• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A man in California was attacked by a mother bear on Monday after his dog tried to attack the bear's cub and the animal went after the dog.

The incident happened around 2:40 p.m. in the Los Angeles suburb of Sierra Madre, located in the foothills next to the Angeles National Forest.

California Department of Fish and Wildlife officials told FOX11 the man spotted the bearsin his backyard when his small dog began barking at it.
[....]
Sierra Madre Police Chief Jim Hunt told KTLA the man, in an attempt to protect his dog, kicked the mama bear who then slashed his calves and bit the back of his right knee.

The man, aged in his 50's, was taken to the hospital but was expected to be ok. The dog was taken to a veterinarian and also did not sustain any serious injuries.

Fish and Wildlife officers tranquilized the bears and took them away.
full

[....]

"Sierra Madre Police Chief Jim Hunt told KTLA the man, in an attempt to protect his dog, kicked the mama bear who then slashed his calves and bit the back of his right knee."

Painful lesson, but a lesson nonetheless. Idiot. He's lucky he's still breathing.

"The department said there is increased black bear activity at this time of year but that the bears rarely pose a threat to public safety or to dogs and cats. "

Doesn't look like a black bear - looks brown to me?
Black bears can have brown coats. This one appears to be cinnamon.

Last edited:
So the bears loose their habitat and the way she’s provided for her cub (hopefully one was it) for some idiot who let his dog run .. where bears and large cats are known to be.. asshole!

This was his backyard, are we not supposed to allow dogs outside ever again?

Black bears are everywhere now and attack for almost no other reasons than to defend their cubs. The homeowner of this yard had every reason to believe the dog would be safe, in his backyard. Not idiotic whatsoever to allow his dog to be in his backyard when the chances of this happening are so low.

Only idiotic thing might be defending the dog from the mama bear, but I can understand why someone would defend their pet without necessarily thinking it through.

This was his backyard, are we not supposed to allow dogs outside ever again?

Black bears are everywhere now and attack for almost no other reasons than to defend their cubs. The homeowner of this yard had every reason to believe the dog would be safe, in his backyard. Not idiotic whatsoever to allow his dog to be in his backyard when the chances of this happening are so low.

Only idiotic thing might be defending the dog from the mama bear, but I can understand why someone would defend their pet without necessarily thinking it through.

I have a home in the country I just moved back to in East Texas ... we have wildlife that shouldn’t attack that does ... I have a designated fenced off area for my dogs to run for some protection. I am assuming from the article he allows a little dog to roam in open wilderness. Hell I worry more about hawks & owls than land creatures. If he lets the dog free roam .. yes that’s less than smart in my book. I have a nine pound dog and a close to hundred pound dog.. neither roam freely in the wooded terrain.. we have wild dogs.. snake nest.. wild hogs.. cougars.. coyotes.. not including air animals and gators. I guess it depends on your comfort level.. if he’s a vested resident he knows there’s increased bear activity this time of year with cubs and all.. error on humans may be in danger side.. they even post warnings.. in Colorado my big dogs never ran freely.. unless with full vest and hunting..

Back