• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Matthew Wetherington, 34, the man identified as the person of interest after four bodies, presumably of a mother and her three kids, ages, 5, 6, and 9, were found in a burned mobile home trailer where he lived, was arrested Saturday night and was booked into the Clallam County Jail.

Wetherington was booked on four counts of murder and one count of arson, investigators said.

Police have not confirmed the identities of the bodies or the exact number but said Valerie Kambeitz, Lilly Kambeitz, Emma Kambeitz and Jayden Kambeitz are all unaccounted for and the sizes of the bodies found in the burned trailer, which went up in flames around 2:30 a.m., indicate children are among the dead.

Wetherington is a Level III sex offender, according to the Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs’ online database.

Police couldn’t immediately clarify Wetherington’s relationship to the mother but Facebook posts and pictures indicate the two were married. Police didn’t believe he was among the dead.

The fire was reported early Saturday at the Welcome Inn Trailer Park along Highway 101 in Port Angeles. Cellphone video shared with KIRO 7 showed massive flames, which police said spread to a second mobile home and several cars.

A man in the second mobile trailer escaped through a window, according to police.

State and federal investigators have been called in to help with the investigation. Police have not yet said what caused the fire but have been working to connect with witnesses and anyone who recorded video of the fire.

"We'll go wherever the facts take us,” said Port Angeles Police Chief Brian Smith, who told KIRO 7 the coroner will identify the bodies and determine the exact cause of death for each. “Looks like small people, which indicates children, but again, that’s not definitive.”

Last edited by a moderator:
he was a sex offender right? he was probably abusing them so he set the fire to cover it up but he's a fucking idiot caz they know he's a sex offender. this is my home state. i hope they give him the death penalty

Look at those happy, smiling kids. I'd like to gut this guy myself, and I'm not a violent person. What the hell kind of monster would so casually destroy these innocent children?

Yeah, I betcha that mama found out that he was messing with one or all of these kids and was about to out him.

April 13, 2020
The COVID-19 pandemic is delaying the processing of evidence for the Clallam County Superior Court trial of Matthew Timothy Wetherington, who is charged with four counts of aggravated first-degree murder and one count of first-degree arson in the deaths of his wife and three stepchildren.

Wetherington, a registered sex offender who joked with his attorney Friday over not wearing a face mask in the jail’s inmate holding room, had his status hearing continued to 1:30 p.m. May 15 by Judge Brian Coughenour.

On July 6, 2019, the 35-year-old Port Angeles resident allegedly killed 34-year-old Valerie Kambeitz and her children, who were 5, 6 and 9 years old, before setting fire to their Welcome Inn Trailer Park home in west Port Angeles.

His trial, originally set for Sept. 9, 2019, now is scheduled for Oct. 5.

All five charges carry maximum penalties of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

He is being held in the county jail on $5 million bail.

Wetherington has been convicted of first-degree child molestation, first-degree burglary with sexual motivation, first-degree robbery, second-degree assault and unlawful imprisonment.

Sheriff’s Deputy Brandon Stoppani had distributed flyers in the trailer park shortly before the murders notifying residents that Wetherington was a convicted sex offender and was living in the area, according to the probable cause statement.

He had married Kambeitz May 4.

“I love my wife very much,” he told Port Angeles Police Detective David Arand, according to the probable cause statement.

“I loved my kids. I don’t understand how I could do something like this.”

“All my mind keeps asking is ‘why?’ ‘Why’ One of the things that keep replaying in my mind’s eye is the first thing my wife said ‘What am I doing … What am I doing? Indeed, why did I do it? Why, indeed …’”

1590191648451.png

Last edited:
Matthew Timothy Wetherington has been sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole for the murders of his wife, Valerie Kambeitz, and her three children.

Wetherington, 36, pleaded guilty Monday to two counts of first-degree aggravated murder for the killings at the Welcome Inn RV Park in west Port Angeles in July 2019.

The four victims — Valerie Kambeitz, 34, Lilly Kambeitz, 9, Emma Kambeitz, 6, and Jayden Kambeitz, 5 — died of blunt- or sharp-force trauma to the head before Wetherington set fire to the residence in the early morning hours of July 6, 2019, investigators said.
Wetherington did not offer a statement after pleading guilty to the murders.

Back