A house was extensively damaged by a fire early Friday after a man tried to light a cigarette after spraying a nightstand with alcohol to kill bedbugs, officials said.
Colerain Township emergency crews responded to the house in the 2500 block of Crest Road just after 2 a.m.
Fire officials said six people were in the home and everyone escaped.
Colerain Township Battalion Chief Tim Beach said the homeowner was trying to eliminate bed bugs using isopropyl alcohol in a pump sprayer in the bedroom.
"At the end of this process, he attempted to light a cigarette and the bedroom caught fire," officials said.
The flash ignition burned the homeowner who was taken to Mercy Fairfield Hospital for treatment.
“Spraying a flammable substance in a confined area with improper ventilation is not advised,” Beach said. “This is best left to a professional exterminator.”
A house was damaged by fire early Friday after a man tried to light a cigarette after spraying alcohol to kill bedbugs, officials said.