• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

You can really smell the Florida on this one!

A Florida charter captain was arrested for boating under the influence of alcohol after reportedly threatening and holding his passengers hostage while on a 12-hour fishing trip over the weekend. The captain was also allegedly under the influence of drugs during the trip.

Captain Mark Bailey, 36, was hired by Carlo Lopeparo, 35, for a day-long fishing excursion in Sarasota on Sunday. Lopeparo paid $2,000 for the trip and brought his friends and family, the Herald-Tribune reported.

However, seven hours into the fishing trip, when the group was nearly 60 miles offshore, things became violent.

According to the Herald-Tribune, the son of one of the passengers, Jason Rialmo Jr., 15, went to get a beer for his uncle, Lopeparo, from the captain’s pail on the second deck of the small charter boat. Bailey allegedly told the teen to put it back but Rialmo Jr. thought he was joking and brought the beverage down to the group. Bailey reportedly followed Rialmo Jr. and grabbed him by the necklace, which broke.

Lopeparo then reportedly got into an argument with the captain and began “yelling and screaming” before other passengers intervened.

The passengers tried to get the captain to return to shore around 2:45 p.m., but Bailey continued to steer the boat another 10 to 15 miles out. According to the passengers’ police reports, Bailey was drinking beer and rum during the trip. One passenger claimed to have seen the captain snorting cocaine and another alleged he was smoking a joint.

At one point on the trip, Bailey allegedly called Christopher Giuffre Jr., 23, up to the second deck and threatened him by saying, “I have a 9 mm and if I want, I will put a bullet in each of your heads and leave you out here,” the Herald-Tribune reported.

The group said they considered overtaking the captain, but his gun prevented them from doing so as they feared being injured. Bailey allegedly shot his handgun approximately six times while they were on the boat.

Bailey finally started heading back to shore, but once he made it within 10 miles of the Sarasota shore, he reportedly continued to go in circles. However, Giuffre Jr. was able to get a cell signal and told his family what was happening. He also called 911 and the Coast Guard.

Two and a half hours after Giuffre Jr. was able to place the calls, around 1 a.m., Bailey finally steered the boat back to the dock.

Was this a BYOB type fishing excursion?

It depends on the charter agreement, but most charter boats do provide sandwiches, beer, sodas and water for their clients on excursions, in addition to all bait, rods and tackle needed - the licensing for charter fishing boats also covers all fishing permits necessary for the clients/customers to be able to legally fish in both fresh and salt waters.

It depends on the charter agreement, but most charter boats do provide sandwiches, beer, sodas and water for their clients on excursions, in addition to all bait, rods and tackle needed - the licensing for charter fishing boats also covers all fishing permits necessary for the clients/customers to be able to legally fish in both fresh and salt waters.
Then I guess he had a right to be mad because
. According to the Herald-Tribune, the son of one of the passengers, Jason Rialmo Jr., 15,
Because he could lose his license and be fined for a 15 yo getting the beer.

yeah.... that's going to work for his defense. And maybe the teen sneaked it for himself, but maybe he did just get it for uncle, but this time the skipper pulled a gun and physically threatened a teenager. When all a reasonable skipper would say is "knock it off, I could lose my license!! You'll never charter me again if you let that happen!" But instead, he chose a hostage situation.

I was thinking the exact same thing! Even though he was getting it for his uncle, I would imagine it would still be illegal!
It is. My daughter (15 at the time) was going to carry my stepmoms wine to our table at a restaurant and the waitess and manager yelled at all of us. They said if the right person saw that (undercover alcohol cop) they would be fined and lose their license.

Then I guess he had a right to be mad because

I think the Captain got pissed off and blew his shit about the beer because:
Jason Rialmo Jr., 15, went to get a beer for his uncle, Lopeparo, from the captain’s pail on the second deck of the small charter boat.
He took the beer from the captain's pail, ie: the captain's own beer stash.

I think the Captain got pissed off and blew his shit about the beer because:

He took the beer from the captain's pail, ie: the captain's own beer stash.
Yeah sure. Besides being a crazy drunk. It would piss me off too if some 15 yo was grabbing from my stash.

I think everyone was out of pocket... But captain crazy pants took it to a whole different level.

Yeah sure. Besides being a crazy drunk. It would piss me off too if some 15 yo was grabbing from my stash.

I think everyone was out of pocket... But captain crazy pants took it to a whole different level.

Well, considering they were 60 miles offshore, and territorial waters only extend to 13.8 miles offshore, I think had the teen gotten a beer from any other cooler, there would've been no issue with the captain or the crew.
At 60 miles offshore, and in international waters, a teen could get an alcoholic beverage for himself (with parent/guardian permission) and there'd be no legal consequences for the captain/crew at all.

IMO, the kid probably didn't realize he took the single beer from the captain's pail (a charter captain should not be drinking *at all* with passengers on board), and ignored the captain, who responded in turn with getting physical with a minor, and when the adults rightfully objected and asked to end the tour (the captain would keep his entire fee, btw) the captain panicked and pulled his gun, threatening to shoot them all.
If he was worried he'd lose his license for drinking while piloting a charter, and for assaulting a minor, he's now got waayyy bigger worries, and will probably not only lose his charter license, but also his ability to own a firearm - forever.

(ETA: spelling error)

Last edited:
The captain of the boat has no business being drunk and should lose his charter license regardless.
This. Its illegal to consume alcohol/drugs and drive a boat. Period. Kid grabbing a beer, whether for him or his uncle, would have cause less legal problems than his drug and booze fueled hostage situation is going to cause him.

Back