• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
:jawdrop:

And I thought I had bad days at work.

Wow, seriously, thank you. I genuinely appriciate the insight. That "grandma's jaw" comment made me chuckle.

If you'd indulge me with one more question... why did you eventually choose these professions? I could be completely off the mark, but I'm guessing most kids don't say "I can't wait to be...". I'm just grateful there are brave souls like you out there. Thank you for what you do.
Actually, I was that weird kid who wanted to work with the dead. My mum taught history, and for as far back as I can remember I've been fascinated with mummies and the rituals surrounding death. I fell into EMS in college, and I love it, but it's an exhausting career. 24-hour shifts, no holidays, and constant stress are great for young folks or serious adrenaline junkies, but take a huge physical and mental toll. Keeping the living alive means crazy hours and my husband is a 9-5 Monday-Friday type, so I wanted a career with similar hours, so off to mortuary school I went. Fortunately, the dead typically require less immediacy, and working for a large funeral home means I only work standard business hours these days.

I'll start a thread soon to detail some more of the reasons I do what I do, but I hope this is satisfying for now.

And thanks, it's nice to be appreciated. <3

I'm already a fairly "different" kind of person. I have plenty of friends, I'd even venture to say I'm relatively popular. But I don't share many of my day-to-day thoughts with them, or anyone, because frankly, I don't think most would get it. I could just be completely insane, but a little part of myself tells me that you beautiful folks -- and myself -- gather here anonymously because we're the only sane ones watching this world slowly implode into dust and feel the need to say something. I think occasionally the odd ones are the normal ones. ;)

And yes... much respect for what you do!

There's a crawl space door accessible in my house, that goes farther back in, behind the walls. (creepy, I know!) :O I guess it's possible that she crawled in something like that. But I would have thought she'd have bought her precious purse in with her.

There's a crawl space door accessible in my house, that goes farther back in, behind the walls. (creepy, I know!) :O I guess it's possible that she crawled in something like that. But I would have thought she'd have bought her precious purse in with her.
Ya know, you're right. If she was a bit "touched in the head" and treated her purse like a security blanket, I can't imagine her going even so far as the dark, spooky closet without it, especially if she went in with the intention of not coming out; she'd have wanted her "teddy purse."

Thank everyone for all the great tips. Locked and stored in my memory if the need for use ever arises :writer:

Any long lost roomates in there?

So, it definitely was her:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2221459/raven-joy-campbell-woman-found-dead-inside-apartment-wall-watch/

Raven Joy Campbell was found dead inside of an apartment’s wall in Lomita, California. Authorities say that other tenants complained about horrible smells, which led to Campbell’s discovery.
Raven’s body was found on Thursday, July 2, 2015, at the Harbor Hills Housing Project — at the 26000 block of Western Avenue. Authorities mention that Raven was reported missing on June 4, 2009.
NBC 4 Los Angeles reports that Campbell’s body is believed to have been inside the apartment’s wall for the last six years. While tenants complained, search dogs from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department used those odors to find Raven.
At first, Campbell’s identity wasn’t available. However, family members came to the scene after hearing about the discovery. Once there, they told authorities that they believe the body’s remains are those of the missing Raven Joy Campbell.

That roommate has some explaining to do.

That article stops short of saying that police have IDed the body, though. It just says that relatives insist it's her. It probably is, but some things don't add up...

The article states that it is her body. But I know what you mean how it doesn't say Police have identified the body.

Sometimes there can be alot in what they DON'T say. Or in how they don't say it. You know what I mean, jellybean?

The coroner has now officially identified the remains, it's her. RIP Raven, hope we find out what happened to you. And I still want to know who the hell made that phone call to the family—they had to be familiar with the apartment, the situation, and have the family's phone number.

http://ktla.com/2015/07/09/body-fou...nt-wall-idd-as-woman-who-disappeared-in-2009/

A body that was found inside the wall of an apartment in a Lomita-area public housing complex has been identified as that of a woman who lived in the unit when she went missing in July 2009.

The body was confirmed to be Raven Campbell’s by the coroner’s office Thursday, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department announced.

Campbell had lived in the unit in the 26800 block of Western Avenue — in the Harbor Hills complex — when she vanished six years earlier, the department confirmed.

As soon as her remains were discovered last week, Campbell’s family members said they believed the body was that of their missing relative. They faulted investigators for failing to better examine the apartment where Campbell lived with a roommate at the time of her disappearance.

“Who did this to her? She didn’t deserve this,” Johnson said, her eyes tearing. “Y’all help me find out what happened to my baby, please.”

About two weeks before the discovery of the body, someone had called the victim’s sister to say the person believed the victim’s body was in a “downstairs apartment in the wall of the closet behind the stairs,” Campbellhumphrey told the Los Angeles Times last week. The family contacted the Sheriff’s Department, and the detective assigned to Campbell’s case went to the apartment, a sheriff’s lieutenant told the Times.​

AR-150709457.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Human remains excavated from inside a wall at a Lomita housing project have been identified as those of 31-year-old Raven Joy Campbell, a woman who vanished six years ago without a trace.

