• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Totemic

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
In 2013 ActivisionBlizzard was looking for investors to help them break away from Vivendi, a French company that has a bad reputation in gaming circles. In pursuit of that, they were helped by a company called Tencent, this is a giant Chinese company, many of the top gaming companies have some type of tie to this organization. See this article for all the companies: https://bit.ly/30PdBOe

Over the weekend, there was an interview with a GrandMaster player of a game called Hearthstone, this player made statements supporting the release of Hong Kong from mainland China. This announcement from Blizzard has caused quite the fiasco.

The following subreddits have become a twisted knot of anti Blizzard spiel. I am linking a few of the sub reddits below:

This, naturally, has sparked a lot of... let's call it "discussion". As of writing this it's the top thread on r/worldnews, r/gaming, r/hearthstone as well as other Blizzard subreddits including r/overwatch, r/starcraft, r/heroesofthestorm and r/warcraft3. It also makes up nearly the entire frontpage of r/Blizzard.

The fallout on this is still going. Not sure if everyone is following along with the riots in Hong Kong, but they are brutal.
What they want is some return of the Democratic policies they used to have before Hong Kong was handed back to mainland China

Last edited:
They love making games about standing up against oppression, fight the evil bad guy etc...

What they say by their IRL actions - We'll sell our soul when money is on the line...

<edited because writing is Haaarrdd>

Last edited:
All those anti America asshole athletes and ESPN analysts seem to be pro China’s abuse of people’s rights and murdering of its citizens as long as they get paid it’s all good. Disney is coordinating this BS for Chinese money and that head liberal asshole Eisner wants to be the next liberal president of this country, bunch of two faced hypocrites
Harden is a pile of shit, a great big pile of hypocrite crap:asshat:
Edit
Let me tell you how I really feel about our outspoken athletes and ESPN hosts :finger:

Last edited:
In Hong Kong, some protesters wear projectors to avoid face recognition

Just for comparison, stop climate change Extinction Rebellion dances disjointedly in the street while someone chants dumb cliches

Talks shit while posting a link to polygon..the irony lol

The reality of it is that in a few days, none of this will matter. A player gave a personal opinion and the company decided it wasnt what they stood for and banned him. This isnt a first, nor a last.

Those who are playing will keep playing regardless of which twitch streamer or Esport dude threw in the towel. Few weeks and those same people who quit will be right back at it because you dont just walk away from your source of income and fame. That fame, and most importantly the viewers, don't transfer off to other games.

If being an older pc gamer has taught me anything..its that we will bend over and take it raw as long as we can still play. Every single gaming company ever has had a PR distaster on the same level as this and not a one of them has ever been forced to be accountable in the end because we gamers are fickle people who like to bitch and complain without expecting actual results because to get those..we'd have to stop playing. And that's not going to happen.

@Sudonim, it's true, gamers are typically fickle. For me, Blizzard could fold up and I wouldn't lose any sleep. I don't play Overwatch, never played WoW. I played Diablo and Warcraft games (before online). I think they did overreact in the response, they could very easily have come out and said, "Hey, we didn't appreciate so and so saying what he said, consider this a warning", but they went full on nuclear on him.

I think they did overreact in the response, they could very easily have come out and said, "Hey, we didn't appreciate so and so saying what he said, consider this a warning", but they went full on nuclear on him.

It was a personal opinion that didnt belong in the platform it was brought out. Its not like the guy just tweeted it from a personal account. Imagine what would happen if at your next boardroom meeting you dropped the same stance. You'd more than likely see repercussions. This wasnt a stance on another game or company..it was a very loaded political stance dealing with sovereignty. It doesn't get more loaded than that.

It will be a warning to all the rest to stay in line and keep personal thoughts in check while on the job. Cause thats what it is to them. Employment.

