• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
cruisercrimescenetape.jpeg

Whoops!

[....]
The shooting happened Thursday around 5:15 p.m. near Canton Drive and North Collins Street. Police were doing a welfare check on a woman who was reportedly passed out in a grassy area.

As the officer began to approach the woman lying in the grass, he noticed an unrestrained dog. As he called out to the woman, the barking dog ran towards the officer, and he fired his weapon several times.

After the shots were fired, the woman yelled out and it was apparent she was injured. The woman was transported to a local hospital where she was later pronounced dead. Investigators believe the woman was struck by gunfire from the officer.

The incident was captured on body camera, which will be included in the investigation.

The woman’s name has not been released.

It’s unclear if the officer will face any charges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, shit, it was the daughter of the Captain of the Arlington Fire Department. The link is only on the Channel 5 app on my phone as of now, but someone can check the nbcdfw site and post it later. Her name is Margarita Victoria Brooks, known as Maggie. It does seem that it was probably her dog. She and her bf were known in the area and thought to be homeless. It's not clear why she was on the ground.

Oh, shit, it was the daughter of the Captain of the Arlington Fire Department. The link is only on the Channel 5 app on my phone as of now, but someone can check the nbcdfw site and post it later. Her name is Margarita Victoria Brooks, known as Maggie. It does seem that it was probably her dog. She and her bf were known in the area and thought to be homeless. It's not clear why she was on the ground.

You have a baton, taser, and pepper spray but you decide to send rounds flying over a dog? Who the fuck hires these idiots with no common sense and gives them guns?
Ever notice animal control officers don't have guns or pepper spray or tazers.
As an animal control officer, I had 3 tools available to me.
A leash, a leather citation book and a catch pole. I was never attacked. Came close a couple of times. That's where the citation book came in handy. I used it to jam into the dogs mouth to avoid being bitten. Walking backwards to my truck to get the catch pole.
But the people that gravitate towards being a police officer are usually scared and like the idea of having the power of a gun to prove they are the mightiest of all.

The Arlington police officer who shot and killed a woman while trying to hit an aggressive dog has resigned from his job.

Officer Ravi Singh’s deadly actions were under investigation with the Arlington Police Department.

His resignation means that internal affairs investigation has now ended and the criminal case is being submitted to the Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office.

The incident was captured on Singh's body camera, which will be included in the criminal investigation.

A grand jury will decide if he should face any charges.

They went with the lightest charge possible. Bullshit.

Curious if the victims family has gotten paid yet, this should at least help their cause.

This cop is a disgrace, and it's also disgraceful it took over a yaer to bring charges against this scumbag. Very disturbing how quiet society/the media was on this one. Hell, im curious why there was no fervor from the animal rights activists, the cop had no reasonable cause to start shooting at the dog, easily could have gotten out of that situation without firing off shots, accurate or not.

Im thinking the cop resigning was the depts attempt at sweeping this under the rug. Glad it didnt work. Curious if anything would have come of this if it werent for the heightened scrutunity on cop murderin this past year.

So, what is the charge? Looking for other sources.
Another page said Criminally negligent homicide. I read the article you posted here and he is quoted as saying to the paramedic “she was caught in the crossfire” damn that really fired me up. Crossfire is defined as gunfire from two or more directions. Lying idiot.

Her family is suing, and I don't blame them.

[....]
Likely due to the fact that Singh is only facing a maximum sentence of 2 years in jail, on Thursday, the family began seeking justice through civil means in the form of a lawsuit.

“Officer Singh knew that he was firing his weapon in precisely the direction where Ms. Brooks was peacefully lying in the grass,” the seven-page complaint states. “Officer Singh struck Ms. Brooks in the chest causing pain, agony and death.”

According to court documents, the family is seeking over $1 million in actual and punitive damages for wrongful death and for the violation of Brooks’ 14th Amendment rights. The family also hopes that this will lead to change in the Arlington police department policy to prevent further tragedies from taking place.

“Our hope is not only that this officer is held responsible for Maggie’s death, but that the Arlington Police Department is also held accountable for its lack of training and procedures in responding to welfare checks,” the family said in a statement.

As TFTP reported at the time, Brooks’ death was entirely preventable and was the sole result of irrational officer fear coupled with poor judgement and aim.

“It’s a puppy. This is a grown man afraid of a puppy. Who is the paid professional in this encounter? Every child, every mailman, every runner, jogger, bicyclist has dealt with a dog running at them and no one ends up dead. Why do you go to deadly force immediately?” Brooks’ father, Troy Brooks, said at the time Singh was charged.

Singh’s attorney, Kathy Lowthorp, responded to Singh’s arrest with the following statement, blaming the dog and not the cop who killed an innocent sleeping woman.

“Well, when you deal with a dog that’s ready to attack then the person in any one of those careers would have to do what they have to do to protect themselves. And there was malice against the daughter — she was just in the wrong place. The dog should’ve been on a leash.”

This statement rings hollow however, as Brooks’ father pointed out, pizza delivery drivers, package delivery workers, meter readers, and any other number of folks interact with dogs in the public on a regular basis, and do not kill them.

“As the officer called out to the woman repeatedly concerning her welfare, the dog began to run towards the officer while barking. The officer retreated backwards from the running dog while drawing his duty firearm,” police said at the time. “The officer discharged his firearm multiple times towards the dog. After the shots were fired, the woman yelled out and it was apparent she was injured.”

“Oh my God,” Brooks screamed. “The police shot me.”

Brooks was transported to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead. Her three children — ages 9, 11, and 13 — now live with their grandfather, who says this entire situation could’ve been easily avoided.

“Rule number one,” he said. “Don’t kill the citizens.”
[....]

ARLINGTON, Texas - A Tarrant County jury heard details about how a former Arlington police officer shot and killed a woman three years ago.
[....]
As Officer Singh approached, he repeatedly called to the woman. That’s when her dog started running toward him.

He opened fire. The three shots missed the dog, but one bullet struck Margarita Brooks in the chest. She died from her injuries.

A paramedic who was behind Officer Singh that day told jurors the officer immediately tried to stop the woman’s bleeding.

"I was doing rapid head to toe assessment of the patient trying to determine where her injuries were and what interventions were required. I was also, you saw, calling for additional resources. I was getting the rest of my team down there. I believe I advised dispatch what happened," Ashley Brandt said.

The paramedic also told jurors that Singh appeared to be in shock about what happened and that he looked horrified.

Singh resigned shortly after the shooting. He is charged with criminally negligent homicide and faces up to two years behind bars if convicted.

The dog was just nearby and ran up when the officer approached her. I'm sure it was a case of the officer being caught off-guard and reacting without thinking. He has seemed very sorry about it from the get go.

Former Arlington police officer Ravinder Singh, who was accused of negligent homicide in the death of a woman in 2019, was found not guilty by a Tarrant County jury on Monday.

The jury was handed the case shortly after 5 p.m. Friday and deliberated for about three hours before being sent home for the weekend.

Deliberations resumed Monday morning before the verdict was read at about 3:50 p.m.

The Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney's Office issued a statement after the jury's verdict was read saying that anytime use of force results in the death of a civilian they take the case to a grand jury and if the grand jury returns an indictment they prosecute the case.
[....]

It warms the cockles of my heart to see how people from all nations and all cultures can come to America, and integrate themselves into the police culture of pants-shitting fear of dogs, Imperial stormtrooper-level marksmanship, and total lack of accountability.

Back