• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

An arrest was announced Sunday after a machete attack on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia left one man dead and a woman seriously injured.

James Jordan, 30, of West Yarmouth, Mass., was arrested early Saturday on a federal complaint charging him with murder and assault with intent to murder in connection with the “senseless and brutal attack” on the two unidentified hikers, Abingdon U.S. Attorney Thomas Cullen said.

Jordan was known to hike the Appalachian Trail under the moniker “Sovereign,” WCYB-TV reported. He was arrested in April for threatening hikers on the Appalachian Trail in Tennessee, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to probation, according to WJHL-TV.

Mugshot for James Jordan, accused in a machete attack on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia early Saturday that killed a male hiker and severely injured a female hiker.

“I commend local law enforcement in Wythe and Smyth Counties for mobilizing successful rescue and tactical operations in this remote region,” Cullen said. “Thanks to their efforts, the suspect was safely apprehended and a seriously wounded victim received critical medical care.”

The victims were hiking together when they were attacked, WSLS-TV reported. Deputies responded sometime after 3:30 a.m.

The deputies used GPS to find the man in Wythe County after he sent out an emergency notification on his cellphone, the station reported.

Two hikers helped the woman after she walked six miles injured and bleeding, according to the station.

After Jordan's April arrest in Unicoi County, Tenn., he pleaded guilty to criminal impersonation, drug possession and public intoxication, WJHL reported. He also was fined as part of his sentence.

he looks spun and well done
Post automatically merged:

Update:

ya think?
plus, wtf, is he pulling a Norman Bates with mommys gown?

Uh, what's with the frilly collar?
I think that is actually a hood. looks like he is wearing a Tyvek PPE suit. Which could make it even weirder.

"Sheriff Mike Hensley of Unicoi County, Tennessee, said he did everything he could to keep Jordan locked up after he threatened hikers there and in other communities along the trail last month.

Hensley said hikers called his office in late April and said a man was threatening them and said: “It’s going to be a bad day for hikers on the trail.” He said he sent officers to the location described by the hikers, but the man was no longer there.

The next day, some other hikers complained about a man threatening them. Hensley said his officers found Jordan, who was intoxicated, and gave them a fake name and a fake identification. He was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, and criminal impersonation.

Jordan pleaded guilty to the charges and was later released. Hensley said the judge ordered Jordan not to return to the Appalachian Trail, but he was not charged with making threats because none of the hikers were willing to testify in court."
https://www.newson6.com/story/40474052/oklahoma-man-stabbed-to-death-on-appalachian-trail

Last edited:
A Massachusetts man charged with fatally stabbing an Iraq War veteran on the Appalachian Trail and severely wounding another hiker is not mentally fit to stand trial, a judge has ruled.

James L. Jordan, 30, was arrested May 11 on charges of murder and assault with the intent to murder in a hunting knife attack that killed Ronald Sanchez – a 43-year-old Army vet from Oklahoma – and left a female hiker seriously wounded along a remote section of the 2,190-mile trail in Wythe County, Virginia.

A federal judge on Wednesday ordered that Jordan – who was known along the popular hiking route as “Sovereign” – be taken to a federal facility “to be restored to competency,” the Boston Globe reports.

A judge ordered in May that Jordan be detained for a psychological or psychiatric examination to determine whether he suffered from “mental disease or defect” that would make him unable to understand the charges he faces or help attorneys in his defense.

The judge’s order also called for clarity on whether Jordan lacked “substantial capacity to appreciate the wrongfulness” of his alleged actions, the Globe reports.

Jordan had been acting in a “disturbed and unstable” manner before initially approaching four hikers on the trail, an FBI agent wrote in an affidavit.

Jordan did not speak during Wednesday’s brief proceeding. His attorneys and a prosecutor agreed to the findings of the competency exam.

"A federal judge on Wednesday ordered that Jordan – who was known along the popular hiking route as “Sovereign” – be taken to a federal facility “to be restored to competency,”

He's a lunatic and I find it difficult to believe he can be "restored to competency". Lock him up and throw away the keys!

I see the authorities caught my escaped lab experiment. Thanks guys!
5446300-batman%20%282016-%29%20002-022.jpg

Uh, what's with the frilly collar?
Oh that's prolly mountain dew and meth.

Am I the only one that's curious about what kind, brand and steel the machete was?
Yes because yer very fucking sick. Awesome question. I'm curious now too. Yer not just sick yer contagious :p

Last edited:
Having been on parts of the Trail, I find it amazing that the police were able to apprehend this deranged lunatic in what I recall as such a remote area! We’d walk for hours before encountering anything or anyone, just nature.

Very remote @TX Leather Face indeed!
I hiked the first 60+ miles North from the Southern Stone Mountain, GA starting point with some friends in '88, and during 9 days, we saw less than a dozen people on the trail itself.
We spent the last two days at a campsite with a tiny store and met many others from the trial there, but after we left and hiked to Neil's Gap for our ride, we didn't see another person for the last 7 miles.

Something about him reminds me of Lucifer from Supernatural. He doesn't really physically resemble him at all, but there's something in his eyes and that little smirk.
For me, it's Billy Baldwin.

Having been on parts of the Trail, I find it amazing that the police were able to apprehend this deranged lunatic in what I recall as such a remote area! We’d walk for hours before encountering anything or anyone, just nature.
The police in this area are no doubt experts in tracking. They probably know the territory like the back of their hand. I commend them for their expertise.

Last edited:
[....]
On Thursday, a federal judge accepted a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity from James L. Jordan, who had been charged with murder in connection to the death of 43-year-old Ronald Sanchez Jr.

Both the prosecution and defense reached an agreement for Jordan to plead not guilty by reason of insanity after a sanity elevation found that he suffered from schizoaffective disorder and concluded that he was "unable to appreciate the wrongfulness of his acts," Jordan's attorney said in a statement in court, obtained by PEOPLE

"Mr. Jordan is deeply remorseful for the profound sorrow he has caused. He regrets that his lifelong battle with mental illness ultimately resulted in this trauma and loss for innocent hikers and their families," the statement read.

Jordan has been committed to a psychiatric institution and "will not be released until a court finds by clear and convincing evidence that his release would not create a substantial risk of injury to anyone else," according to the statement.

"Mr. Jordan understands that continued treatment and medication will be required for the rest of his life," his attorney said. "Most importantly, he would like the victims and the family of Mr. Sanchez to know that he thinks about the damage he caused every day and that he would do anything to change the past if he could."
[....]

Back