead-murder-suicide-012250715.html

A teenage boy may have desperately tried to shield his younger sister moments before their homicidal father shot and killed them both.

John Edwards, 68, killed his 15-year-old son, Jack, and 13-year-old daughter, Jennifer, at their West Pennant Hills home, in Sydney’s northwest, last week before turning the gun on himself.

Early ballistics reports show Jack may have been killed while “shielding” Jennifer, homicide squad commander Scott Cook said.

“That’s a heroic act,” he told reporters in Sydney on Thursday.

Det Supt Cook added the tests were inconclusive pending the final results of crime scene tests.

“I have no doubt the coroner will seek to run an inquest in that matter,” he said.

The financial advisor legally bought the powerful handguns used in the murders months earlier.

Edwards was believed to have been rejected from several pistol clubs before he was granted a “commissioner’s permit” from the NSW Firearms Registry.

It is understood the permit, which is granted by a delegate of the NSW Police commissioner, allowed him access to train at St Marys Indoor Shooting Centre, northwest of Sydney.

NSW Amateur Pistol Association president Brian Cheers, who has been on the executive team since 1988, says he has never heard of anyone having a commissioner’s permit before.

“It’s very rare,” he told AAP on Wednesday.

Edwards was believed to have been rejected from several pistol clubs before he was granted a “commissioner’s permit” from the NSW Firearms Registry.

It is understood the permit, which is granted by a delegate of the NSW Police commissioner, allowed him access to train at St Marys Indoor Shooting Centre, northwest of Sydney.

NSW Amateur Pistol Association president Brian Cheers, who has been on the executive team since 1988, says he has never heard of anyone having a commissioner’s permit before.

“It’s very rare,” he told AAP on Wednesday.

This begs several questions:

1) Why was he "rejected from several pistol clubs"?

2) What is a "commissioner's permit"?

3) And why is a "commissioner's permit" so rare?

Last edited:
This begs several questions:

1) Why was he "rejected from several pistol clubs"?

2) What is a "commissioner's permit"?

3) And why is a "commissioner's permit" so rare?

It would appear Aussie rules and practices around hand guns are different and much more stringent.

It would appear Aussie rules and practices around hand guns are different and much more stringent.

That was a given. The questions this story raise are far more specific.

The most important one, in my view, being: What did the pistol clubs see in him that made them turn him down for membership?

Not sure it matters much where the mother was. She could be dead or divorced. At any rate she was not mentioned in the story, so one assumes she was not around for whatever reason .....

Guess the police handle the request and can approve

But sources have told the Guardian that later in the year Edwards approached the registry itself and applied for a commissioner’s permit, which under the Firearms Act can be granted “to authorise the possession or use of firearms in such circumstances as the [police] commissioner considers appropriate”.

This time, despite having told other clubs not to make Edwards a member only a few months earlier, the registry gave him the permit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ren-got-gun-permit-from-nsw-firearms-registry

The questions this story raise are far more specific.
The most important one, in my view, being: What did the pistol clubs see in him that made them turn him down for membership?

WORD !!! That's the most important question for me too.

That was a given. The questions this story raise are far more specific.

What is a pistol club?
Why would he want to join one?
What are the membership criteria?
What reason could there be for exclusion?

What is a pistol club?
Why would he want to join one?
What are the membership criteria?
What reason could there be for exclusion?

I am pretty certain a pistol club would be a club for people who want to practice marksmanship as a sport, and that because that is their purpose, their members get to hold a weapons permit and holding such a permit can acquire a pistol legally. That should take care of the first two questions.

So, mentally ill people CAN get weapons in Australia as well. So, it seems we need more stringent rules on crazy people. :sarcasm:

Latest posts

Back