• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
[....]
Investigators said 24-year-old Austin Shuffield got out of his truck and ask the woman involved to move her car, since it was blocking the parking lot exit.

The woman told police she moved her car into the parking lot and said Shuffield then approached her and started arguing.

Police said the verbal dispute then turned physical when Shuffield slapped the woman's phone from her hand as she tried to call 911.

Video obtained by NBC 5 from witnesses on-scene shows moments after Shuffield slapped the woman's phone from her hand, she hits him, then he starts punching the woman, at least five different times.

Shuffield has been charged with Assault - Bodily Injury and Interference with an Emergency Call.

Shuffield was booked into the Dallas County Jail and is being held on a $1,500 bond.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Parking-Lot-Attack-Caught-on-Camera-Man-Arrested-507494701.html

Deep Ellum is where all the bars, alternative living, drugs, NOT the places to cross someone.. parts have dark areas in the neighborhood part .. you have to park and walk from.. starts like a strip.. and wtf knows how much of drink & drug they have enjoyed.. personally she’s stupid.. when he slapped the phone you know he’s aggressive.. retreat time.. I told my girls from a young age don’t ever put your hands on a man unless you’re woman enough to take the hit back.. people DONT hit each other period (except when I have the paddle).. you take what you give.. when he chased her down to continue to argue my ass would have been finding a way in my car locked, in an open business or calling out to strangers like some old friend I had seen in years.. she got what her attitude demanded

Deep Ellum is where all the bars, alternative living, drugs, NOT the places to cross someone.. parts have dark areas in the neighborhood part .. you have to park and walk from.. starts like a strip.. and wtf knows how much of drink & drug they have enjoyed.. personally she’s stupid.. when he slapped the phone you know he’s aggressive.. retreat time.. I told my girls from a young age don’t ever put your hands on a man unless you’re woman enough to take the hit back.. people DONT hit each other period (except when I have the paddle).. you take what you give.. when he chased her down to continue to argue my ass would have been finding a way in my car locked, in an open business or calling out to strangers like some old friend I had seen in years.. she got what her attitude demanded

I don’t know. I agree with some of what you said. However, if someone slapped my phone out of my hand while I was attempting to call 911 (and I didn’t have my gun) I might be scared enough to assume I was about to take a punch anyway, might as well try to get him first. BUT I would’ve had the situational awareness to get back in my car when I saw that he was approaching me a second time. Not stand out in the parking lot like a sheep. You can prevent a lot of problems by not putting yourself in stupid situations to begin with. At least she tried to defend herself from, let’s be honest, what was probably going to happen anyway. Too bad she didn’t have much in hand to hand skills. She should’ve gone for something more vulnerable like the trach or solar plexus. Ballsack is probably too obvious.

I don’t know. I agree with some of what you said. However, if someone slapped my phone out of my hand while I was attempting to call 911 (and I didn’t have my gun) I might be scared enough to assume I was about to take a punch anyway, might as well try to get him first. BUT I would’ve had the situational awareness to get back in my car when I saw that he was approaching me a second time. Not stand out in the parking lot like a sheep. You can prevent a lot of problems by not putting yourself in stupid situations to begin with. At least she tried to defend herself from, let’s be honest, what was probably going to happen anyway. Too bad she didn’t have much in hand to hand skills. She should’ve gone for something more vulnerable like the trach or solar plexus. Ballsack is probably too obvious.
Why did she get out to be approachable anyway.. that’s NOT an area to go to alone anyway

I watched it on the local news it doesn’t look like a slap it looks like a closed hand punch from her.. wth knows what garbage these two were talking when he told her or asked, again, wtf knows to move the car blocking an exit (the) exit.. people are mouthy and rude as fuck here sometimes

Black activists were at City Hall yesterday. They say they're justified in calling for a hate crime due to Shuffield's social media posts. The victim is suing either way. The video confirms that he was holding a gun during this exchange, and nothing is blurred out so you can see the strength of his blows.

Damn this broad can take a punch. Perhaps they just werent landing flush, but he seems to be def putting some body into em. She should get into MMA or boxing or something, impressive.

No sympathy for her and i hope she doesnt win this lawsuit. Would not be dismayed in the slightest if she was arrested/charged too since she hit him first. What a fucking moron. Not saying she deserved a beatdown of course, but meh, how can anyone really give a shit when she was clearly acting a fool? Honestly watchin the vid i really dont understand why she wasnt charged as well. There was absolutely no cause for her striking him in the face.

Not surprised the perpetrator was white texas trash. Fuckin scumbag hicks down there, profound ignorance.

How is posting on social media that big black women like you the least bit racist??? These people are fucking idiots. Ive celebrated a great deal my good fortune with large black females and im about as far from a racist as you can get, unless were talkin prejudices and discrimination against white folk, which i am proudly guilty of.

Last edited:
A warrant for arrest was issued Tuesday against the woman who was attacked in Deep Ellum two weeks ago.

