• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
1567688029914.png

A 12-year-old boy says he is "lucky to be alive" after a metal spring from a trampoline shot into his back.

Jamie Quinlan, from Lincolnshire, was bouncing on a friend's trampoline on Saturday when the spring broke off and became embedded in his back.

He said he felt a "very strange" sensation in his back followed by "a lot of pain".

His father, Ian, from Louth, said his "heart dropped, [and] sank down to my knees" when he saw the accident.

Jamie said the spring was "so heavy" and added he could not believe "I've been through all this".

"It must be rarer than a lightning strike," the schoolboy said.

"I was lucky that the hook actually broke off or it could've been a lot worse."

He was taken to hospital with the spring still impaled in his back. It was removed in an operation under local anaesthetic.

"It was very, very scary," said Mr Quinlan.

"My heart was in my boots.

"It could've been his neck or his head so we were very, very lucky. Very lucky indeed and thank our lucky stars it wasn't more serious."

The schoolboy said he had been playing in his friend's garden with several other children when he came up with the idea of all of them jumping on the trampoline "at the same time".

He said he had no idea the spring had ripped through his T-shirt and was lodged in his back.

"All my friends looked shocked," he said.

Sounds like this was an old trampoline; an accident waiting to happen and they, no doubt, exceeded the weight limit. Ours has a vinyl cover over the springs as well as a net around the jumping area. I had never even thought about the possibility of a spring breaking.

Back