It wasn’t a player giving a personal opinion it was the NBA and ESPN, kissing oppression’s ass
All those losers crying daily about police violence and oppression, speaking out against America for not being perfect, went silent or ass kissing when it affected their bankbook
All these outspoken NBA owners and players suddenly went silent when it affected their paychecks and ESPN is suddenly not allowing opinions from their ugly on the air mouths that like to roar about American political oppression
Seems some posters have no idea what is going on or are so hypocritical and full of shit they avoid threads like this altogether
Lot of posters on here hypocrites just like Harden
Where is outspoken Steve Kerr's and Mark Cuban’s political comment
Suddenly they don’t have one

When It Comes to China, Silence Is Golden
The N.B.A., like other American businesses, has shown that it’s willing to play by China’s rules in exchange for China’s money.

Are NBA stars and coaches hypocrites for not speaking out on China?

The “Woke” NBA’s Response to China Is Pathetic

ESPN ordered hosts to stay silent on Hong Kong protests after NBA-China fight

ESPN faces criticism over its coverage of Hong Kong tweet and the NBA
Post automatically merged:

It was a personal opinion that didnt belong in the platform it was brought out. Its not like the guy just tweeted it from a personal account. Imagine what would happen if at your next boardroom meeting you dropped the same stance. You'd more than likely see repercussions. This wasnt a stance on another game or company..it was a very loaded political stance dealing with sovereignty. It doesn't get more loaded than that.

It will be a warning to all the rest to stay in line and keep personal thoughts in check while on the job. Cause thats what it is to them. Employment.
Really, but the constant political bullshit during before and after games during halftime and sports shows daily that’s ok as long as it’s not oppression by China
You apparently don’t watch sporting events and have never heard of ESPN or Disney for that matter
Or your just another hypocrite

Last edited:
It wasn’t a player giving a personal opinion it was the NBA and ESPN, kissing oppression’s ass
It most definitely was an opinion of a player. And I use opinion lightly, its borderline incitement.

He put on the gas mask they are using in the protest and yelled "Liberate Hong Kong. Revolution of our age". He very publicly called for a revolt against China..during an interview about how he performs in a pixel game. It was not the stage for it, no matter which side you are on. There's a time and place for everything. Politics have no place in gaming. Same as religion or any other nonsense.

I get your stance. And yes I know what ESPN and Disney are about. My personal opinion..Americans should keep their noses out. Those living in glass houses shouldn't cast stones. Do your senators not have anything more urgent to deal with than a gamer being banned for breaking a tos in a game?

Im not sure why you are even screaming about ESPN. This was an interview on Blizzards Taiwanese twitch stream. Majority of the people watching were Taiwanese. I bet the amount of Americans who watched it stream live were exactly...zero.

The guy flat out said he did it because he knew it would get attention and that he knew there would be repercussions. He was willing to do that and willing to accept the consequences. So why not just let him do exactly that? Its not even a permanent ban. One year. I can almost wager that Hong Kong is still protesting by the time he's been unbanned.

It most definitely was an opinion of a player. And I use opinion lightly, its borderline incitement.

He put on the gas mask they are using in the protest and yelled "Liberate Hong Kong. Revolution of our age". He very publicly called for a revolt against China..during an interview about how he performs in a pixel game. It was not the stage for it, no matter which side you are on.
There's a time and place for everything. Politics have no place in gaming. Same as religion or any other nonsense.

I get your stance. And yes I know what ESPN and Disney are about. My personal opinion..Americans should keep their noses out. Those living in glass houses shouldn't cast stones. Do your senators not have anything more urgent to deal with than a gamer being banned for breaking a tos in a game?

Im not sure why you are even screaming about ESPN. This was an interview on Blizzards Taiwanese twitch stream. Majority of the people watching were Taiwanese. I bet the amount of Americans who watched it stream live were exactly...zero.

