Baby soup found in backpack of teenager starved to death.

• Hey, Guest, do you like free horror books? If you do, you may be interested in the Humble Book Bundle: Tales of Horror Giveaway. Check this thread if interested.
  • You must be logged in to see or use the chatbox

The liquefied remains of a tiny baby were found hidden within several plastic bags in the bedroom of an 18-year-old boy who was starved to death, a court heard.

A jury at Leeds Crown Court heard police officers made the disturbing discovery when police searched the home of Jordan Burling, 18, in Farnley, Leeds.

His grandmother, mother and sister are all accused of the manslaughter of a vulnerable adult.
full

This is some weird shit. I don't even know where to begin? I expected him to be disabled but he wasn't. How did this happen?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/liquefied-remains-baby-boy-found-12660353

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!

Satanica

Trusted Member
Bold Member!
Sep 3, 2013
Ratings
67,231 3,387 119
Texas
What a ghastly story. And, of course, I was having my morning snack and just the headline made me gag. I'm fine as long as I don't actually have food in my mouth. I've got to stay out of here when I'm eating.

DIAFplease

New phone, who dis?
Bold Member!
Apr 9, 2013
Ratings
19,514 2,216 2,730
I just want to know why the teenager was starved to death? They took him out of school at 16 and then what? It's as if they don't really give a shit what happened to either of them.
Post automatically merged:

A teenager was so emaciated when he died that his appearance was compared to that of a World War Two concentration camp victim. Why did his mother and grandmother, who have been jailed for his manslaughter, fail to call for help until it was too late?

Jordan Burling weighed under six stone (37kg) when he died, having wasted away due to extreme malnutrition.

His life ended on a makeshift bed in the lounge of the family home, where he had been confined for some months.

It wasn't the first tragedy at the house in Butterbowl Garth in Farnley, Leeds.

Jordan's grandfather, Herbert Cranston, took his own life in a bedroom in 2006. In another, Jordan's mother Dawn Cranston gave birth alone.

When she realised the baby was unresponsive, she wrapped his remains in plastic bags and hid them in a rucksack in a wardrobe, where they were not found until after Jordan's death in June 2016.

Dr Cleo Van Velsen, a consultant psychiatrist who assessed Dawn, told the trial the house was "sealed off" and the family had made a "psychic retreat into a cave" to protect themselves emotionally.

"You pay a price for that, for not connecting with the world; they reinforced each other's behaviour rather than challenged each other."

Dawn, a shelf-stacker at Poundland, moved into her mother Denise Cranston's home with her children, Jordan and Abigail, in 2002.

The trial heard the family rarely sat together to eat, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve aside, with the general rule being "if you're hungry, make yourself a meal".

Eighteen-year-old Jordan favoured microwave food: spaghetti bolognese, pizzas and sticky ribs, along with milkshakes and imported American sweets.

The lounge was cluttered with shoeboxes of Converse trainers Dawn used to sell on eBay. Abigail, who was convicted of causing or allowing the death of her brother, stored many of her possessions there despite living nearby, and visited the home frequently.

Neighbours described the family as "strange and reclusive".

"I saw [Jordan] very occasionally, I never saw him out on his own or with friends," said resident, Liam Morgan.

"He was a little chubby lad, very quiet - he didn't want to interact with anybody."

Social services became involved with the family in 2001, when a health visitor felt Dawn and Jordan's father Steven Burling were "struggling and need parental support".

In 2002, a primary school report stated there was a "general neglect of Jordan's basic needs", with the young boy lacking toilet training, having black teeth, and few language skills.

Not long after, the family was evicted from their home over rent arrears and the couple split up - sparking the move to Butterbowl Garth.
1540567743953-png.9271

1540567793260-png.9272

Last edited:

bigmtn

Dec 6, 2012
Ratings
1,192 185 19
I just want to know why the teenager was starved to death? They took him out of school at 16 and then what? It's as if they don't really give a shit what happened to either of them.
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 9271

View attachment 9272
I'm assuming that's his dead body with a blanket tossed over him. They lived with that for months. What. The. Hell?

DIAFplease

New phone, who dis?
Bold Member!
Apr 9, 2013
Ratings
19,514 2,216 2,730
No, that's the mattress propped against the wall. The entire family is crazy it seems but I cannot tell if he just stopped eating on his own or what? When he was small he couldn't speak or eat or use the bathroom so it could be a classic case of parents just setting a baby down and expecting it to fend for itself like a dog or cat. He used to be chubby. He was bullied in school. This article says he was taken out of school at 12 not 16. Hording and dead bodies seems to go hand in hand.

Sudonim

Feb 18, 2013
Ratings
9,693 527 113
This is some weird shit. I don't even know where to begin? I expected him to be disabled but he wasn't. How did this happen?
When he was small he couldn't speak or eat or use the bathroom so it could be a classic case of parents just setting a baby down and expecting it to fend for itself like a dog or cat.
England has a pretty broad paintbrush when it comes to the vulnerable adult label but I think you might have hit the nail on the head with the why's of him being classified that way.

In the law of England and Wales a wide definition is applied to meet the standard of vulnerable adult. Section 59 of the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 states that:

A person is a vulnerable adult if, having attained the age of 18, s/he —

1. is in residential accommodation,
  2. is in sheltered housing,
  3. receives domiciliary care,
  4. receives any form of health care,
  5. is detained in lawful custody,
  6. by virtue of an order of a court, is under supervision per Criminal Justice Act 2003 sections regarding community sentences;
  7. receives a welfare service of a prescribed description,
  8. receives any service or participates in any activity provided specifically for persons who has particular needs because of his age, has any form of disability or has a prescribed physical or mental problem. (Dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia are excluded disabilities),
  9. has payments made to him/her or to an accepted representative in pursuance of arrangements under Health and Social Care Act 2012, and/or
  10. requires assistance in the conduct of own affairs.
A main cause of being a vulnerable adult is usually a clinical-level cognitive impairment such as Down syndrome but can also be caused and/or exacerbated by other cognition issues and/or the long-term effects of abuse and severe neglect from an early age within a family structure. Some combination of abuse, severe neglect, and cognitive impairments, rather than any one of these things alone, is usually required for a vulnerable adult to become sufficiently vulnerable to be classed as a vulnerable adult.