Dallas police charged L'Daijohnique Lee, 24, with felony criminal mischief because of the damage she did to the main suspect’s vehicle after she was attacked. The charge is a state jail felony because police have determined the damage was valued between $2,500 and $30,000.
[....]
DPD just found a way to charge HER with a felony,” said attorney Lee Merritt on Twitter.

Austin Shuffield, the attacker seen on video, has been charged with various misdemeanor charges -- like unlawful carrying of a weapon and public intoxication. Dallas police referred his case to a grand jury and recommended they charge him with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Dallas police said Tuesday they were merely following the letter of the law with the charge against Lee. Police say a charge had been pending since the day of the incident. Police say she admitted to breaking out the back window of Shuffield’s pickup after video shows him violently punching her in the face.

Police say the process of charging Lee started the morning of the assault, but they were waiting to get a damage estimate to determine if her charge would be a felony or a misdemeanor. They say Shuffield came back with an estimate that was more than $2,500, making it a state jail felony charge of criminal mischief.
[....]
"We understand there are some people that are upset. It's not the intention of the Dallas Police Department to pick one side or the other,” said DPD Deputy Chief Thomas Castro. “We simply had information that was provided to us on a criminal offense. We thoroughly investigated that offense and we took the action that was taken today.”

The Dallas County District Attorney's Office said it found out about the warrant from media reports on Tuesday afternoon.

"The District Attorney had no prior knowledge that an arrest warrant was issued. When and if charges reach the District Attorney’s Office, we will take appropriate action," the DA's office said in a statement.

Dallas police said they are prepared for any potential protests over the charge and asked that people exercise their First Amendment rights peacefully.

A $2500 back window seems a little steep?

http://www.fox4news.com/news/woman-...charged-by-dallas-police-for-damaging-vehicle

A felony criminal mischief charge filed against a woman allegedly assaulted by a man in a Deep Ellum parking lot March 21 has been dismissed by the Dallas County District Attorney, county officials confirm.
[....]
Lee's attorney, Lee Merritt, said Wednesday he expected Dallas County Distirct Attorney John Cruezot to drop the charge. Shortly before 1 p.m., NBC 5 confirmed the warrant was recalled and the charge was dismissed.
[....]
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/D...-Woman-Assaulted-in-Deep-Ellum-508059411.html

A special prosecutor has been appointed to handle the criminal charges against a man accused of beating a woman in Deep Ellum in March.

The change comes after two of Austin Shuffield's attorneys filed a motion last month saying the Dallas County district attorney's office had shown bias in their handling of the cases.

DALLAS - A Dallas County grand jury has indicted the man caught on video assaulting a woman in Deep Ellum on four charges.

Austin Shuffield, 31, is now facing two felony charges for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and unlawfully carrying a weapon and two misdemeanor charges of assault and obstruction of justice.
[....]
Attorneys Scott Palmer and Rebekah Perlstein defending Shuffield on the four charges.

“We are absolutely stunned that the aggravated assault was true billed as a case,” Palmer said.

“I think the impression that we had going in was that both the detective and the district attorney’s office that’s not been recused does not believe that this was an assault with a deadly weapon,” Perlstein said.

His attorneys say Shuffield put the gun in a pocket or waistband before striking Lee.

“In the video, you can clearly see Austin Shuffield brandish a firearm. They’re right he put it away because he took it out and he wielded it first,” Merritt said. “I think felony indictments were appropriate. I honestly would have liked to see hate crime charges pursued as well. I understand the hate crime charges are difficult to meet.”

The obstruction and retaliation charge stems from Shuffield slapping a cell phone from Lee's hand.

“She took out her phone and she told him that she was gonna call the police,” Merritt said. “It is illegal for you to smack her phone away. That was a crime. That was obstruction.”

Shuffield’s attorneys say the obstruction law has never been applied this way. They feel the grand jury was sending Shuffield a message.

“All of the cases are there and that you guys can work it out in the courtroom, which is what we’re going to do,” Perlstein said.

Both sides say the video supports their position. What a jury sees in the same video will determine Shuffield’s innocence or guilt.

No trial date has been set. The obstruction charge is a new one, and a warrant could be issued for his arrest. Shuffield’s attorneys were moving to keep him out of jail on bond.

DALLAS - The man who is facing felony charges for allegedly assaulting a woman in Deep Ellum appeared in court again Wednesday because of a recent DWI.

Austin Shuffield was pulled over in Collin County on Dec. 2 and arrested for driving while intoxicated.

That arrest violated the conditions a judge set when he initially bonded out of jail in March. A condition of his bond was to not drink alcohol or use drugs.

A Dallas County judge allowed Shuffield to remain out on bond, but she did impose stricter conditions.
[....]
He's now required to blow into an alcohol monitoring device at home several times per day. He must also submit to random drug and alcohol testing and attend Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meetings each week.

Shuffield told the judge he’s been sober since the December arrest and is working with an AA sponsor. He and his attorney wouldn’t answer questions after the hearing.

Wilson added that he is okay with the new conditions the judge set for the defendant.

The trial date has not yet been set for the Deep Ellum assault case.
[....]

Shuffield faces aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and aggravated assault serious bodily injury charges for the violence.