Homicide investigators released Campbell’s identity Thursday, but did not disclose a cause of death. Coroner’s officials said Sheriff’s Department investigators had placed a security hold on the case.

Sheriff’s Lt. Steve Jauch said detectives know the cause but they need to keep that information to themselves while conducting the investigation.

“We’re interested in everything about the residence from the time Raven lived there until the time that we found her,” Jauch said. “It begins with a missing person’s investigation from where her body was found last week.”

Campbell was reported missing in June 2009 from her Harbor Hills Housing Project residence in the 26800 block of Western Avenue, the same place where her body was recovered on July 2, deputies said in a statement.

Authorities discovered the remains after an anonymous tip.

Campbell, who was described as developmentally disabled, went missing on June 4, 2009.

Her case went cold, but was featured recently on a television news program and fliers were distributed where she had lived. Someone saw the flier and anonymously directed deputies to a wall at the Harbor Hills Housing Project, family members said.

A family living in the unit was relocated.

Campbell lived with her mother in Los Angeles until 2008, when the woman had a stroke and later lived with her brother. She had a son who did not live with her and survived on disability benefits.

She moved into an assisted-living home in Los Angeles, grew distant from her family and eventually ended up at the Harbor Hills project.

Family members did not know she lived there until she disappeared.

http://www.dailynews.com/general-ne...-as-missing-31-year-old-harbor-hills-resident

Sheriff’s Lt. Steve Jauch said detectives know the cause but they need to keep that information to themselves while conducting the investigation.

I'm pretty sure that is because they have a strong suspicion that this poor woman was murdered. I really hope they figure this out.

Randolph E. Garbutt, 43, is charged with one count of murder with a special allegation that he used a dangerous weapon, a hammer, to kill Raven Campbell, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office. An autopsy determined she died of blunt force trauma to the head, prosecutors say.

Campbell, who was 32 when she disappeared in 2009, shared the Lomita home where the remains were found with Garbutt, reports CBS Los Angeles.

An anonymous tip last July reportedly led investigators to the apartment. Investigators knocked down a wall and made the gruesome discovery, reported the Los Angeles Times. They excavated the body and eventually identified the remains as Campbell.

Campbell's sister told the Los Angeles Times last year that the family had also received an anonymous phone call, and the caller said "they think her body is in [a] downstairs apartment in the wall of the closet behind the stairs," reports the paper.

Neighbor Jose Luna told the paper he had heard other people in the apartment complex complain about a "terrible smell" near the unit where the body was found.

Garbutt was scheduled for an arraignment Monday. He faces up to life in prison if convicted.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/roommate-charged-with-cold-case-murder-after-remains-found-behind-wall/

Hmm... Very strange. Gatekeeper's link says that she'd grown distant from her family and they didn't even know where she lived until she went missing. But the original reports said she was reported missing by her family? I'm a little confused.

Last edited:
Hmm... Very strange. Gatekeeper's link says that she'd grown distant from her family and they didn't even know where she lived until she went missing. But the original reports said she was reported missing by her family? I'm a little confused.
They may have been looking for her and tracked her down to that apt with that roommate. Then the roommate said (?) She left, left all her stuff, even her purse.

Also, I want to make special note of her growing distant from her family... That's a classic sign she was being controlled and abused by that roommate. Not saying its a fact, but, he is accused of murdering her. So there's a good chance he was.

I really enjoyed that movie!

I'm going to watch that movie...today!

How fitting that he gets what is basically a crawl space (cell) or otherwise a very small room for himself now...that's lovely! Thanks GOD!

Last edited:
A man was sentenced to 11 years in prison for killing a woman whose body was found sealed in a Lomita apartment wall in 2015, officials announced Tuesday.

Randolph E. Garbutt, 47, pleaded guilty last month to voluntary manslaughter in connection with the death his roommate Raven Campbell.

The victim’s body was excavated from behind a wall of a home on July 2, 2015. Campbell had been missing since 2009, when she was 31, and officials determined she died of blunt force trauma to the head.

The criminal complaint against Garbutt indicated he used a hammer to kill Campbell.

A detective received a tip that her remains were in the wall of an apartment in a public housing complex where she had lived with her friend, the friend’s boyfriend, and Garbutt, officials said at the time.

It is unclear how the body ended up behind a patched-up hole in the wall of a closet.

Garbutt was arrested seven months after the body was discovered.
1570622754952.png

@Satanica @EyEgOrE
Myesha Smith, Garbutt's ex-girlfriend and the mother of his child, helped him bury Campbell's body after he murdered his then-roommate.

After wrapping Campbell's body in a blanket and a sheet of plastic, the duo made a makeshift grave by making a hole in the closet wall and digging under the floor, the Daily Breeze reported.

Smith later testified under an immunity deal that Garbutt had told her that Campbell needed to die because "God wanted her".

The victim's whereabouts remained unknown until Campbell’s family received an anonymous tip in June 2015. Some of the neighbors also started complaining of a foul odor coming from the residence.

Upon interrogation, the accused initially told investigators that he had suffocated her with a plastic bag after Campbell had fallen and hurt her head while returning home one day because he was afraid he will be blamed for her injuries.

Back