The guy flat out said he did it because he knew it would get attention and that he knew there would be repercussions. He was willing to do that and willing to accept the consequences. So why not just let him do exactly that? Its not even a permanent ban. One year. I can almost wager that Hong Kong is still protesting by the time he's been unbanned.
Any link, or just more of your bullshit
You really have no idea what you’re talking about do you, just make shit up as you go along
Guess it doesn’t fit your agenda
This is an anti -Trumper nightmare. alll those outspoken athletes, ESPN and Disney owned
Trump haters, proving to be hypocrites of the highest order
To the liberal hypocrite its now been made obvious to everyone, it’s not what’s being done but who’s doing it and whether it lines their pockets
Guess asian lives don’t matter!
These are the same athletes that found trump disgusting for his Muslim ban, yet have no issue with China’s Muslim concentration camps

NBA players, executives denounce Donald Trump's Muslim ban as 'B.S.'

Last edited:
Asian lives do matter. That's exactly why they should be allowed to deal with their own territorial issues without other countries becoming involved...over a video game of all things. Asinine behavior.
It’s about Chinese oppression! oppression! opposition! Dissidents being executed!! Concentration camps! no freedom of speech! And obvious American hypocrite liberals!
Apparently your hopeless, so I’ll just ignore you from now on
Bye

It’s about Chinese oppression! oppression! opposition! Dissidents being executed!! Concentration camps! no freedom of speech! And obvious American hypocrite liberals!
Apparently your hopeless, so I’ll just ignore you from now on
Bye
How is letting two countries work out their own disputes oppressive? Oppressive would be favoring one side over another..

I dont live there. My opinions shouldn't matter in the outcome of what happens.

The hypocrites of the NBA keep on giving

At this point, it’s fair to wonder: What values does the NBA really stand for? In recent years, the league has taken pains to exhibit a concern for “social justice,” with prominent players speaking out in favor of almost exclusively progressive political causes and executives encouraging such activism.

Most notably, in 2016 the NBA used its influence to push a gender ideology and lobby against a “bathroom bill” law in North Carolina that would have protected women in private spaces — going so far as to move the NBA All-Star game out of Charlotte to New Orleans. Far from avoiding political controversy, the league seemed to embrace it when the targets were American conservatives.

Athletes hypocrisy, “Fuck oppressive Trump” all liberals cheer run out buy hypocrite athlete’s jersey, athletes make billions

But when it comes to the most oppressive country in the world China they say “ looove China”
Otherwise China pulls jerseys and all endorsements and the hypocrites lose billions

And now all the woke hypocrite liberals avoid the whole issue
Cause they've been cheering these hypocrites on for several years now, cause they were all SO against oppression and police brutality
What happened where did all the woke go?
Guess the woke are only woke when someone else is footing the bill and they profit from it

lot of people, who represent a lot of money.

In an interview last year, the league’s Deputy Commissioner Mark Tatum revealed NBA China — which manages everything NBA-related in the country — was worth more than $4 billion.

Think of that number as one humungous incentive to keep China happy.

Which brings us back to Mr Morey’s tweet.

The Chinese government didn’t like it. So, by extension, the Chinese companies who partner with the NBA didn’t like it either. Every last one of them responded by suspending their ties to the league.

Now this Is how to respond to an oppressive government and a hypocrite NBA
South Park creators give 'official apology' after reports the show was scrubbed from the Chinese internet

Seems he’s out of favor with those that favor democracy and liberty
Bummer Hong Kong Jersey sells aren’t enough to affect his earnings only realty to NBA fake woke stars
Seems if the the liberal NBA woke could, they’d be playing for oppressive China in the next Olympics

LeBron James no longer King James for Hong Kong protesters
They also trampled on jerseys bearing his name and gathered in a semicircle to watch one burn.

James’ standing among basketball fans in Hong Kong took a hit because of comments the NBA star made about free speech. Fans gathered on courts amid Hong Kong’s high-rise buildings Tuesday to vent their anger.
. LeBron under fire after blaming China row on 'misinformed' Rockets GM
Post automatically merged:

Users also spread a doctored image showing James's smiling face imposed on the giant portrait of Mao Zedong overlooking Tiananmen Square.

Last edited:
BlizzCon will be fun. Even after they backed off on some of their punishments. I think Blizzard over reacted, and went full on Nuke, and realized they fucked up.

Do I think the dude deserved some punishment for his actions, surely, actions have reactions, but not to the extent they did so.

Back