"The primary elements that are necessary are that there has to be a deadly weapon involved and then that the victim has to have a fear of death or bodily injury from it," said former prosecutor Demarcus Ward, who is not involved in the case.

Philip Wishard posted the video of the fight to Facebook under the name Ricky Tan, a character in the movie Rush Hour.

Wishard testified he heard Shuffield use the N-word and that he watched Shuffield strike Lee.

"It made me feel bad. It was disgusting," Wishard said in court. "He beat her like she was a man."

Scott Palmer and Rebekah Perlstein defended Shuffield.

They contend while Shuffield did have a gun, seen in the video by his side, but that it was not part of their altercation, and she did not mention to police that he had a weapon.

"In a case like this where a person has suffered medical injuries it is very common for the police to use other evidence other than the first statement that they get from the victim," said Ward.
[....]
Texas Health Presbyterian emergency room physician Michael Fawcett testified he saw lee when she showed up at the ER on March 20, 2019, 20 hours after the fight.

The point of contention was whether Lee suffered a concussion.

"My diagnosis was a head injury, not a concussion," Fawcett testified.

"The defense is going to argue the four corners of the medical records, because that is something that's tangible. The doctor obviously has specific training to speak and testify and treat someone for this," Ward said.

Russell Wilson and Messina Madson are the special prosecutors puts in place by Judge Lela Mays.

Mays disqualified the District Attrorney's Office because Shuffield's attorneys accused the DA's office of bowing to protest pressure, upping charges from misdemeanor to felony against Shuffield while dropping charges Dallas police brought against Lee for damage to Shuffield's truck.

Testimony in the case will continue on Wednesday.

The man caught on camera beating a woman during a fight in Deep Ellum will spend time in county jail and be on probation.

Jurors found Austin Shuffield guilty of misdemeanor assault and third-degree felony obstruction. He faced up to eleven years behind bars after being convicted Monday in the 2019 attack but both sides agreed to a plea bargain.

The victim, L’Daijohnique Lee left the courtroom and briefly spoke to reporters saying she is satisfied with the punishment.

“It is what it is,” she said. “At the end of the day justice was served.”

It took a Dallas County jury of seven men and five women about eight hours over two days of deliberations to come to a unanimous decision.

They found Shuffield not guilty of aggravated assault, despite him being seen on camera holding a gun at his side during part of the confrontation.
[....]
Shuffield, then a bartender, did not take the stand in his own defense but told police in a video interview played for the jury that he feared Lee would follow through with a threat to call her friends to come and ‘shoot him up,’ so he went to his truck to get his gun.

He told police he slapped the phone from her hand because of the same fear.

Prosecutors told jurors Lee was trying to dial 911 when the phone was thrown, though Lee acknowledged she was not during her cross-examination last week.

Video shows Lee hitting Shuffield after the phone is slapped away and him punching her several times in the head. Shuffield later admitted to police that more than one hit was "probably" excessive.

After the trial ended, special prosecutors Russell Wilson and Messina Madson explained why they agreed to the deal.

“We reached an agreement that was similar to a person who was not convicted of an aggravated offense,” said Wilson.

Wilson said they agreed to the plea bargain only after jurors found Shuffield not guilty of the more severe aggravated assault charges which could carry up to 20 years in prison.

Additionally, the issue over whether Lee saw the gun at Shuffield’s side was argued in court. Shuffield’s defense, which included attorney Scott Palmer, emphasized police body camera video where Lee did not report seeing a gun when initially questioned by police on the scene.

Wilson said he is pleased to have secured a felony against Shuffield for slapping Lee’s phone away.

“Which means he can never lawfully possess a firearm,” he said.

Shuffield’s defense expressed frustration at the felony conviction.

“This was a way to throw every aggravated felony charge at Mr. Shuffield in order to increase the chances or to satisfy a community that quite frankly three-and-a-half years ago was quite outraged,” said defense attorney Rebekah Perlstein.

Anger indeed erupted over the video that became viral and after Lee was briefly charged for smashing Shuffield’s truck windows following the attack.

“The decision to charge or attempt to charge Mr. Lee by the Dallas Police Department was perhaps one of the worst law enforcement decisions I have seen in my career,” said Wilson.

Perlstein admits the video is hard to watch.

“It’s hard to have a ton of sympathy for how we got here when we watched how a community called for him to be killed or shot or individuals to go to his home and retaliate,” she said.

She said Shuffield’s parents, who were present during the trial, even had to move from their home out of fear.

When asked what she wants to say to Shuffield following the verdict and sentencing, Lee simply said “nothing.”

As part of the plea deal, Shuffield will spend four days in the Dallas County Jail beginning immediately. He also agreed to settle a pending DWI case out of Collin County and spend 90 days in Collin County Jail.

The 34-year-old will be on probation for up to five and a half years.

Dallas County District Judge Lela Lawrence Mays added a stipulation for Shuffield to undergo outpatient treatment for alcohol, including completing a 12-step program and being tested for drugs or alcohol.

Shuffield has also waived the right to appeal.
[....]

Back