• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ells9824

Bold Member!
Two of four bartenders were convicted of grievous bodily harm by a Berlin state court on Monday for their role in serving at least 44 shots of tequila to a 16-year-old German boy who died after the drinking binge.

The 16-year-old boy got into a drinking contest against a bartender. But the four tricked the boy. While the bartender was drinking water, the 16-year-old was drinking schnapps. After 25 rounds he fell into a coma.

The court sentenced the two men, aged 21 and 18, to 10 months of social training.

Another was acquitted and a 4th has not yet gone to trial.

http://tinyurl.com/yswt6r

Well, I guess it is good to know that should I have th urge to commit a crime, I will do so in Germany. What kind of sentencing is this?

That was an absolutely terrible thing to do. And the sentencing they have received is laughable.

That was an absolutely terrible thing to do. And the sentencing they have received is laughable.

There are some people in the thread who would argue that the kid knew he was drinking alcohol, that he should have been aware of the risks he was taking, and therefore his death is his own fault and deserves no punishment whatsoever.

The bartenders, after all, were just trying to make a buck and have some laughs. What about THEIR liberties?

There are some people in the thread who would argue that the kid knew he was drinking alcohol, that he should have been aware of the risks he was taking, and therefore his death is his own fault and deserves no punishment whatsoever.

The bartenders, after all, were just trying to make a buck and have some laughs. What about THEIR liberties?

Actually, I rather doubt any of us Neo-Objectivists or Libertarians would may that. It is true that a large part of the blame rests on the dead kid, who made the choice to stupidly drink large amounts of booze. But in this case, the deception puts some of the fault on the bartenders too, who misrepresented the situation.

Actually, I rather doubt any of us Neo-Objectivists or Libertarians would may that. It is true that a large part of the blame rests on the dead kid, who made the choice to stupidly drink large amounts of booze. But in this case, the deception puts some of the fault on the bartenders too, who misrepresented the situation.

They only thing they misrepresented was their own level of sobriety. They weren't pretending that the kid was drinking water.

the details seem a bit askew; he was served 44 shots of tequila but then he was drinking schnapps and passed out after 25 rounds. i'm thinking they are using schnapps in a generic hard liquor sense=tequila. so he was doing shots before the contest started or they tubed him or...

dirty trick on the barkeeps side-

the kid was stupid - i hope he wasnt paying for the shots as well-

They only thing they misrepresented was their own level of sobriety. They weren't pretending that the kid was drinking water.

Dammit Swivel, I may have to agree with you to some extent here. I've put down a bit of alcohol in my day, (I'm sure a few of us have) and I started drinking at a young age. I would have never been stupid enough to drink that damn much. That kid knew he was getting totally wasted. Yes, those two fellows in the bar were adults and should have been responsible, but holy shit, he was 16, two years himself from being an adult. What the fuck?
Another note, the adults did not force the 16 yr old to take the drinks. This child made the decision to keep belting them down.
Just some thoughts.
If it would have been my 16 yr old child, I'd probably want to poor liquor down these two dudes throats with a feeding tube, I'd inserted myself...of course these boys would be tied up in my damn basement as well, and then later fed to my neighbors hogs. ;) Muahahahahahhaa

Yes, those two fellows in the bar were adults and should have been responsible, but holy shit, he was 16, two years himself from being an adult. What the fuck?

You need to realize that the United States is not the rest of the world. Our drinking age is abnormally high. Many countries have a sub-18 drinking age. In this case though, it seems that the bartenders violated national law, as 18 is the minimum for spirits. It is only wine (16) and beer (15) that can legally be served to him.

Hmmmm...

Yeah...I'm with gprime on this one. I doubt any of us would go that far. I agree with him that the kid certainly shares a great portion of the responsibility, but I also agree with limitations set when it comes to serving alcohol. The more intoxicated a person is, the less able to consent they are. When you're dealing with someone who is unable to consent, even suggestion should be punishable to some extent, just like people who take advantage of the mental handicapped in supposedly "consentual" situations.

Dammit Swivel, I may have to agree with you to some extent here.

Yeah, the only problem is that they were bartenders, and they are supposed to prevent over-drinking.

I'm sure this wouldn't have made the press if it was a frat-house joke. It is news because the pranksters were in a position of authority, and they abused it.

Latest posts

Back