• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A Shamokin couple has been charged in connection to the death of their death of their baby in 2016.

Derrick Yohe, 29, is charged with criminal homicide, three counts of aggravated assault, endangering the welfare of children, reckless endangerment, and other offenses. Emily Joy Kirby, 27, is charged with two counts of aggravated assault and related offenses, according to criminal complaint affidavits filed by Silver Spring Township Police, who have been investigating the incident since the child’s death on August 16, 2016.

Medical examiners say the child died by asphyxiating on vomit after ingesting edible marijuana, and had suffered a traumatic brain injury “days, weeks, or months” before her death, according to investigators. It was latter news that led to charges being filed against the couple, according to the complaint.

According to the complaint, ambulance crews were called to a home for the report of an infant in cardiac arrest. EMS personnel found Yohe performing CPR on the baby when they arrived, the complaint states. Yohe “continuously” told EMS personnel that the baby, a girl, had been showing signs of life, and had just been biting his finger before EMS arrived.

Police at the scene reported they could smell the odor of burnt marijuana, and the ambulance crew reported the baby displayed signs of rigor mortis as they were treating her en route to West Shore hospital, suggesting the child had been dead for two to four hours.

The baby was declared dead at the hospital about an hour after EMS first arrived at the scene, according to the complaint.

An autopsy performed on the baby indicated she had THC in her gastric fluid, which the examiner told police meant the child had ingested marijuana directly, and not through being exposed to second-hand smoke. The examiner determined that the baby died of complications from asphyxia after vomiting.

The child also had signs of hemorrhages on her face and neck and bruising on her scalp, the autopsy revealed.

Yohe admitted he was the only person caring for the child from 4 p.m. until 9 p.m. on the day the baby died, according to the complaint.

The age of the girl was not identified in the police report, but an obituary was found online that matched the initials provided by police in the report, the date of death and the parents' names of Yohe and Kirby. The child's birth date was Feb. 29, 2016.

An autopsy performed on Aug. 18, 2016, by forensic pathologist Dr. Wayne Ross in Dauphin County showed that the girl was "well built and well-nourished," but had dirt and debris in her hair and folds of her skin. The girl has multiple injuries on her head and neck, and the cause of death was "complications of asphyxia" and the manner ruled as homicide, Ross reported.

The child consumed marijuana by swallowing the substance. The evidence of THC found in the gastric fluid could not have been from second-hand smoke, according to Ross.

The girl's clothing and crib area were wet with urine and saliva. The diaper the girl was wearing was full of urine and fecal matter. Ross reported the amount of bodily fluid on the bedding itself would be consistent with the body excreting during strangulation.

Police also said the house was disorganized and messy, had cat feces on the floor and every room smelled of marijuana. Police found digital scales, marijuana, and brownies lace with marijuana.

Medical records indicate that the girl was born with THC in her system. Kirby admitted to smoking marijuana while pregnant, claiming she did research that told her it was healthy for the baby, police said.

Last edited:
. Yohe “continuously” told EMS personnel that the baby, a girl, had been showing signs of life, and had just been biting his finger before EMS arrived.
.The child also had signs of hemorrhages on her face and neck and bruising on her scalp, the autopsy revealed.

If you read between the lines, it sounds more like he stuck his finger/s in the baby's mouth to shut her up.

A Shamokin couple charged in Cumberland County were both high while their five-month-old daughter was dying in her crib after ingesting marijuana and asphyxiating on vomit in 2016, according to police in Silver Spring Township.

The couple and their child also lived with the girl's grandfather, James Kirby, and the girl's 4-year-old sister, police said.

This shit jumped off the page at me...

Too stoned to change her loaded diaper, but not too stoned to bake hash brownies. Who the fuck leaves an almost brand new baby lying in piss?

Kill them.

And where the fuck was grampa when all this was happening?
Being stoned had absolutely nothing to do with it.. I worked high all the time.. they’re just monsters..
Post automatically merged:

Their on meth.. or heroin.. her eyes and weight say heroin

Last edited:
Being stoned had absolutely nothing to do with it.. I worked high all the time.. they’re just monsters..
Post automatically merged:

Their on meth.. or heroin.. her eyes and weight say heroin

My apologies. Many people who get high would never ever think of harming or neglecting a baby. You're % correct. They ARE monsters. I didn't intend to imply that people who use drugs or medication for whatever reason are the same type who abuse children. I'm sorry and I truly meant no disrespect.

