• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A Saginaw man has been charged with first-degree child abuse for injuries his girlfriend's one-year-old sustained.

Saginaw Police believe the baby was shaken last September.

On Sept. 12, a mother brought her 1-year-old daughter to the Covenant HealthCare emergency room in Saginaw. The infant was suffering from seizure-like symptoms, prosecutors allege.

Medical testing at Covenant HealthCare revealed it was likely not the first time she had been hurt.

The little girl has since been released from the hospital.

The boyfriend, Waylan Bebout, faced a Saginaw County District Court judge Thursday morning to be formally charged. If convicted, he faces up to life in prison.

Shaken Baby Syndrome typically occurs out of frustration or anger on the part of a parent or caregiver, states the American Association of Neurological Surgeons.

“Babies have very weak neck muscles that cannot fully support their proportionately large heads,” the AANS states on its website. “Severe shaking causes the baby’s head to move violently back and forth, resulting in serious and sometimes fatal brain injury. These forces are exaggerated if the shaking is interrupted by the baby’s head hitting a surface.”

A Saginaw man is to spend the next few years in prison for violently shaking his ex-girlfriend’s toddler daughter. Yet when the chance arose for him to potentially get less time due to a technicality, he opted to move forward with his sentencing and express remorse to his victim and her family.

Saginaw County Circuit Judge Manvel Trice III sentenced 24-year-old Waylon G. Bebout to 4.75 to 10 years in prison, with credit for 720 days already served in the county jail.

Bebout in October pleaded no contest to one count of second-degree child abuse.

In exchange for his plea, the prosecution dismissed a count of first-degree child abuse, which is punishable by up to life in prison.

“He has indicated to me he doesn’t want to delay this any further, that the victims have waited long enough, and he wants to take responsibility for his actions,” Melton told the judge. “I think what just happened with him shows a positive going forward. Mr. Bebout hasn’t made any excuses to me about this. He knew his actions were reckless.”

The case against Bebout dates back nearly three years to September 2018, when a Saginaw mother brought her 18-month-old daughter to the Covenant HealthCare emergency room. The infant was suffering from seizure-like symptoms, prosecutors alleged.

The mother had briefly left her child in Bebout’s care while she ran some errands, prosecutors have said.

Before the sentence was imposed, Melton said there was no consensus among medical experts that the child’s injuries were caused by Bebout shaking her.

Saginaw County Assistant Prosecutor Sara Brady countered that CT scans revealed the child suffered multiple subdural hematomas and retinal hemorrhages in eye, injuries associated with shaken baby syndrome. Brady also referred to statements Bebout himself to investigators.

“He was in the kitchen with (the child), his 18-month-old victim,” Brady said. “He picked her up and swung her around. She cried from being dizzy, so he shook her to stop her from crying. She cried a minute or two before he set her in a chair, where she became unconscious. Mr. Bebout’s response to that is that he shook her even harder.”

Bebout saw the child go limp, Brady said.

Trice also cited a doctor’s report describing the child’s injuries as consistent with shaken baby syndrome. The doctor also noted the child suffered significant head trauma.

he child was healthy when her mother left her in Bebout’s care, Trice said. The force the child endured was strong enough to break arteries in her brain, something the judge said was significant.
Afforded the chance to speak by Trice, Bebout expressed contrition.

“First and foremost, I want to apologize to the victims,” he said. “At the time, I only wanted to be a family and at the time, I never wanted to hurt either of them or their family or disrespect them in any shape or form, your Honor. It really comes to my mind that I was reckless and careless in the way I handed my stepdaughter and the way I went about the situation when she went unconscious and the way I reacted, it was careless, your Honor.

“My intentions were never to hurt her,” he continued. “I don’t have any malice in my heart toward children or anything like that.”

Bebout said he wants to be a father himself someday and hoped he could have been a father figure to his girlfriend’s daughter.

“I was wrong in thinking that I knew what I took, ‘cause I don’t,” he said, adding he has spent his time in jail so far reflecting and bettering himself.

“First and foremost, I want to apologize to the victims,” he said. “At the time, I only wanted to be a family and at the time, I never wanted to hurt either of them or their family or disrespect them in any shape or form, your Honor. It really comes to my mind that I was reckless and careless in the way I handed my stepdaughter and the way I went about the situation when she went unconscious and the way I reacted, it was careless, your Honor.

“My intentions were never to hurt her,” he continued. “I don’t have any malice in my heart toward children or anything like that.”

Bebout said he wants to be a father himself someday and hoped he could have been a father figure to his girlfriend’s daughter.

“I was wrong in thinking that I knew what I took, ‘cause I don’t,” he said, adding he has spent his time in jail so far reflecting and bettering himself.

What ever his intention was he hurt that baby and needs to do the whole ten years.

Any woman who has a child by him or allows their child to be near him needs to watch him like a hawk.

Yeah he is remorseful in court becasue tis is someone more powerful than him deciding his fate.

Back