• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!

A black man recovering from pneumonia has said he was arrested on suspicion of stealing his IV drip after he left hospital to take a walk on doctors' orders.

Shaquille Dukes said that when he went outside in his gown a "racist" security guard accused him of "trying to leave the hospital to sell the IV equipment on eBay".

He said police in Freeport, Illinois, were called and he was arrested for attempted theft of the IV equipment "that was clearly attached to my arm".

Mr Dukes said his brother was also arrested and claims police took his inhaler and watched as the IV line was removed "not by a doctor".

He posted videos of the incident on Facebook and wrote: "I make this post not for pity, but as a beacon of hope for all black and brown minorities dealing with the City of Freeport, we do not have to take this s*** any longer!"

Full Story:

Freeport Police Department
June 18 at 3:03 PM ·
June 18th, 2019
STATEMENT FROM FREEPORT POLICE DEPARTMENT REGARDING ACCUSATIONS OF POLICE MISCONDUCT DURING ARRESTS MADE IN THE AREA OF FHN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL ON JUNE 9TH, 2019.
On June 9th, 2019 at approximately 4:38pm, Freeport Police Officers responded to the area of Stephenson Street and Whistler Avenue after they were summoned to this location by a Freeport Health Network (FHN) security employee. The security employee who requested assistance is not a sworn police officer and is an employee of FHN. The intersection of Stephenson Street and Whistler Avenue is adjacent to the real property that comprises FHN Memorial Hospital.
During an ensuing investigation by responding Freeport Police Officers it was determined that a hospital patient along with two other subjects had committed acts of disorderly conduct during an interaction with an FHN security employee. As a result, all three subjects involved in the verbal dispute with FHN security personnel were arrested and charged with misdemeanor Disorderly Conduct. In addition to the Disorderly Conduct charges, two of the subjects involved in this incident were also charged with an additional count of misdemeanor Resisting or Obstructing a Peace Officer.
The charges against all three subjects are merely accusations and all are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Several social media posts have since been created which contain inaccurate information regarding the incident and departmental response. In one of the social media posts, an individual wrote “officers stood by and watched while my IV was removed on the sidewalk, and it was NOT by a doctor”. This statement is misleading, as the IV was removed at the request of the subject by FHN medical personnel (not security or police).
The Freeport Police Department urges the public to reserve judgment while a complete review of the incident is performed. Additional information will be provided by the Department once all information has been reviewed. The Department will continue to responds to requests for assistance in a manner consistent with our mission statement of providing and maintaining a safe living and working environment for the citizens of Freeport.
https://www.facebook.com/freeportpd...JhkR_xUTpRIso35fAUi0WIlFwORlJQg&__tn__=EEHH-R

I'm going with McDanel's explanation. Perhaps one of the reasons they have patients walk inside is due to the presence of cigarette smoke outside or the possibility that the patient would sneak a smoke.

Typically you're suppose to walk the halls or around the entrance. If you are having a smoke typically nobody will say shit.

When I was stationed at a small hospital every year there was a shortage of wheel chairs around the end of the fiscal year when the departments were broke. Nurses would scour the hospital for them. People would load them up when they left with family members. It was so bad when you went to the town festival every year most of the wheel chairs people were in said the name of the hospital. Medical equipment theft is a real problem.

Back