My apologies. Many people who get high would never ever think of harming or neglecting a baby. You're % correct. They ARE monsters. I didn't intend to imply that people who use drugs or medication for whatever reason are the same type who abuse children. I'm sorry and I truly meant no disrespect.
I didn’t mean to come across as a jerk.. I just hate people who blame their inner shitty lack of a moral compass and drug use or addiction on their monstrous actions. I think drug use and mental disease or some crazy ass shit you know you’re going to do some fucked up things on happen. Many addicts work normal jobs, go to school, keep life rolling and you would never know because they have gotten so good at living a double life. I did that for many years .. on top of the loss of my son I had ppd and I just didn’t care if anyone knew. I had the right mind to know I couldn’t always provide and I found a safe loving place I knew beyond a doubt I could leave my kids and left money for food. Assholes who do this shit or let their kids starve to death.. IMO were already callous jerks who were put out by having a kid, another mouth, another responsibility, and never should have gotten pregnant to begin with and something in them already knew that shit.

Last edited:
3 years to finally arrest them?? Seems too long for these assholes to be brought to justice. In the meantime, they continued to party with a 4-year old in the house.

"...the couple moved into the city earlier this year, and police were called to the house once in May."

Wonder what that was about.

I didn’t mean to come across as a jerk.. I just hate people who blame their inner shitty lack of a moral compass and drug use or addiction on their monstrous actions. I think drug use and mental disease or some crazy ass shit you know you’re going to do some fucked up things on happen. Many addicts work normal jobs, go to school, keep life rolling and you would never know because they have gotten so good at living a double life. I did that for many years .. on top of the loss of my son I had ppd and I just didn’t care if anyone knew. I had the right mind to know I couldn’t always provide and I found a safe loving place I knew beyond a doubt I could leave my kids and left money for food. Assholes who do this shit or let their kids starve to death.. IMO were already callous jerks who were put out by having a kid, another mouth, another responsibility, and never should have gotten pregnant to begin with and something in them already knew that shit.

You didn't. I did. I came across as a judgemental tight ass. I lashed out at the drug use because the mental image of a tiny girl lying in filth and not even cared enough about to be bathed made me helplessly enraged.

Dec 20, 2019
Yohe and Kirby were both allegedly high while their daughter was dying in her crib after ingesting marijuana and asphyxiating on vomit on Aug. 16, 2016. They waited for more than an hour before calling 911 after finding their infant daughter unresponsive and blue, according to Weikert's report.

A doctor determined in 2016 that the cause of death was complications of asphyxia and the manner of death was a homicide. An addendum sent in January by the county coroner showed that additional testing of the soft tissue behind the eyes of the child revealed a "traumatic brain injury in the days, weeks or months before the child's death," police said.

Yohe was charged with six felonies: One count of criminal homicide, two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of aggravated assault against a victim less than 13 years old, and one count of endangering the welfare of children. Kirby was charged with three felonies: one count of aggravated assault, one count of aggravated assault against a victim less than 13 years old and one count of endangering the welfare of children. Both individuals are also facing three misdemeanors each: Recklessly endangering another person, personal use of a small amount of marijuana and use and possession of drug paraphernalia.

They were supposed to have court dates in April & January no information on whether these appearances occurred.
1590190857166.png

A former Shamokin woman who along with her significant other were charged in connection to the 2016 death of their infant child has pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor of endangering the welfare of children.

Charges of aggravated assault, aggravated assault against a victim younger than 13, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia were dismissed against 29-year-old Emily Kirby.

Derrick Yohe, 31, remains in Cumberland County Correctional Facility on charges of criminal homicide, aggravated assault, aggravated assault against a victim younger than 13, child endangerment, conspiracy to commit aggravated assault, possession of a small amount of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Detective Seth Weikert, of Silver Spring Township Police Department, alleges in a criminal complaint that the child suffered a traumatic brain injury in the “days, weeks or months” prior to dying Aug. 16, 2016, as a result of complications of asphyxia.

The manner of death was ruled homicide.

Toxicology results and medical records say the child was born with THC in her system, was not taken to appointments after 3-months-old and died with THC in her system, which could not have come from second-hand smoke, according to Forensic Pathologist Wayne Ross.

During an interview with Children and Youth Services on Oct. 13, Yohe and Kirby allegedly admitted to making THC-laced brownies the day their child died.

Dr. Lori Frasier, professor of pediatrics and division chief of child abuse pediatrics with Penn State Hershey Medical Center, reviewed the information from the case and could not determine any underlying medical condition that would cause the infant’s sudden and unexpected death.

Derrick Yohe

F1 Criminal Homicide - Nolo Contendere

08/20/2021 Confinement Min: 8 Year(s) Max: 16 Year(s)

F1 Murder Of The Third Degree - Nolo Contendere

08/20/2021 Merged

Back