• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Valasca

Death, horror, torture
A British woman whose son was kidnapped in 1982 was finally reunited with him - through Facebook.

A British woman whose son was abducted almost 30 years ago was reunited with him - thanks to Facebook.

Avril Grube hadn't seen her son, Gavin, since his father took him to the Blackpool Zoo in 1982, according to the Times of London.

The dad, Joseph Paros, actually fled to Budapest with the 3-year-old boy, defying a court order, and Grube never heard from her son again.

All that changed last October, when Grube's sister, Beryl Wilson, typed the boy's name into Google and found a link to his Facebook page.

She sent him a message, and several agonizing weeks passed before 30-year-old Gavin Paros checked the social networking site.

Read more: "Facebook helps reunite British woman Avril Grube with kidnapped son after nearly 30 years" - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_...d_with_kidnapped_son_aft.html#ixzz0H2jLWSPg&A

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! What an amazing story!!! Too bad they all don't end up like this. they sure have alot of catching up to do :)

The relif that woman must feel! To know your child has been and is alive and well after so long... Oh I'm tearing up a bit here.

What a bittersweet reunion. I'm sure she's thrilled to know he's alive and well but my GOD I'd feel fucking ROBBED if I were her. Especially since they don't even speak the same language, so there's not much chance of them "catching up on old times."

And I can't believe he's still using his birth name. Usually kidnappers who want to stay hidden will change names or forge identities or something, right? Why couldn't anyone find him if he was still using his real name?

Wonder if he was kept out of school. Hungarians I corresponded with type English really well and this one guy said about everyone can speak it.

Especially since they don't even speak the same language

Are you guessing or is this something you know? He is likely better at Hungarian, having grown up there; but why would that preclude him being any good at English?

Are you guessing or is this something you know? He is likely better at Hungarian, having grown up there; but why would that preclude him being any good at English?

Because the article says he only speaks Hungarian and she only speaks English.

Quote from the article:
Communication was difficult at first. Paros has forgotten any English he knew as a boy, and Grube, left partially disabled by a stroke, doesn't know Hungarian.

Last edited:
:stupido3:

That'll teach me to read before I post.

That is a pity; but I somehow don't think they'll let that stop them.

What a nice story (aside from the kidnapping of course)i hope this family can find a way to communicate and though you can never make up for the time lost maybe she can get to know the man her son has become...

Back